Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2019, 01:58:32 PM
As interesting as I find the idea of all D3 State University of New York schools north of the Bronx coming together into two leagues under the aegis of the SUNYAC, since you've brought up the WIAC as a comparison it should be noted that the WIAC no longer contains all of the D3 members of the University of Wisconsin System. A few years ago, UW-Superior dropped out of the WIAC and joined the UMAC, reducing the WIAC from nine members to eight.

something similar did happen in the SUNYAC maybe 10 years ago or so. Morrisville State came up from the JUCO ranks in the mid-00s and immediately joined the SUNYAC; within about 2-3 years it was clear to everyone they were way over their head. Something like 2 conference wins in 3 years across the entire athletic department, combined. They amicably left to join the NEAC and were allowed to stay as a men's ice hockey affiliate member in exchange for also remaining as a field hockey affiliate (where they always get mollywhomped) so the league could keep the Pool A bid.

At the same time, the artists formerly known as SUNYIT** (now SUNY Poly) announced they couldn't keep up with the rest of the SUNYAC and were bouncing to the NEAC as well. Their name became kinda mud with the other SUNYAC schools subsequently.

Due to Mooville's difficulty transitioning, when Cobleskill, Canton and Alfred State (and most recently Delhi) came up from JUCO, the SUNYAC did not consider them for membership. This very much seems to have been the right call. Canton in the NAC and ASC in the AMCC seem like good homes. Cobleskill had OK men's basketball for a little while but just isn't competitively ready. Delhi, even if they do everything right through their transition period, is a decade away at least.

Ironically, I now think Morrisville State is on much better footing and doing so well in the NEAC that they could handle getting called back up. Poly I dunno. IIRC part of the problem was that they didn't really support/fund their non-basketball sports.

**I notice that the entire D3Network uses the SUNYIT name, which they abandoned back around 2014 for SUNY Poly. The sites also invariably call RIT "Rochester Tech," a name I have never seen nor heard used anywhere else. I wonder if Pat and crew might look into that during some down time this spring or summer.

fantastic50

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2019, 02:52:06 PM
I don't think that a double round-robin is ever detrimental. It's the fairest and best way to determine a conference champion, and conference play should always take primacy.

When the presidents and faculty reps look at scheduling, it's usually through the lens of travel costs and missed class time.  For conferences that are geographically spread out, there is some appeal to playing more nearby non-conference games instead of second meetings with far-flung conference peers.  The NCAC went this route for a while in basketball, avoiding the home-and-home series between Allegheny/Hiram and Wabash/DePauw.  However, the league eventually returned to a full double round robin, with each pair of perimeter schools making an annual trip to play other pair back-to-back.

Pat Coleman

Rochester Tech was how they were listed in AP scoreboards for ... decades, well before we started the website, and we used that nomenclature that people at the time would have been familiar with from perusing the scores listing in their newspaper.

On SUNY Utica-Rome, SUNYIT, SUNY Poly ... I guess I thought they might well change their name again and we would just wait for the next iteration. Every change of a school name on our site is a massive undertaking, which is part of the reason we don't list schools with "College" or "University" unless it is needed to distinguish two similarly named schools from each other.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Inkblot

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d3/memb/Feb2019D3Memb_Report.pdf

The applications of St. Thomas (TX), Pratt, and MUW have been approved and they will begin the provisional process this fall.

In other news, the committee recommended legislation to make third- and fourth-year provisional schools count towards a conference's minimum of seven, except for a newly formed conference.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

KnightSlappy

Provisional Pipeline for 2018-2019
First year full members: Alfred State, Illinois Tech, Iowa Wesleyan, McMurry (reclassifying)
*4th year provisional members: Belhaven
*3rd year provisional members: none
2nd year provisional members: Brevard, Dean, Pfeiffer
1st year provisional members: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
Exploratory: Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX), Mississippi University for Women.
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
Alfred State leaves the ACAA for the AMCC
Benedictine leaves D3 for D2
Frostburg State leaves D3 for D2
Manhattanville leaves the MACF for the SKY
New Rochelle (IND) closes
Newbury (NECC) closes
Penn State-Harrisburg leaves the CAC for a return to the NEAC
Southern Vermont (NECC) closes
Staten Island leaves D3 for D2
Stevens leaves the E8 for the MACF
St. Elizabeth leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
SUNY-Delhi joins the NAC
Texas-Tyler leaves D3 for D2
Thomas More possibly leaves D3 for the NAIA

Provisional Pipeline for 2019-2020
First year full members: (presume Belhaven)
*4th year provisional members: (presume none)
*3rd year provisional members:  (presume Brevard, Dean, Pfeiffer)
2nd year provisional members: (presume SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.))
1st year provisional members: Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX), Mississippi University for Women.
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Lindenwood-Belleville, Warren Wilson
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2020-2021
Keuka leaves the NEAC for the E8

Ralph Turner

Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 12, 2019, 07:48:04 AM

Provisional Pipeline for 2019-2020
First year full members: (presume Belhaven - ASC)
*4th year provisional members: (presume none)
*3rd year provisional members:  (presume Brevard, Dean, Pfeiffer  all 3 for USAC)
2nd year provisional members: (presume SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.) - SCAC)
1st year provisional members: Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX) - SCAC, Mississippi University for Women.
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Lindenwood-Belleville, Warren Wilson

Conference Changes Starting in 2020-2021
Keuka leaves the NEAC for the E8
Do Bob Jones and Warren Wilson land in the USAC?

Does the USAC  have enough teams by 2022 to split into 2 conferences?

Who wants Mississippi University for Women? They are a state school in the middle of D3-No-where.

Greek Tragedy

So if my Lakeland math is correct, the NECC will be down to 7 teams. Are they going to try to get more teams?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 12, 2019, 09:17:02 AM
So if my Lakeland math is correct, the NECC will be down to 7 teams. Are they going to try to get more teams?

I think this will be an issue ongoing for them. They were a stepping stone conference for Regis and an entry-to-D3 conference for Dean, not to mention a home for schools that apparently cannot afford to be open.

I was interviewed for a story by WGBH radio in Boston about this and Division III and higher education. Expecting to see/hear it in the next week and a half, but my understanding is the NECC declined to comment for the piece. It has to be challenging times for them.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

What made Eastern Nazarene move from the CCC to the NECC? I wonder if they're regretting that move, if it was their choice.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

Ryan Scott would be closer to that situation than I, but I believe it was an attempt to be more competitive across the board.

Gregory Sager

Perhaps Ryan's national notoriety and the fact that he's an Eastern Nazarene alumnus is forcing his alma mater to step up its game in terms of wins and losses. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 12, 2019, 02:43:16 PM
Perhaps Ryan's national notoriety and the fact that he's an Eastern Nazarene alumnus is forcing his alma mater to step up its game in terms of wins and losses. ;)

Sheesh .. that would be great for him and them. One would argue it hasn't done jack for me. ;) (For those associated with my alma mater, I am kidding. Tongue firmly in cheek.)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

I set that one up for you on a tee, and you knocked it out of the park, Dave.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 12, 2019, 11:18:28 AM
What made Eastern Nazarene move from the CCC to the NECC? I wonder if they're regretting that move, if it was their choice.

ENC is (and always has been) financially outclassed in the CCC.  Facilities and budget were just not competitive.  The President and new Athletic Director, I think, decided it would be more beneficial to be competitive than lose in a more respected league.  ENC has only won the league championship once - across every sport they offer over 25+ years in the CCC.

The CCC has continually pushed members to add sports and increase spending and that's not a reality for ENC.  They've already added track and golf in recent years - and I believe some of ENC's sports were already NECC affiliates (maybe MVB?)

I doubt they anticipated losing two members this year, but it's certainly been a good move competitively.  Almost every sport has been near the top of the conference, which is a welcome change.  One of the prior coaches once told me he only recruited kids from outside New England, because he knew he could get them from the airport to the school and back and they wouldn't be close enough to see how much better all the other facilities were.  That's the situation; the schools in the middle of a residential neighborhood; there's only so much that can be done.

Winning also helps recruiting - both for athletes and non-athletes.  ENC has been in some financial difficulty recently, too, like lots of small NE school.  It's got a denominational affiliation that provides a little more cushion than some of these other institutions and there's a new President coming in this summer.  I think it'll be ok, but so long as we can all swallow our pride a little bit, it's going to be a positive move to the NECC.

(Historical point you may not all know, the CCC almost broke up a decade or so back, nine of the then 14 teams voted to leave and form their own conference, three of the remainders (mostly weaker programs) left for other places and ENC was left the lone member for a few months.  The breakaway nine came back to keep their AQs, but ENC was sort of the turd in the punchbowl after that.)
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 12, 2019, 11:21:09 PM
I set that one up for you on a tee, and you knocked it out of the park, Dave.

LOL It was too hard not to resist. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.