MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faunch

Quote from: SUMMIT!!!!! on March 03, 2021, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: faunch on March 03, 2021, 09:01:50 PM
Quote from: jamtod on March 03, 2021, 08:48:24 PM
Probably the last MIAC game I will get a chance to listen to and I get the pleasure of a full game of VOJ. Gotta love it.

Could the officials call the Tommie$ for the body and hand check fouls on the press? Jesus Christ!!!
When in doubt, cry and blame the officials. The Johnnies' 14 turnovers (vs 6 by UST) couldn't be a factor-- it had to be bad officiating. The 18 points off those turnovers? Bad refs!  The inability to stop Riley Miller in the first half and the foolish choice of continually fouling Anders Nelson down the stretch? Of course its the refs doing.  Not being able to contain Bjorklund in the paint?  Yup, them dang refs did it again.

For all eternity, UST will have a 2 game win streak over SJU :)
FYI...I posted that around halftime so I'm not exactly sure how that would be blaming officials for a loss?? Have fun getting pounded by the D1 teams next year...want to take bets that U$T finishes above Denver U??? I like 👍 their chances!!!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2021, 12:11:03 AM
Quote from: SUMMIT!!!!! on March 03, 2021, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: faunch on March 03, 2021, 09:01:50 PM
Quote from: jamtod on March 03, 2021, 08:48:24 PM
Probably the last MIAC game I will get a chance to listen to and I get the pleasure of a full game of VOJ. Gotta love it.

Could the officials call the Tommie$ for the body and hand check fouls on the press? Jesus Christ!!!
When in doubt, cry and blame the officials. The Johnnies' 14 turnovers (vs 6 by UST) couldn't be a factor-- it had to be bad officiating. The 18 points off those turnovers? Bad refs!  The inability to stop Riley Miller in the first half and the foolish choice of continually fouling Anders Nelson down the stretch? Of course its the refs doing.  Not being able to contain Bjorklund in the paint?  Yup, them dang refs did it again.

For all eternity, UST will have a 2 game win streak over SJU :)
FYI...I posted that around halftime so I'm not exactly sure how that would be blaming officials for a loss?? Have fun getting pounded by the D1 teams next year...want to take bets that U$T finishes above Denver U??? I like 👍 their chances!!!

I watched a few Summit League games in the fall.  Man, I'm pretty sure UST could finish above Denver this year, let alone with whoever they're bringing in to bolster the roster next fall.  UMKC is a mid-level Summit team and I'm pretty sure the top D3s could hang with them.  I'd expect UST to be competing for conference titles once they're allowed to do so.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

SUMMIT!!!!!

It is only fitting that UST's opponent in today's final MIAC game is GAC, who for decades has been our primary rival on the court. Historically GAC has been the #2 hoops program behind UST. I'd rate Augsburg 3rd all-time & SJ2 fourth (they were a bottom feeder until 1969 -Smithy's 4th season- when they won their first title). Hamline was dominant till the early 60s (before my time!) but hasn't been much of a factor since then. Bethel, Carleton & Olaf have consistently been competitive & often fielded strong teams. SMU was a strong program in the 50s, 60s, 70s and even early 80s and is showing signs of returning to that level. Concordia has been good two or three of every 9-10 seasons, but always was a tough road game at least. For decades, Mac was at or near the bottom of the barrel, with 4-5 good seasons under Coach Kietzer and now has an abundance of optimism under Coach Woldeslassie.

I cherish so many good memories of fun, exciting games in all the gyms across the MIAC. Boisterous fans at every school - they could really get LOUD at SJU, GAC, Bethel, Carleton and Olaf!! Intensely competitive players in uniforms of all shades and colors. Some great venues for hoops-- the old gyms at SJU, GAC (with the hockey rink beneath the elevated basketball court), UST (both- hoops on 3rd floor?!) and Mac (maybe not the old Field House, but The Cage was amazing) as well as those currently used. Special mentions of Hutton and Memorial for the way they encapsulate historical architecture, keeping the ghosts of seasons past alive and still provide a sweet atmosphere today.

I will miss UST's many rivalries in the MIAC and expect to continue attending MIAC games & following the league. But I look forward with enthusiasm to joining and ascending the Summit!!

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

bball1122

Looks like UST has hired a new assistant,  Mike Maker.  Former head coach at Williams and also D1 Marist. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Maker_(basketball)

AO

St. Scholastica must be relieved to be joining the MIAC after yet another championship game loss last night.  4 championship game losses in the last 6 seasons including one OT loss and one 4OT loss.  They will have a solid group of seniors for their first year of MIAC play next season but I hesitate to make many predictions since we didn't get to see them play any non-conference games this year.  I'll certainly miss them as the Saints were probably the best rival we had in hoops.  Hope the MIAC enjoys their trips to Duluth, try not to get your bus stuck going up the hill!

tomt4525

6'0" Saint Croix Central PG, Gabe Siler, has committed to Bethel to play basketball next year.  Siler was Co-Middle Border Conference Player of the Year with someone who recently committed to UW-Platteville.  Siler is a do it all PG that if he improves his shooting percentage, should turn into a very good player.

faunch

Quote from: SUMMIT!!!!! on March 07, 2021, 02:01:41 PM
It is only fitting that UST's opponent in today's final MIAC game is GAC, who for decades has been our primary rival on the court. Historically GAC has been the #2 hoops program behind UST. I'd rate Augsburg 3rd all-time & SJ2 fourth (they were a bottom feeder until 1969 -Smithy's 4th season- when they won their first title). Hamline was dominant till the early 60s (before my time!) but hasn't been much of a factor since then. Bethel, Carleton & Olaf have consistently been competitive & often fielded strong teams. SMU was a strong program in the 50s, 60s, 70s and even early 80s and is showing signs of returning to that level. Concordia has been good two or three of every 9-10 seasons, but always was a tough road game at least. For decades, Mac was at or near the bottom of the barrel, with 4-5 good seasons under Coach Kietzer and now has an abundance of optimism under Coach Woldeslassie.

I cherish so many good memories of fun, exciting games in all the gyms across the MIAC. Boisterous fans at every school - they could really get LOUD at SJU, GAC, Bethel, Carleton and Olaf!! Intensely competitive players in uniforms of all shades and colors. Some great venues for hoops-- the old gyms at SJU, GAC (with the hockey rink beneath the elevated basketball court), UST (both- hoops on 3rd floor?!) and Mac (maybe not the old Field House, but The Cage was amazing) as well as those currently used. Special mentions of Hutton and Memorial for the way they encapsulate historical architecture, keeping the ghosts of seasons past alive and still provide a sweet atmosphere today.

I will miss UST's many rivalries in the MIAC and expect to continue attending MIAC games & following the league. But I look forward with enthusiasm to joining and ascending the Summit!!

Oral Roberts beat The Ohio State today. You've got a long road to compete at that level. Have fun 🤩 looking up at the Summit for a while. In order to compete U$T is going to have relax entrance requirements for a number of years. Prediction...Tommie$ might make conferences semifinals once or twice in the next ten years and play for conference playoff championship once in that time frame.
Most of this years $t. Thomas roster has played their last game for the Tommie$.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: faunch on March 19, 2021, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: SUMMIT!!!!! on March 07, 2021, 02:01:41 PM

Oral Roberts beat The Ohio State today. You've got a long road to compete at that level. Have fun 🤩 looking up at the Summit for a while. In order to compete U$T is going to have relax entrance requirements for a number of years. Prediction...Tommie$ might make conferences semifinals once or twice in the next ten years and play for conference playoff championship once in that time frame.
Most of this years $t. Thomas roster has played their last game for the Tommie$.
For someone who avows he hates UST, you sure spend a LOT of time worrying and analyzing Tommie athletics. its gonna be lonely being  a john after June 30.  How bout you worry about your school's programs-- as I recall, SJ2 hoops cant beat the UMAC in the NCAAs so you got some growing to do.

Italian proverb

Retired Old Rat

Freddie Gillespie of Woodbury (East Ridge HS, Carlton College, Baylor) has signed a 10 day contract with the Toronto Raptors.  What a great story.

This story in the Athletic is excellent. 

https://theathletic.com/2512339/2021/04/13/raptors-freddie-gillespie-takes-unbeaten-path-from-diii-to-the-nba-hes-not-a-normal-kid/

The Athletic is a pay site, I don't remember if they give you anything for free.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Cav-J

D3 Hoops announced its All West Region Team today.

Riley Miller [UST] = Player of the year, 1st team All West Region

Eli Cave [SMU] = 1st team All West Region

Anders Nelson [UST] = 2nd team All West Region

https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2020-21/west-men
Go Cards.

Titan Q

My conversation with UST's Johnny Tauer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbhACpxSZ3o&feature=emb_logo

0:00 Mixed Emotions
2:15 His journey at St. Thomas
4:02 Incredible MBB success at St. Thomas
8:05 No more brackets of death
10:00 Getting kicked out of the MIAC
16:15 Leaving something (D3) that has meant a lot
19:35 Moving to D1/The Summit League
22:45 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons (COVID)
27:48 Logistic of moving from D3 to D1 (scholarships, etc)
33:38 Returning players in 2021-22
39:10 Adjusting mindset from dominant program to building program
41:37 Mike Maker (Assistant Coach)
46:08 Chancey's battle w/ cancer
48:34 New addition to the family on the way
51:20 Jack going D3
57:26 What will he miss about D3?
1:00:27 Final thoughts

SUMMIT!!!!!

Well, it is here. The End has come. With baseball's loss in the second game Saturday night, UST is done competing in the MIAC. Softball will play this weekend in the World Series baseball will play in the NCAAs (at the Collegeville Section- how ironic!)and a few T&F competitors will go on in NCAAs and then by June 1, D3 is history as far as UST is concerned.

Personally, I am going to miss the long rivalries with our former MIAC brethren even as I look forward to the challenges of moving to D1. I wonder if beating Oral Roberts will feel the same as beating GAC, or if winning over NDSU or SDSU will be as gratifying as a win over SJU or Bethel. I've made many friends across the MIAC over the years, rooted in our common love of D3 athletics at its finest, for which the MIAC has always famous. the high quality of competition on the playing field,  the respect and appreciation of each other's performance and the camaraderie that surrounds MIAC events are, to me, what college athletics is supposed to be about and that can be found on every MIAC  playing field. I'm going to miss that for sure. Because of that, I plan to be at many MIAC games and events over the years to come.  Heck, I might even root for SJU once in a while!! ;D 8-)

It would be beautiful if UST brought home the walnut & bronze for a third time each in softball and baseball.

Italian proverb

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

WE ARE BACK!!!

Two years ago DIII was reeling with the news that fellow members of the MIAC had voted, in secret, to oust St. Thomas (Minn.) from the conference. It started a whirlwind of decisions and reactions on the UST campus and throughout the NCAA.

It also created a timeline: In two years time, UST would be leaving the MIAC and ultimately Division III. That meant watching two perennial basketball powers try and leave in style and on their terms. The Coronavirus Pandemic had other plans. Instead of celebrations, conference championships, and even national title chances... things have ended like a leaky ballon - just falling flat.

On the first Hoopsville podcast of the off-season, we chat with the two coaches who have kept their programs in the national conversation year in and year out and will now help them transition to Division I. Ruth Sinn and John Tauer join Dave McHugh to chat about the school and programs' history and love of Division III and how the change to DI will and will not change things.

It is a great conversation with two coaches who will be missed in DIII.

Plus, there are few things to note in the Hoopsville Notebook! Lots of coaching changes and a number of interesting twists with some of the searches. There are new rules that have been adopted for both sports. Plus what to expect from us, as a show, moving forward after taking some much need, and completely unintended, time off.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3vzDQYm or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/june

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2021-22 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hazzben

Quote from: bball1122 on August 14, 2021, 07:07:55 PM
Bethel is looking for a new head coach.

https://staffcareers-bethel.icims.com/jobs/1638/head-men%27s-basketball-coach/job?iis=Social+Networks&iieid=pt1628969209540acfd8

Sounds like Novak is returning to D1 as an assistant.

Novak is joining Miss St's Women's Bball staff as their top assistant. Takes him closer to his daughter who now lives down there.

Bethel is losing a good one, but he's left the program in a much better spot then he found it. I know of one very intriguing applicant already. I think there will be some good options for them, and it sounds like initially their incoming Freshman class is still holding together well. It helps that Asst Coach Alisha Hvistendahl really heads up almost all recruiting efforts, so that face and point of contact is remaining consistent.