USC Rankings

Started by Kuiper, August 02, 2022, 03:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuiper

Pre-Season Rankings are out for DIII Men's Soccer.  Surprises?

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-diii-men/

National - Pre-season Poll - August 2, 2022
Rank    School    Prev    W-L-T
1    Connecticut College    1    19-4-2
2    Amherst College    2    17-3-2
3    Washington & Lee University    3    18-2-2
4    University Of Chicago    4    16-6-1
5    Messiah University    5    19-2-2
6    Tufts University    6    15-2-4
7    North Park University    7    16-6-0
8    Middlebury College    8    13-5-3
9    Calvin University    9    17-4-2
10    SUNY Cortland    10    18-3-1
11    Christopher Newport University    11    12-5-2
12    University of Redlands    12    17-3-1
13    Trinity University (Texas)    13    14-2-2
14    Washington College (Md.)    14    15-5-1
15    St. Olaf College    15    19-3-1
16    John Carroll University    16    14-4-2
17    Kenyon College    17    16-3-1
18    Hanover College    18    16-5-1
19    Franklin & Marshall College    19    15-4-1
20    Washington University (Mo.)    20    13-3-1
21    Ohio Wesleyan University    21    15-3-2
22    Emory University    22    9-4-5
23    Montclair State University    23    17-4-1
24    Otterbein University    24    15-2-4
25    Stevens Institute Of Technology    25    13-6-3

Records shown are final 2021 records.

Also receiving votes: New York University, Johns Hopkins University, Rowan University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Claremont-McKenna-Harvey Mudd-Scripps Colleges, Kean University, Pacific Lutheran University, Gustavus Adolphus College, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Kuiper

I realize that putting "surprises" is probably not the right word, since this is just last year's rankings reproduced.  So, the better question is where is this off-base now that people might know who has left (coach or player), who is coming etc?

stlawus

Decently tracks with Massey which just updated for the new season.   One surprise in my view is Cortland being as high as they are.  They will have a good season, but 10 seems a bit high given they lost several 5th year players from last season which includes a 16 goal scorer, 10 of which were game winners.  However, I hope they are as good as 10 to start the season since I selfishly want SLU's SOS to be high.

From a Massey standpoint Stevens is a surprise since they are 66 on his rankings, but that's obviously a much less reliable metric at this point.

SimpleCoach

I know that Cortland has one?  Two?  D1 transfers coming in.  I know one of them and just physically, he is a beast.

SC.

Another Mom

I just took a look at Massey. In a word -- ridiculous.  I do realize it gets more accurate as the season goes on. But until then, ridiculous.

stlawus

Quote from: SimpleCoach on August 02, 2022, 08:22:28 PM
I know that Cortland has one?  Two?  D1 transfers coming in.  I know one of them and just physically, he is a beast.

SC.

Cortland does have a history of getting D1 transfers under Axtel, their current #7 is a transfer from Syracuse who impressed me quite a bit when I saw them play SLU last year.  Again I have no doubt Cortland will have a solid team, they just lose a lot of senior leadership that is not always easy to replace.  I only mean to say that it's possible Cortland does not start out as good as #10, I am not trying to imply they are vastly overrated, as they most assuredly will not be given their head coach.

EnmoreCat

Was the 2021 version particularly predictive, or any other seasons' for that matter?

BigSoccerFan

Ejay

Quote from: Another Mom on August 02, 2022, 10:13:44 PM
I just took a look at Massey. In a word -- ridiculous.  I do realize it gets more accurate as the season goes on. But until then, ridiculous.

Quote from: BigSoccerFan on August 06, 2022, 10:11:01 AM
https://masseyratings.com/csoc2022/ncaa-d3/ratings

Statistically these rankings seem to be pretty spot on

BigSoccerFan

Well it uses statistics and predictive numbers over gut feeling.  Dont all polls get better with more data.  If you notice it does more than d3 soccer

Another Mom

Well, I stand by my opinion :-)

Seriously,  teams that didn't make the ncaa tournament ranked in the top 10, over a team that finished in the final four? How does that make any sense? What does Massey "think" is changing. One has a longstanding coach, the other doesn't.  Do you think Massey has some special insight into the incoming freshmen?!

I will eat my hat if Williams finishes the year ahead of Washington and Lee -- and I will do it on @simplecoach's YouTube channel to boot!

Ejay

I don't know.  I think this is the year Hamilton does indeed finish above Calvin, Trinity (TX), OWU, Kenyon, Hopkins, F&M and Montclair.  I mean, they've been thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to winning the National Championship every year.

Saint of Old

Sad and unfortunate story with Hamilton man, were one of the better teams in the Liberty League conference late 90s- 2006-8 always competing hard, then went to NESCAC and just have not been no where close to where they should be.
Maybe it is the travel (although that does not seem to hurt Vassar) or crazy quality we have seen in NESCAC over the past decade and a half.
I still think that Hamilton should be doing much better than they have been.
Like I said, the NESCAC is tough, when you have Champions (Williams/Middlebury/Amherst/Tufts/Conn College) playing each week it can take its toll.
Should also lead to quality football overtime. Hope we see it soon from Hamilton.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Another Mom on August 07, 2022, 11:02:07 AM
Well, I stand by my opinion :-)

Seriously,  teams that didn't make the ncaa tournament ranked in the top 10, over a team that finished in the final four? How does that make any sense? What does Massey "think" is changing. One has a longstanding coach, the other doesn't.  Do you think Massey has some special insight into the incoming freshmen?!

I will eat my hat if Williams finishes the year ahead of Washington and Lee -- and I will do it on @simplecoach's YouTube channel to boot!

@Another Mom.  I've blocked December 15th at 10:00 for a possible hat eating episode ... although am with you on this one.  No way.

BigSoccerFan

Quote from: Ejay on August 07, 2022, 11:14:14 AM
I don't know.  I think this is the year Hamilton does indeed finish above Calvin, Trinity (TX), OWU, Kenyon, Hopkins, F&M and Montclair.  I mean, they've been thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to winning the National Championship every year.

Not sure.  I offerred up a  optional poll that seemsto take more into account  and you got touchy.  Enjoy the upcoming season.