2022 Regional Rankings

Started by Ralph Turner, April 28, 2022, 02:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

First Regional Rankings (in alphabetical order and thru games of April 24)

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/regional-rankings

wildthngvaughn

Do regional rankings matter in regards to at-large bids or is everything pulled together for one big national ranking system.  For example, it seems that with New England now split into two regions, the top 5 ranked teams in Region 2 would all be ranked higher than the #1 ranked team in Region 1.  So let's say an at-large bid comes down to Region 1 #1 Babson and Region 2 #5 Roger Williams.  Would the bid go to the #1 ranked team, even though the #5 ranked team would be higher on an overall ranking system?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wildthngvaughn on April 28, 2022, 06:12:31 PM
Do regional rankings matter in regards to at-large bids or is everything pulled together for one big national ranking system.  For example, it seems that with New England now split into two regions, the top 5 ranked teams in Region 2 would all be ranked higher than the #1 ranked team in Region 1.  So let's say an at-large bid comes down to Region 1 #1 Babson and Region 2 #5 Roger Williams.  Would the bid go to the #1 ranked team, even though the #5 ranked team would be higher on an overall ranking system?

Welcome to the Boards.

There is a very good explanation to the seelction process and I will try to find it later tonight after I get back from work.

The selection system is the same across all sports.

The Pool A bids are awarded from the Conferences.

The remaining teams who are in Pool B (and I have not seen this year's Handbook to list those teams) are considered and the number of bids allocated by the formula are awarded after evaluation by criteria in the Handbook.

After that the remaining teams are considered by the Handbook.

Here is a link to the 2021 projection that the D3 staff did.

https://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2021/2021-playoff-projections

Ralph Turner