Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

My question is, how would that affect Marian's current affiliation with the NACC?  Ripon is not in the NACC.
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

Caz Bombers

Confirming what we already pretty much knew, Becker officially announced it is closing this summer.

Quasi-related note: Did Dean College count towards the 7 minimum members for an AQ during their final year in the NECC (2019-20)? They didn't become tournament eligible themselves until 7/1/20 and their switch to the GNAC.

There's one or two sports where the NECC goes right to pool B next year if Dean didn't count.

Pat Coleman

My understanding under the old four-year system is that third- and fourth-year provisional programs count toward your membership for that purpose.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 29, 2021, 06:17:56 PM
My understanding under the old four-year system is that third- and fourth-year provisional programs count toward your membership for that purpose.

thanks Pat. So if my counting on my fingers is right, maybe they have a year or two of runway but eventually soon all NECC sports will wind up in Pool B. One wonders if the conference will even survive.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Caz Bombers on March 29, 2021, 08:06:43 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 29, 2021, 06:17:56 PM

thanks Pat. So if my counting on my fingers is right, maybe they have a year or two of runway but eventually soon all NECC sports will wind up in Pool B. One wonders if the conference will even survive.

I suspect a lot of small NE leagues are waiting to see who else closes this summer before making next moves.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Bumping this up.  There's still some approvals to be made official this spring - and I'm not sure what the new provisional structure means for teams already in the process, but from public information so far available:

"Presumptive" Provisional Pipeline for 2021-22
*4th year provisional members (full membership fall 2022): SUNY-Delhi
*3rd year provisional members (full membership fall 2023): Pratt, University of St Thomas (Texas), Mississippi University for Women
2nd year provisional members (full membership fall 2024): Bob Jones, Warren Wilson
1st year provisional members: Asbury
Exploratory: Johnson & Wales (Charlotte)

* Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Becker is closing, removed from NECC
Wesley athletic programs discontinued in merger with Delaware State, leaves AEC

Conference Changes Starting in 2021-2022
Emory & Henry leaves ODAC for Division II (pending final NCAA DII Membership Committee approval)
Iowa Wesleyan leaves SLIAC and NCAA for NAIA
Louisiana College leaves ASC and NCAA for NAIA
Mary Baldwin will add men's program, begin play in the USA South
Southern Virginia leaves the CAC for the USA South
St. Mary's (Md.) leaves the CAC for the NEAC
St. Norbert leaves the MWC for the NACC
St. Thomas involuntarily removed from MIAC, will join Division I (Summit League)
St. Scholastica leaves the UMAC for the MIAC

Conference Changes Starting in 2022-2023
Averett leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Elms leaves the NECC for the GNAC

Inkblot

My impression is that the 3-year structure applies to teams already in the process, though I can't remember exactly how I arrived at that conclusion.

Incidentally, as Ryan alluded to above, per the March report (https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d3/memb/Mar2021D3Memb_Report.pdf), Asbury is skipping the exploratory year and going straight to Year 1 of provisional membership.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They've allowed a number of schools recently to skip a year in the process, so we may see that reflected when the formal report comes out.

Inkblot

Okay, I figured out what gave me the impression.

https://www.delhibroncos.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200630gwrew3

QuoteINDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (June 30, 2020) - The NCAA Division III Membership Committee announced that it has advanced SUNY Delhi to its third and final year of provisional membership entering the 2020-21 year. The committee communicated that SUNY Delhi has fulfilled all requirements for provisional membership for the 2019-20 academic year. The Broncos are scheduled to become eligible for full-time membership by the 2021-22 season.

WLCALUM83

Some 12 years ago SUNY-Delhi had a player named Shataya McComb on its' roster for 2 years. She then transferred to Alverno and hit a classic game-ending buzzer-beater during her time there. It's still on YouTube.

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

Caz Bombers

Elms moving up its departure from the NECC to the GNAC to this summer. Hastens the demise of the NECC.

Inkblot

Remind me– how many schools does a conference need to have in order to remain in the grace period rather than immediately falling into Pool B? This puts the NECC at 4 for men's sports.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Inkblot on April 08, 2021, 09:49:10 PM
Remind me– how many schools does a conference need to have in order to remain in the grace period rather than immediately falling into Pool B? This puts the NECC at 4 for men's sports.

I think it's 5. The NECC does have affiliate members in some sports, but they're clearly going to have to do something this summer. Everybody left would fit fine in the GNAC (other than Bay Path, which isn't really a good fit anywhere) it's just whether the GNAC wants to be accommodating or that large.

jeffconn

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 08, 2021, 10:05:08 PM
Everybody left would fit fine in the GNAC (other than Bay Path, which isn't really a good fit anywhere) it's just whether the GNAC wants to be accommodating or that large.

The NEWMAC and Commonwealth Coast would be good fits for Bay Path. The NEWMAC has three schools that are within 25 miles of Bay Path and 3 women's colleges. Plus now, it's a matter of survival. You need numbers to keep your conference active, especially when it's pretty much a given that small liberal arts colleges will be closing in the foreseeable future. All of the conferences with 7 or 8 members are probably exploring expansion.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jeffconn on April 09, 2021, 11:23:10 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 08, 2021, 10:05:08 PM
Everybody left would fit fine in the GNAC (other than Bay Path, which isn't really a good fit anywhere) it's just whether the GNAC wants to be accommodating or that large.

The NEWMAC and Commonwealth Coast would be good fits for Bay Path. The NEWMAC has three schools that are within 25 miles of Bay Path and 3 women's colleges. Plus now, it's a matter of survival. You need numbers to keep your conference active, especially when it's pretty much a given that small liberal arts colleges will be closing in the foreseeable future. All of the conferences with 7 or 8 members are probably exploring expansion.

I was just assuming, with Bay Path being the only women's only school in NE not in the NEWMAC, that the NEWMAC didn't want them.  Not having men's sports makes them a difficult fit for a lot of conferences.  I suspect, as you say, there will be consolidation again after the summer, when we see which NECC and GNAC schools aren't around anymore.