FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjusection105

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 23, 2023, 12:41:38 AM
Continuing tough times at SCSU.  https://www.startribune.com/st-cloud-state-to-phase-out-6-majors-cut-23-faculty-amid-looming-18m-deficit/600269002/

St. Cloud State University will phase out six majors and cut three dozen jobs in the wake of a looming $18.3 million deficit projected for the upcoming school year, according to leaders at the central Minnesota school.

The majors to be phased out are philosophy, theater, nuclear medicine technology, real estate and insurance at the undergraduate level, as well as marriage and family therapy at the graduate level.
As far as I'm aware the only other Real Estate major offered in MN comes from St. Thomas. Quite a few of the Commercial Real Estate guys and gals that I know personally have a Business or Accounting degree and have had in house training from the firm that they represent. As far as Residential Real Estate I would venture to guess the same or maybe a Communications or Marketing or no degree. Sales is a people and relationship business. If you treat people right, you get referrals and your business grows...
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

MadRedFan

Continuing tough times at SCSU.  https://www.startribune.com/st-cloud-state-to-phase-out-6-majors-cut-23-faculty-amid-looming-18m-deficit/600269002/

St. Cloud State University will phase out six majors and cut three dozen jobs in the wake of a looming $18.3 million deficit projected for the upcoming school year, according to leaders at the central Minnesota school.

The majors to be phased out are philosophy, theater, nuclear medicine technology, real estate and insurance at the undergraduate level, as well as marriage and family therapy at the graduate level.

I had two immediate thoughts (not counting my concern for a friend who's in the history department):

1. It seems counter to me that the twin cities keep growing, closer to St. Cloud, more kids living closer to SCSU, but enrollment is tanking.  Seems like it should be growing.

2. I get the whole idea of having to "cut costs" all over in the real world, but funny how things are going down the crapper after cutting football. Did that send a bad message to the world?  Or am I just holding on to my own bias about how the world works?

SagatagSam

Quote from: MadRedFan on April 23, 2023, 03:07:31 PM

I had two immediate thoughts (not counting my concern for a friend who's in the history department):

1. It seems counter to me that the twin cities keep growing, closer to St. Cloud, more kids living closer to SCSU, but enrollment is tanking.  Seems like it should be growing.

2. I get the whole idea of having to "cut costs" all over in the real world, but funny how things are going down the crapper after cutting football. Did that send a bad message to the world?  Or am I just holding on to my own bias about how the world works?

What really stuck out to me was that nearly 50% of SCSU's enrollment is part-time. SCSU has been a commuter school for a long time, going back at least as far as the 1960s and 70s when my mom was a commuter student there. But, commuter does not mean part time. Five years ago just over 1/3 of SCSU's enrollment was part time.

Here's a question--would the state (whether legislature, MnSCU, etc) let SCSU fold?

Also, it makes me wonder about the health of other MnSCU schools--Bemidji State, Moorhead, Southwest State, Winona?
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

art76

Short highlight reel of BURS test launches this morning. Contest flights are the weekend of May 13, 14, and 15. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3QFxi5tgfg
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

OzJohnnie

If I had gone to Bethel, I think I would have been a rocket nerd.  Good fun.

Of course, going to BU you're going to be a nerd.  It's just a question of picking your poison.
[  

SagatagSam

Quote from: MadRedFan on April 23, 2023, 03:07:31 PM

Cutting football certainly doesn't project strength. It's one thing to cut/modify academic majors and even entire departments. That can be spun as "keeping up with the times" or "trimming the fat." But, cutting athletic programs has a very different feel to it, like when the city water board tells residents that they can only water the lawn on certain days of the week.
Sing us a song tonight

SagatagSam

The MIAC Tennis season wrapped up this past week. GAC won the overall title and Carleton finished second.

That means points have been awarded for the Durenberger Trophy Standings.

The Johnnies saw their lead shrink to 11 points. However, Carleton sits in dead last in the MIAC Baseball standings right now. Gustavus is the big threat, currently in second in the baseball standings behind Bethel who is a scorching 12-0 in conference play right now. The Johnnies can clinch its second consecutive Durenberger Trophy with an average finish of 7th or better in baseball and outdoor track and field.
Sing us a song tonight

OzJohnnie

Carleton digs itself into a hole by not playing hockey.  They, obviously, wouldn't start a hockey squad just for the sake of the all-sports trophy, but a squad would put them in a position to challenge for it.
[  

carletonknights

Quote from: SagatagSam on April 25, 2023, 06:50:47 PM
The MIAC Tennis season wrapped up this past week. GAC won the overall title and Carleton finished second.

That means points have been awarded for the Durenberger Trophy Standings.

The Johnnies saw their lead shrink to 11 points. However, Carleton sits in dead last in the MIAC Baseball standings right now. Gustavus is the big threat, currently in second in the baseball standings behind Bethel who is a scorching 12-0 in conference play right now. The Johnnies can clinch its second consecutive Durenberger Trophy with an average finish of 7th or better in baseball and outdoor track and field.

Losing Keifer Lord was a big blow. Good for him though. I think I saw he's doing well at Washington

SagatagSam

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 25, 2023, 11:50:16 PM
Carleton digs itself into a hole by not playing hockey.  They, obviously, wouldn't start a hockey squad just for the sake of the all-sports trophy, but a squad would put them in a position to challenge for it.

I like the all-sports competition. However, it's a non-issue for everyone but SJU, St. Olaf, and Gustavus, who are the only three teams (now that UST is gone) that field a team in every MIAC sponsored sport. In the 60 years since the award was started, no team that is missing a sport has ever won the championship*. And, I don't think that many have even come that close. Had Carleton baseball not had such a terrible year, they would probably have one of (if not the highest) finish of any school that doesn't compete in all conference sponsored sports.

*Macalester has won the Durenberger five times, but that was before they cut varsity hockey sometime in the 1970s.
Sing us a song tonight

art76

Quote from: SagatagSam on April 26, 2023, 10:30:56 AM

I like the all-sports competition. However, it's a non-issue for everyone but SJU, St. Olaf, and Gustavus, who are the only three teams (now that UST is gone) that field a team in every MIAC sponsored sport. In the 60 years since the award was started, no team that is missing a sport has ever won the championship*. And, I don't think that many have even come that close. Had Carleton baseball not had such a terrible year, they would probably have one of (if not the highest) finish of any school that doesn't compete in all conference sponsored sports.

*Macalester has won the Durenberger five times, but that was before they cut varsity hockey sometime in the 1970s.

So you're saying the Pipers have a chance if they add Golf?
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

SagatagSam

Quote from: art76 on April 26, 2023, 10:43:55 PM
So you're saying the Pipers have a chance if they add Golf?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Sing us a song tonight

carletonknights

They're just kicking off a series with Pomona this fall. And I know Tom Journell also wants to get an east coast series going. Not sure if series with Pomona will just be two years and on to a new west coast opponent or if it's Pomona specifically. I hope it's the latter since they're competing for some of the same recruits.

jknezek

Your all sports trophy doesn't account for schools not playing sports?

The ODAC's is calculated only on the sports you participate in, and each sport is weighted by how many schools participate in that sport. So women's soccer has an obscene number of schools participating, 14. The total number of points you can win is 14 for the winner, 0 for last place. So if you win, you get 100% of the available points, finish second you get 13 of 14 or 92.8% of the points.

The trophy winner is calculated by determining who got the highest percentage of points they could have won for all of the sports they participated in. The more sports you participate in, the more chances to accrue points, but also the more chances to perform badly and get a low percentage that hurts your overall.

W&L has been dominant in the trophy, especially lately, and I believe they compete in all but one ODAC sponsored sport (softball is the odd one out). But I don't think any school competes in all 24 sponsored ODAC sports. Bridgewater used to, but I think when the conference added Wrestling Bridgewater lost that status.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: jknezek on April 28, 2023, 11:19:24 AM

Your all sports trophy doesn't account for schools not playing sports?

The ODAC's is calculated only on the sports you participate in, and each sport is weighted by how many schools participate in that sport. So women's soccer has an obscene number of schools participating, 14. The total number of points you can win is 14 for the winner, 0 for last place. So if you win, you get 100% of the available points, finish second you get 13 of 14 or 92.8% of the points.

The trophy winner is calculated by determining who got the highest percentage of points they could have won for all of the sports they participated in. The more sports you participate in, the more chances to accrue points, but also the more chances to perform badly and get a low percentage that hurts your overall.

W&L has been dominant in the trophy, especially lately, and I believe they compete in all but one ODAC sponsored sport (softball is the odd one out). But I don't think any school competes in all 24 sponsored ODAC sports. Bridgewater used to, but I think when the conference added Wrestling Bridgewater lost that status.

The MIAC scores the same way but has two trophies, one for the men's competition and one for women.  As to the probability of a team winning the trophy but skipping a sport, the results speak for themselves.
[