FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Roanoke is considering adding football (and marching band, and competitive cheer).  Trying to raise $1.2 million in support first; $300K raised during a two-week quiet period.  If funds raised by June 1, would start search for a coach.  A club team is proposed for 2024 followed by competition in 2025.  Games would be played at Salem Stadium (where the D3 championships used to be a fixture). 

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 14, 2023, 09:26:31 AM
Roanoke is considering adding football (and marching band, and competitive cheer).  Trying to raise $1.2 million in support first; $300K raised during a two-week quiet period.  If funds raised by June 1, would start search for a coach.  A club team is proposed for 2024 followed by competition in 2025.  Games would be played at Salem Stadium (where the D3 championships used to be a fixture).

I'm sure this has been on the ODAC's wish list for a long time and all the ODAC football ADs are probably hoping that money appears. It wouldn't surprise me to see Lynchburg make a similar move if Roanoke can pull it off. Roanoke would make 9 for football, so in an ideal scenario adding Lynchburg and being at 10 football playing schools, without adding any more schools to the conference, would be a huge relief for football scheduling. Especially since it can be done without adding anymore issues to sports that already have too big of a conference slate (men's and women's soccer, for example).

WilsonField

Think the presidents and ADs would be elated. The whole conference is struggling with scheduling and would put them on par with a lot of close conferences to get closer to only needing 1 or 2 non con games. However, I bet the coaches in the league are not thrilled. Roanoke would create a really tough recruiting rival to Macon, BC, HSC, and maybe even Shenandoah. W&L is probably rooting for it the hardest. Think it would be really good / fun for the league

BSCpanthers

How do all the conferences seem to have a problem scheduling OOC games???  Is there not a way to get these conferences together and get some OOC games put together??? 

jknezek

Quote from: BSCpanthers on April 14, 2023, 11:00:56 AM
How do all the conferences seem to have a problem scheduling OOC games???  Is there not a way to get these conferences together and get some OOC games put together???

A lot depends on travel schedules and dollars, and sometimes a desire to not play the best teams in the country.

If you are in PA, within 4 hours drive there are probably 100 possible OOC opponents. If you are in Alabama, within 4 hours there are probably 4 or 5 options total, OOC or otherwise. So Region 3 is a huge challenge unless you are willing to shell out for overnight trips.

If you are in the SCIAC or NWC, there isn't an OOC option for hours and hours. So really, if you can get 9 conference games, and one OOC, it's a huge relief to the budget and the scheduling stress.

But who wants to have 2 or 3 flight games a year? If your football team is revenue positive on tuition, it quickly becomes revenue neutral or negative if you have to fly 80 or so people two or three times a season. And 12 hours or so on a bus each way to a game is not a recruiting tool.

Ron Boerger

Good teams have an increasingly hard time finding teams willing to play them OOC.  I don't think Trinity *really* wanted to go up to St. Johns MN for their opener, or *really* wanted to play UMHB a week later (oh and then have to go to BSC for their SAA opener), and the reverse is probably true for their opponents.  Hardin-Simmons still has open dates.  One loss is such a killer with there being so few Pool C slots available. 

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 14, 2023, 11:45:37 AM
Good teams have an increasingly hard time finding teams willing to play them OOC.  I don't think Trinity *really* wanted to go up to St. Johns MN for their opener, or *really* wanted to play UMHB a week later (oh and then have to go to BSC for their SAA opener), and the reverse is probably true for their opponents.  Hardin-Simmons still has open dates.  One loss is such a killer with there being so few Pool C slots available.

I don't know what the answer really is.  Maybe some of these conferences need to have an agreement and play multiple games in one weekend at a neutral field.  Some town somewhere would be happy to host 8 teams, 4 games and all the family and friends for a weekend. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BSCpanthers on April 14, 2023, 01:47:47 PM

I don't know what the answer really is.  Maybe some of these conferences need to have an agreement and play multiple games in one weekend at a neutral field.  Some town somewhere would be happy to host 8 teams, 4 games and all the family and friends for a weekend.

Perhaps, but then both teams have to travel.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 16, 2023, 10:45:56 AM

But two bus rides are still cheaper then one airplane trip. Might even find a city willing to pay for the event.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BSCpanthers on April 16, 2023, 04:25:36 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 16, 2023, 10:45:56 AM

But two bus rides are still cheaper then one airplane trip. Might even find a city willing to pay for the event.

I agree, but for Hardin-Simmons, how many teams are even within 1,000 miles with a city halfway in between?

I don't know that a city in Missouri is going to pay to host Hardin-Simmons vs. Franklin.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Not sure any town put up money for these games.

Birmingham-Southern vs McMurry in Little Rock's historic War Memorial Stadium in 2022 and 2023...
Howard Payne versus Hendrix in Prosper TX in 2021.

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 18, 2023, 05:32:32 PM
Not sure any town put up money for these games.

Birmingham-Southern vs McMurry in Little Rock's historic War Memorial Stadium in 2022 and 2023...
Howard Payne versus Hendrix in Prosper TX in 2021.

They won't pay for a single game, but would they pay for 8 teams and 4 games all played in a single weekend.  It the difference of 400 people coming into your town, vs 2000 people coming into your town.  Treat it like a bowl weekend for the all the teams and fans. 

thescottharris

Quote from: jknezek on April 24, 2023, 10:18:35 AM
https://wset.com/news/local/for-the-first-time-since-1942-roanoke-college-announces-return-of-football

Good news for the ODAC. Maybe Lynchburg will follow.
Don't really get the necessity for tying marching band and cheerleading into it. No sense in kicking the can down the road on football if you don't get the money to cover those two things by that June 1 deadline. Get your football money, get that rolling, then wait for the money for marching band and cheerleading to trickle in later.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: scotth on April 28, 2023, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 24, 2023, 10:18:35 AM
https://wset.com/news/local/for-the-first-time-since-1942-roanoke-college-announces-return-of-football

Good news for the ODAC. Maybe Lynchburg will follow.
Don't really get the necessity for tying marching band and cheerleading into it. No sense in kicking the can down the road on football if you don't get the money to cover those two things by that June 1 deadline. Get your football money, get that rolling, then wait for the money for marching band and cheerleading to trickle in later.
Respectfully, it makes fundraising easier. Going for the total package, to change the campus environment.
Makes sense to me.