D3baseball.com > Historical/statistical archive

DIII records against DI and DII Competition??

<< < (3/3)

Ralph Turner:

--- Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 28, 2008, 02:23:24 pm ---
--- Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 28, 2008, 02:11:40 pm ---I really think beating some decent div 1 teams and 2 teams should give you some points because alot of teams beat up on these sad div 3 teams and then get ranked way to high, then again rankings mean nothing.

--- End quote ---
I believe they should count as significant wins in the same way a win against a quality opponent does

--- End quote ---
Our problem is that the rules for all D-III sports as set by the membership and the Championships Committee of the NCAA only consider such games as secondary criteria.

The new OWP/OOWP criteria have been implemented to modulate some of the "wins against really bad D3 teams".

Jim Dixon:

--- Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 28, 2008, 02:11:40 pm ---I really think beating some decent div 1 teams and 2 teams should give you some points because alot of teams beat up on these sad div 3 teams and then get ranked way to high, then again rankings mean nothing.

--- End quote ---

I believe they should count as significant wins in the same way a win against a quality opponent does

--- End quote ---

My reference to that they should count when ranking team in the poll.  Ralph is correct that for the OWP/OOWP criteria they do not.  It would not be fair to count these types of games for or against either team.  In fact, I would encourage them by allowing them to be outside the 40 game limit.

Ralph Turner:

--- Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 28, 2008, 07:28:48 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

My reference to that they should count when ranking team in the poll.  Ralph is correct that for the OWP/OOWP criteria they do not.  It would not be fair to count these types of games for or against either team.  In fact, I would encourage them by allowing them to be outside the 40 game limit.

--- End quote ---
Jim expresses the sentiments well.  I think that a D-1 game is a good experience, and local D-2/NAIA games may be good for the community and easy on the budget and missed class time, especially for midweek games!

I don't want a team making a habit of D-1's to the detriment of the rest of the D-3 schedule.

What do we say about Louisiana College's win over D-1 Nicholls State.  LaCollege will have to work hard to earn one of the four berths from the ASC-East in the ASC Tourney.  (That means that Louisiana College may be only the 7th - 10th best team in the ASC!)

theoneandonly:
In 2004 Blackburn College (SLIAC) beat Southern Illinois University - Carbondale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version