Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Yep, thanks for flagging that.

CNU85

It's finally official!

Nothing surprising or unexpected. But a pretty cool video launch.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1329107107136692225

Inkblot

Quote from: CNU85 on November 18, 2020, 01:51:46 PM
It's finally official!

Nothing surprising or unexpected. But a pretty cool video launch.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1329107107136692225

I'm relieved to see the numeral "2" isn't actually in the name.

Anecdote time: After I noticed that name in the SVU release (which I posted about on page 74 of this thread), I mentioned it in the /r/CFB mod chat (I'm a mod of /r/CFB). We tweeted about it from the @RedditCFB Twitter account (https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1285679262641672195), even though it wasn't really football-related. Within an hour or two, the Capital Athletic Conference account DM'd us asking to take down the tweet because SVU had inadvertently leaked the rebrand.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Inkblot

How's this for vague?

QuoteAs the COVID19 pandemic continued heading into the start of the 2020-2021 athletic and academic year, there was an expectation that there would be institutions that would need to **** intercollegiate athletics and its fit within the institution. Collegiate Consulting recently completed a comprehensive Divisional Reclassification Study for a Division II institution exploring options at Division III.

The four-month project included an assessment of two Division III conferences within the institution's geographic footprint, which included institutional comparison, sports sponsorship, travel and opportunity for membership invitation. The study included the membership protocol and steps for an institution to reclassify into Division III.

The institutional assessment included sports and administrative budget analysis, staffing and salaries and total budget impact on the institution.  The final component was a SWOT Analysis comparing the pros and cons of remaining Division II or a reclassification to Division III. The institution is quietly reviewing the report and assessing its options as they consider the future of its intercollegiate athletics program.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That is for their clients or potential clients. Showing the kind of work they do without giving away their client information.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 15, 2021, 04:53:07 PM
Maybe not unexpected, but ... https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2021/02/delaware-state-pulls-plug-on-wesley

that's rough. Any early thoughts on what the AEC will do to replace them and save its AQs?

Pat Coleman

Not yet. There are definitely schools in the area that could be convinced to move, though. I would think that perhaps Eastern, which was in the Pennsylvania Athletic Conference back in the day with Cabrini and Neumann and Marywood and the like, might want to be in that league, but Eastern is also talking about adding football, which the AEC does not sponsor.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jeffconn

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 15, 2021, 07:20:11 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 15, 2021, 04:53:07 PM
Maybe not unexpected, but ... https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2021/02/delaware-state-pulls-plug-on-wesley

that's rough. Any early thoughts on what the AEC will do to replace them and save its AQs?
There's three D3 schools in the general vicinity looking for a stable conference. Christopher Newport, Salisbury, Mary Washington, and maybe Pratt or Trinity Washington.

Pat Coleman

It's highly unlikely that the AEC wants CNU, UMW or Salisbury. Trinity Washington would only bring an AQ in a very small number of sports and can't guarantee it can field those teams.

I don't know much about Pratt as an institution.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I agree with Pat - CNU, Mary Washington (travel wise), and Salisbury will NOT be headed to the AEC. Remember, two members (now one) left the CAC to form the AEC to finally put a little distance between themselves and CNU, MWU, SAL. They aren't going to now welcome them in.

As for Pratt, I think they would fit better in the NEAC or the CSAC. I don't think the AEC would be interested in taking them on.

And Pat says it well about Trinity - they just don't provide the numbers nor the apparent stability to really be a factor. Or they would already be in the CSAC, NEAC, or others.

Maybe Gallaudet could be an option, but Eastern is a good idea as well especially since they were part of the initial eight to come up with the idea of the AEC (then backed out, then were in, and then back out, then ...). The football factor would be significant, though, in keeping them where they are.

The MAC has reached critical size, again, and so I could see a few bolting. I could also see some unsteadiness in the Landmark possibly.

And another factor is the financial landscape of colleges and universities. There is going to be a lot of unsettled ground for awhile and that could also impact a lot of conference changes, shrinkage, and changes.

saratoga

Perhaps Goucher may take a serious look at the AEC.
I've heard some different musings over the past several years that not being remotely competitive in any sport (men's or women's) isn't helping the overall image of the college from an administrative perspective.
Naturally, you'd have more insight than anyone on this topic Dave but I'm not sure remaining in the Landmark is sustainable for even their most ardent & optimistic fans and alumni.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: saratoga on February 17, 2021, 08:53:56 PM

Perhaps Goucher may take a serious look at the AEC.
I've heard some different musings over the past several years that not being remotely competitive in any sport (men's or women's) isn't helping the overall image of the college from an administrative perspective.
Naturally, you'd have more insight than anyone on this topic Dave but I'm not sure remaining in the Landmark is sustainable for even their most ardent & optimistic fans and alumni.

Nope. From what I am told, they are committed to the Landmark and from what I have started to put together there has been a change of approach and mentality in the higher-up administration.

We shall see where it leads, but I've asked about the AEC a number of times in the last 18 months ... and while the in-depth conversations as to why have changed and been very insightful, the answer has been the same: we are staying in the Landmark. Even some who felt that would be a smart move have seemingly changed their minds. The change to the admin mentality may have a lot to do with that.

Inkblot

Would Manor College be a possibility, if they get approved for provisional membership?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 17, 2021, 06:48:48 PM
Maybe Gallaudet could be an option, but Eastern is a good idea as well especially since they were part of the initial eight to come up with the idea of the AEC (then backed out, then were in, and then back out, then ...). The football factor would be significant, though, in keeping them where they are.

I think this was Arcadia, wasn't it? But Eastern has a lot of the OLDPAC DNA that the current AEC members have.