FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CollegeGolf18

Don Morel's first five years at LaVerne (after taking over a good program): 9-0, 7-2, 2-7, 4-5, 7-2 - 29-16
Don Morel's first five years at Wabash (after taking over a good program): 8-2, 8-2, 9-1, 7-4, 7-3 - 39-12

Don Morel in Y6 and Y7 at LaVerne: 2-7 and 1-8
Don Morel in Y6 and Y7 at Wabash: probably 6-4 or 7-3 and likely the same next year. When Liam leaves, I would not be shocked to go below .500.

History Repeats Itself
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

Crawford

Not a big fan of the fair catch.  When a team gets in a position where they need to get some return yards, if they have no experience running those plays, they will be ill-prepared.  If you assume a team would receive the ball at the 25 if fair caught on a KO looking at the Drive Stats for Wabash's games.  HSC was - 7 yards by returning and Wabash was +32 !  Dennison was + 30 yards Wabash was 0.  Wooster was +38 to Wabash's 0.

FW_Giant

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 link=topic=3546.msg2051479#msg2051479 date=
When Liam leaves, I would not be shocked to go below .500.

/quote]

No I think we will be all right in the years ahead.  We have a 24 year-old freshman quarterback who transferred from a D1 program on the sidelines.  He's got a legit arm and size.  There's a lot of speed returning, the defensive coaches just have to turn them loose and become more aggressive in their calls.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on September 29, 2022, 04:19:43 PM
Don Morel's first five years at LaVerne (after taking over a good program): 9-0, 7-2, 2-7, 4-5, 7-2 - 29-16
Don Morel's first five years at Wabash (after taking over a good program): 8-2, 8-2, 9-1, 7-4, 7-3 - 39-12

Don Morel in Y6 and Y7 at Wabash: probably 6-4 or 7-3 and likely the same next year. When Liam leaves, I would not be shocked to go below .500.

History Repeats Itself

I remember posting something similar to this about his LaVerne record a couple seasons ago and I got heartily sh@t on for making the comparison. Some of us saw this coming LONG AGO and have never been taken seriously. If we end up 5-5 I'm sure there will be many excuses but it was totally foreseeable. 
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: Li'l Giant on September 29, 2022, 06:09:49 PM

History Repeats Itself

I remember posting something similar to this about his LaVerne record a couple seasons ago and I got heartily sh@t on for making the comparison. Some of us saw this coming LONG AGO and have never been taken seriously. If we end up 5-5 I'm sure there will be many excuses but it was totally foreseeable.

Yeah, I have questioned him before as well. Most notably in 2018 when it seemed like every single FG Wabash attempted got blocked.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

bleedpurple

Quote from: FW_Giant on September 29, 2022, 04:44:37 PM
Quote from: CollegeGolf18 link=topic=3546.msg2051479#msg2051479 date=
When Liam leaves, I would not be shocked to go below .500.

/quote]

No I think we will be all right in the years ahead.  We have a 24 year-old freshman quarterback who transferred from a D1 program on the sidelines.  He's got a legit arm and size.  There's a lot of speed returning, the defensive coaches just have to turn them loose and become more aggressive in their calls.

A 24 year old freshman?  And I thought I slow-rolled school...  :)

sigma one

This week in the NCAC.
DEN/DPU:  Based on early results the two conference favorites.  DPU, with 3 straight shutouts is superior on defense, although this week will tell us more about how strong.  They crushed Wooster last week after Wabash exposed the Scots the Saturday before.  Denison rushes for 220 ypg with Fabrocini over 100 yards in every game so far and 11TDs.  DPU givess up only 46 ypg on the ground, and no team has yet scored a rushing TD against them.  The new Tigers have a grinding ground game of their own:  266 ypg.  The Denison defense struggled v. the LGs last week, saved by Wabash's defensive struggles--but credit them for late scores that determined the outcome.
HIR/OBE:  Both teams are winless. This could be the best chance for one of them to avoid an O-fer season. 
KEN:  Rests this week.
OWU/WOO:  Dominating win for v. Kenyon last time out for their first win.  Woo has been exposed the last two weeks and needs a conference win.  One noteworthy question:  Renteria struggled v Wabash and was limping throughout the second half of that game.  V. DPU last Saturday he he played only the first quarter, going 4/9 passing.  Could it have been the follow up to the injury or has the Scots' staff decided to try a different direction?  This could be close--or not.
WAB/WIT:  Both teams need to win this game IMO to have a chance to stay in the conference title hunt.  It's Homecoming in Springfield.  Interesting to see how/if Wabash rebounds.  They list 3 FY defensive backs in the starting lineup this week.  Wit can run the ball, and they are getting very good QB play.  Shootout, again?  Nothing would surprise me.

smedindy

Quote from: Li'l Giant on September 29, 2022, 06:09:49 PM

History Repeats Itself

Except...

LaVerne has been...challenged...save for 2015. With Oxy dropping football it may be a race between them and Whittier for the bottom of the SCIAC. It may have been a change in institutional priorities. We've seen that with Capital in our neck of the woods.

If it was all Morel then you'd think they'd have more than one winning season since 2005.

I'm not happy either, and the defense is imaginary, but the NCAC seems to be getting better and Witt and Wabash aren't guaranteed anything now.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: smedindy on September 30, 2022, 01:29:21 PM
the NCAC seems to be getting better and Witt and Wabash aren't guaranteed anything now.

This statement, while true, is kinda the issue. We've not gotten better. We've honestly not even stayed the same. The league has improved and we've regressed. The rest of the league improving should have been the impetus for additional improvement, or at the least, trying to keep pace. It hasn't been. That's on nobody but the HC.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

wally_wabash

Not sure I agree that the league is getting better. 

The league hasn't beaten a top 25 team outside of the conference since Witt's 4 OT game against Thomas More in 2017. Really only one such game since that time has been remotely competitive (Witt vs. W&J in 2019).  I wouldn't necessarily expect NCAC teams to win against UWW or UMHB or Mount Union, but NCAC champions haven't even had a pulse in those matchups from 2016-present and really should be doing much better against teams ranked 15-25. The NCAC is getting beat by an average of 30 points in these games- the games where you really get to measure strength- over the last six seasons. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Whitecarrera

Quote from: smedindy on September 29, 2022, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: FW_Giant on September 29, 2022, 01:54:12 AM
Longtime lurker.  Sorry but after watching 4 games, the defensive struggles are 100% on the schemes and the coach.  We have the athletes to be very good on that side of the ball but aren't put in position to be successful.  As far as being aggressive, I don't see that mindset coming from the staff on either side of the ball...as evident of faircatching every punt and kickoff.  In Morel's eyes WAF means Wabash Always Faircatches!

Fair catches are a long standing tradition at Wabash.

When I did PA, I almost said, on a few occasions, "Pete Logan back to fair catch..."

Smed - call me crazy but facts are always good to get perspective

Pete Logan: 65 punt returns in 4 years, 632 yards, for a 9.7 average.
During this time, Wabash had 85 total punt returns, while opponents had 109.
Also during this same time the Wabash defense was +30 in turnover margin (though Brent's '96 fumble column may have a glitch), but his should account for opponents' higher number of returns.
I'd take Pete Logan returning punts any day!
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Recognize the difference.

smedindy

Hey, Logan was a good returner, but he fair caught a lot. I think opponents had way more than 85 punts in four years.

smedindy

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 30, 2022, 05:13:24 PM
Not sure I agree that the league is getting better. 

The league hasn't beaten a top 25 team outside of the conference since Witt's 4 OT game against Thomas More in 2017. Really only one such game since that time has been remotely competitive (Witt vs. W&J in 2019).  I wouldn't necessarily expect NCAC teams to win against UWW or UMHB or Mount Union, but NCAC champions haven't even had a pulse in those matchups from 2016-present and really should be doing much better against teams ranked 15-25. The NCAC is getting beat by an average of 30 points in these games- the games where you really get to measure strength- over the last six seasons.

I look at it differerntly. I know you rank the confernces based on the D3 rankings, but we should look at the non-conference as a whole and not just against ranked teams, especially with one and only one non-conference game for a while.

How is the mid-pack doing against the other teams mid-packs? The conference is better in the middle. 2019 Denison beats Ohio Northern. That doesn't happen a decade ago. Denison and DPU I think are now solid going forward. That's four good to great teams you can count on, with occasional pop ins by Wooster or OWU.

smedindy

Quote from: Li'l Giant on September 30, 2022, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: smedindy on September 30, 2022, 01:29:21 PM
the NCAC seems to be getting better and Witt and Wabash aren't guaranteed anything now.

This statement, while true, is kinda the issue. We've not gotten better. We've honestly not even stayed the same. The league has improved and we've regressed. The rest of the league improving should have been the impetus for additional improvement, or at the least, trying to keep pace. It hasn't been. That's on nobody but the HC.

We had a phenomenal run for a long time, after back-to-back records of 7-3 and 6-4. I know losing three games is unusual, but this may be a slight dip. The COVID year cancellation also bifurcates the seasons and makes the data look weird and may have flummoxed recruiting a bit. We did beat two playoff teams last year, and got pipped by two QBs having a day.

D3 Poster

I like Denison's talent and the job Hatem has done there, but back in 2019, ONU was not a powerhouse.  Among ONU's four losses that year was (3-7) Wilmington.