Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Inkblot on February 18, 2021, 02:38:09 PM
Would Manor College be a possibility, if they get approved for provisional membership?

I don't think Manor is one that is attractive, but in some ways beggars can maybe not be choosers.

I am told that Manor has been interested in being in the CSAC, which I am sure the conference would like as well especially considering location.

However, Manor also doesn't have a lot of experience especially in DIII (as they are entering their provisional year soon). Bringing on a member who has little experience can sometimes be more of a headache or challenge than many conferences want to deal with. Manor would probably better off joining the C2C (CAC/ACAA merger) not because of the competition, but because of the mentoring and guiding members in the C2C can give Manor for a few years before they join another conference. That will basically be the roll of the C2C for a number of members in the near future most likely.

In terms of "ranking" from bottom up for a school like Manor in terms of joining in their area, not counting C2C to make this easier, it likely would go this way:

- NEAC
- CSAC
- AEC or MAC

And I think that if Manor was in the CSAC then the AEC might be more interested in Manor.

But again ... maybe AEC decides they need membership ASAP and just pull the rip cord and invite Manor.

A lot of this is why I thought the better landing place for St. Mary's when departing the CAC was the AEC and NOT the NEAC. I think SMC has the make-up and such that would have allowed a "state school" to enter any of these conferences like AEC or CSAC (maybe even MACs if needed). Certainly a better chance than SAL, CNU, or UMU ever have.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 18, 2021, 03:00:27 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 17, 2021, 06:48:48 PM
Maybe Gallaudet could be an option, but Eastern is a good idea as well especially since they were part of the initial eight to come up with the idea of the AEC (then backed out, then were in, and then back out, then ...). The football factor would be significant, though, in keeping them where they are.

I think this was Arcadia, wasn't it? But Eastern has a lot of the OLDPAC DNA that the current AEC members have.

Crap - you are right. I've been flipping things in my head too much or late.

I do think Eastern could be an interesting choice, though the football angle would end that thought.

But I did mean Arcadia - who I also believe could be a member in the MAC who may finally decide to do what they apparently intended a few years ago.

Sorry for any confusion based on my mistake.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Not that its official yet or anything, but this article makes it sound pretty darn certain: Becker likely to close this summer.  I suspect this will be the first of many similar articles coming.

https://www.wbjournal.com/article/becker-college-planning-for-potential-closure

If this happens, the NECC will be down to 5 men's programs next year and six for women, with Elms leaving the year after that.  It's becoming pretty close to not really being a conference anymore.  Although, I suspect, with whatever other closures are on the horizon, the NE shuffling will be a little more complex.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Pat Coleman

So that goes on the list for the fall of 2022.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUPHF

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2021, 08:09:33 AM

Not that its official yet or anything, but this article makes it sound pretty darn certain: Becker likely to close this summer.  I suspect this will be the first of many similar articles coming.

If this happens, the NECC will be down to 5 men's programs next year and six for women, with Elms leaving the year after that.  It's becoming pretty close to not really being a conference anymore.  Although, I suspect, with whatever other closures are on the horizon, the NE shuffling will be a little more complex.

It is an interesting strategy to get out ahead of the announcement and say you are thinking about closing while admitted that you have ended all recruitment activities and that you are unlikely to yield students you have admitted and will prompt current students to begin looking for other options. It would have worked for Sweet Briar, but for Becker...

Yeah, they are closing.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on March 08, 2021, 01:59:40 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2021, 08:09:33 AM

It is an interesting strategy to get out ahead of the announcement and say you are thinking about closing while admitted that you have ended all recruitment activities and that you are unlikely to yield students you have admitted and will prompt current students to begin looking for other options. It would have worked for Sweet Briar, but for Becker...

Yeah, they are closing.

I believe this was driven by Accreditation and the State of Massachusetts.  They didn't want a repeat of some of the past closures. where clear directions were never given and students were caught off-guard.  This message is pretty clear.

Caz Bombers

The Coast 2 Coast loses another one, at least in certain women's sports (not basketball). RIP Mills College.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/03/17/mills-college-long-struggling-close#.YFKARFV5FmM.twitter

Inkblot

The February membership committee report is out: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d3/memb/Feb2021D3Memb_Report.pdf

Asbury and Johnson & Wales (NC) were accepted for exploratory membership. Manor's application for provisional membership was denied.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

monsoon

Quote from: Inkblot on March 18, 2021, 12:47:00 AM
The February membership committee report is out: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d3/memb/Feb2021D3Memb_Report.pdf

Asbury and Johnson & Wales (NC) were accepted for exploratory membership. Manor's application for provisional membership was denied.

Is there any sense yet where Asbury or Johnson & Wales (NC) may land conference wise?

Caz Bombers

Quote from: monsoon on March 18, 2021, 10:15:45 PM
Quote from: Inkblot on March 18, 2021, 12:47:00 AM

Is there any sense yet where Asbury or Johnson & Wales (NC) may land conference wise?

Coast 2 Coast or USA South (or offshoot thereof) I would imagine, right?

Gregory Sager

Not for Asbury. The likely place for that school to land would be the HCAC, although I think that the SLIAC would do in a pinch.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

monsoon

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 18, 2021, 10:59:08 PM
Not for Asbury. The likely place for that school to land would be the HCAC, although I think that the SLIAC would do in a pinch.

Heartland would make sense. Right now, the four KY schools are in four different conferences, and Thomas More was in yet a fifth when they were still D3

Gregory Sager

Honestly, I'm surprised that it's taken Asbury this long to join D3. It's a much better fit for D3 than it is for NAIA.

Of course, Kentucky and Tennessee have been NAIA-centric since time immemorial, so there's that to consider.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

I wonder if Asbury intends to remain in its NAIA conference the way Nebraska Wesleyan did, or is that not allowed anymore.

Are they not a fit for the SAA?

Greek Tragedy

So can someone post an updated list of conference changes for next year? I don't know if anything changed because of Covid-19, delays etc. I've basically been M.I.A. all season. Thanks.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!