FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 29, 2023, 07:47:15 AM
Quote from: scotth on April 28, 2023, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 24, 2023, 10:18:35 AM
https://wset.com/news/local/for-the-first-time-since-1942-roanoke-college-announces-return-of-football

Good news for the ODAC. Maybe Lynchburg will follow.
Don't really get the necessity for tying marching band and cheerleading into it. No sense in kicking the can down the road on football if you don't get the money to cover those two things by that June 1 deadline. Get your football money, get that rolling, then wait for the money for marching band and cheerleading to trickle in later.
Respectfully, it makes fundraising easier. Going for the total package, to change the campus environment.
Makes sense to me.

Interesting approach. How many other ODAC football schools have marching bands? Pretty sure R-MC doesn't.

Ron Boerger

There are also Title IX implications.  Cheer allows them to claim they've done something to address the imbalance introduced when 70-100 men are added to the school's athletic roster.  You almost always see something like this when a school adds football.  Marching band is a less common addition, even in Texas where the two go together like peanut butter and jelly you don't see a lot of D3 schools with marching bands.

jknezek

Quote from: y_jack_lok on April 29, 2023, 08:59:36 AM
https://wset.com/news/local/for-the-first-time-since-1942-roanoke-college-announces-return-of-football

Don't really get the necessity for tying marching band and cheerleading into it. No sense in kicking the can down the road on football if you don't get the money to cover those two things by that June 1 deadline. Get your football money, get that rolling, then wait for the money for marching band and cheerleading to trickle in later.
Respectfully, it makes fundraising easier. Going for the total package, to change the campus environment.
Makes sense to me.

Interesting approach. How many other ODAC football schools have marching bands? Pretty sure R-MC doesn't.

Bridgewater started one in 2019 I think, and Shenandoah just started theirs in 2022. Ferrum has one, not sure for how long. E&H has one, but they are gone of course. Don't think any other football school does.

crufootball

Makes sense to me.

Also just adds more students to the pot, adding band and cheerleading adds a good number of students who wouldn't have considered the school without in the same way they wouldn't have without football.

BSCpanthers

Does Title IX have a lot of effect on DIII sports since there are no scholarships awarded? 

Birmingham Southern had a band at one time, I've seen pictures, just don't know when that was.  Huntingdon has a band, and a large cheer squad.  They actually do a great job. 

Ron Boerger

Quote from: BSCpanthers on April 30, 2023, 11:12:37 PM
Does Title IX have a lot of effect on DIII sports since there are no scholarships awarded? 

Birmingham Southern had a band at one time, I've seen pictures, just don't know when that was.  Huntingdon has a band, and a large cheer squad.  They actually do a great job.

Yes.  From https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/ocr-higher-ed-athletic-resource-202302.pdf

QuoteHow does Title IX cover athletic programs at colleges and universities?

All of your school's programs and activities, including its athletic program, are covered by Title IX if your school receives Federal funding. Schools that participate in Federal Student Aid programs receive Federal funding, which allows colleges and universities to provide Federal financial aid to their students through grants, loans, and work-study funds. So, if your school provides Federal financial aid to students, it is covered by Title IX. Schools that receive Federal funding for research or other purposes are also covered by Title IX.

What does Title IX require for schools' athletic programs?

The Title IX regulations require schools to provide equal opportunity based on sex. This requirement applies to schools' athletic programs, including club, intramural, and intercollegiate teams. Equal opportunity in college and university athletic programs is measured by:
1. The benefits, opportunities, and treatment given to men's and women's teams;
2. How a school is awarding athletic scholarships and financial assistance; and
3. How a school is meeting students' athletic interests and abilities.

Note that *numbers* don't have to match; opportunities, benefits, treatment, and financial assistance do. 

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: BSCpanthers on April 14, 2023, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 14, 2023, 11:45:37 AM
Good teams have an increasingly hard time finding teams willing to play them OOC.  I don't think Trinity *really* wanted to go up to St. Johns MN for their opener, or *really* wanted to play UMHB a week later (oh and then have to go to BSC for their SAA opener), and the reverse is probably true for their opponents.  Hardin-Simmons still has open dates.  One loss is such a killer with there being so few Pool C slots available.

I don't know what the answer really is.  Maybe some of these conferences need to have an agreement and play multiple games in one weekend at a neutral field.  Some town somewhere would be happy to host 8 teams, 4 games and all the family and friends for a weekend.

What find crazy is that there are teams in the NE that struggle to get to 10 games or only choose 9 games. In terms of good teams struggling. Salisbury had to play a NAIA team from Florida last season to get to 10 games.

rmc1982

RMC comes in at #15 in the preseason poll..... that's about right where they should be.... A little higher but the higher you are the bigger the bullseye on your back!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

y_jack_lok

Quote from: rmc1982 on July 31, 2023, 04:15:31 PM
RMC comes in at #15 in the preseason poll..... that's about right where they should be.... A little higher but the higher you are the bigger the bullseye on your back!

Bridgewater received two points in top 25 voting. So either one vote at #24 or two votes at #25.

Shenandoah also received one point, meaning one vote at #25.

BC was 6-1 in the ODAC last season (9-2 overall) and SU was 5-2 in the ODAC (8-2 overall).

Looking forward to the season.

y_jack_lok

The below was posted on another board. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Quote from: justafan12 on August 03, 2023, 04:56:42 PM
Sorry to post this question here as it does not relate to the ASC but no real other place to post this.

My son took a coaching job and was there for a total of 2 weeks before the college went belly up; out of business; closed the doors.  So he is scrambling to find a job; has had several college offers but nothing that he has settled on yet.  He currently has 1 year of college coaching in football. 
He has been offered a football coaching job at a local high school that is paying him way more that he would make as a college coach at this point.  He is afraid that if he gets out of college coaching that it will be hard to get back in even if it is just for a year. 
He thinks that a future college coach will look down on a year of high school experience on his resume.  My thoughts are it is easily explained as to why he is taking the high school job and as a dad I am thinking about the money that he would make.  He thinks the experience in college out weighs that. 

Any one have any thoughts on this; espically in regards to college coaches hiring him in the future.

Thanks

thescottharris

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 04, 2023, 09:21:51 AM
The below was posted on another board. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Quote from: justafan12 on August 03, 2023, 04:56:42 PM
Sorry to post this question here as it does not relate to the ASC but no real other place to post this.

My son took a coaching job and was there for a total of 2 weeks before the college went belly up; out of business; closed the doors.  So he is scrambling to find a job; has had several college offers but nothing that he has settled on yet.  He currently has 1 year of college coaching in football. 
He has been offered a football coaching job at a local high school that is paying him way more that he would make as a college coach at this point.  He is afraid that if he gets out of college coaching that it will be hard to get back in even if it is just for a year. 
He thinks that a future college coach will look down on a year of high school experience on his resume.  My thoughts are it is easily explained as to why he is taking the high school job and as a dad I am thinking about the money that he would make.  He thinks the experience in college out weighs that. 

Any one have any thoughts on this; espically in regards to college coaches hiring him in the future.

Thanks
A lot of D3 coaches throughout all the different sports having HS experience. I've ever seen head coaches get hired straight out of HS.

jknezek

Scott Abell came straight from a h.s. head coach to W&L. Now he has Davidson. Wouldn't think it's a career killer. Especially a year as an assistant.

83LittleGiant

Quick question:  Wabash is playing at HSC on Labor Day weekend.  Several of us are banding together to work out travel plans.  In checking out the  HSC website, I can see where visitor parking is located.  Does HSC charge admission for football games?  I don't see anything about ticketing on their website.  Looking forward to making the trip back to VA.

R-MC Guy

In prior years, H-SC has not charged admission. However, they do charge for parking. So, you pay per car.

thescottharris

Yep H-SC charges by vehicle. Stadium is so wide open that it logistically doesn't make much sense to charge standard admission.

They do for NCAA Tournament games because they have to, but it's really easy to still watch the game and avoid paying for a ticket.