MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reserved Seat

A lot of tie-breakers are ridiculous, too.

onetinsoldier

Quote from: crambam on February 28, 2012, 08:51:33 AM
I'm still at a loss to figure out why the Amherst men would have to move.  It makes no sense. 

Financially, if they charge, there's no way the men wouldn't outsell the women. 

They should either move the women's start time, or move the women. 

Could anyone imagine the Knicks moving venues because the Liberty want the court?

It's absolute silliness.  The Amherst men earned a seeding, and to lose it because of the women's team is just ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is happening because it could potentially help F&M, but this is not justice.

If this WAS F&M in this position, I'd be angry as hell.

Justice would technically be all games played at accessible neutral sites.  But that would destroy the atmosphere of great home/road split crowds. 
Go ahead and hate your neighbor, Go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, You can justify it in the end. There won't be any trumpets blowing Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

crambam

I'll give you that. 

Neutral sites in the Sweet 16 is the most fair. 

old_hooper

The real issue here is the NCAA.  As mentioned, these are isolated situations and to have either team penalized is unfair to the team, school and fan base.  This past weekend both teams hosted for conference championships in the same venue and it worked out.  There are reasonable alternatives that should be made in these situations but to say it is an "odd-even year," as the solution seems unfair to a team that has worked so hard to earn it.

crambam

So what did they do this weekend?

The NCAA needs to recognize the situation and deal with it.

I hope they kick the men to the curb because it's better for F&M, but I recognize that the Amherst men earned this. 

I don't have the women's bracket, but if the tourney is the same, the women also will get a bye into the second round. 

If both teams make the Sweet 16, they should either have the women play 2 games on Thursday, the men play two games on Friday, and each play one game on Saturday.

OR, do 4 games on Friday, with a 30 minute break between games.

It'll be interesting to see this play out. 

Dips75

Congratulations to Spencer Liddic and Alexandra Chili, both from Muhlenberg, and both first-team CC members, for making the Jostens Top Ten for the Player of the Year Award.

gordonmann

QuoteThe odd/even year thing is also ridiculous and random.  How often does this even happen?

It comes up every other year or so.

It's actually happening to the William Paterson women this weekend.  They are playing on the road this weekend for the same reason.  They would host this weekend, but the men also earned that right.  And during the first weekend of even years, the men get priority. Other programs that have had this issue in recent years include Hope, UW-Stevens Point and Washington U. 

7express

If you want to blame anyone, blame the NCAA because they have this rule.  The women get hosting rights in the first round in odd number years and sectionals in even number years and the men vice versa.  They were able to get by it in the first round because they gave the Amherst men the bye but rules are rules.  If the Hope women had been undefeated this year they would've had the same problem, and this is going on with William Paterson (the women "deserve" to play at home but can't, and same with Wash U, the Wash U women should probably be playing at home but can't because of the rule).  Until the NCAA gets rid of this rule, we'll have to live with it, and there's nothing we can do.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: crambam on February 28, 2012, 11:07:01 AM
The truth is not embarrassing.  The idea that this is even an issue is the embarrassment.  Have the women play earlier in the day.  Problem solved. 

You're kind of the one making this a big issue. :)

The reason there's a rotation in place is because a school shouldn't be put in a situation of having to decide which program it will support for hosting, and the committees shouldn't have to waste time battling each other out for positioning for their specific team. This way it's determined in advance. Yep, it's unfortunate for the team that has to go on the road but this doesn't happen all that often in the second weekend. And to be honest, hosting the sectionals isn't exactly a guarantee of advancing either. Last year two of the four hosts lost.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Reserved Seat

fritzdis

Just looking at York's numbers, nothing really stands out to me.  They're slightly better than their opponents in a lot of categories, but not by a significant margin anywhere.

Offensively, they're led by senior F Paul Kouvaris (CAC POY, 16.9 ppg, 55.3% FG, 74.3% FT, 6.6 rpg), along with junior G Julian Watson (13.1 ppg, 43.9% FG, 72.9% FT, 3.8 rpg, 2.7 apg).  F&M probably has enough good big men to keep Kouvaris from dominating the game, and they almost definitely have the guards to keep Watson in check if they decide to focus on him.  If they make Watson their focus, though, York has a pair of 3-point shooters that could hurt F&M if they get hot - senior G Mo Oursler (5.8 3FGA per game, 37.3%) and junior G Mitch Kemp (4.6 3FGA per game, 36%).  York has 7 players that get 19+ minutes/g, and they all score 6+ ppg.

Defensively, York doesn't get a lot of steals (6.8, 254th) or blocks (1.9, 347th).  They do force a decent number of turnovers (16.6), so F&M will have to take care of the ball, as always.  Whether they have anyone who can guard Milligan effectively or how their big men will match up with F&M's, I have no idea.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

crambam - for starters, it is called Title IX. There is nothing wrong with that... and it is equality. Secondly, get caught up on Amherst women... you will see they are #1 in the country and have an unreal winning streak... not to mention the defending national champions. Thirdly, if you looked at the women's bracket you will notice there are NO byes.. because the women have a 64-team bracket due to the fact that they have more women's programs in D3 then the men do nationally.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

crambam

I've heard of Title IX.  There is something wrong with it when it forces men who earned their spot out for a sport that no one cares about.

Again, before you get on a soapbox, take it objectively and compare attendance between the two events.  Who cares if their women are national champions?  If you want to test their winning streak, let them run 10 minutes with the men's JV team or a even any local boys high school team and see how they do. 

Just because the NCAA and the government wants to force people to pretend that women's sports is equal doesn't mean that it actually is.  That's a laughable fiction. 

The lack of a 64 team bracket in the men is a fault of the NCAA.  How many good teams are on the outside due to dumb automatic bids?  It's not like they can't find 64 good teams.

If anything, maybe the men have a Title IX complaint of their own if the women get 64 teams and the men get 62. 

Pat--I guess I am making this a big issue.  I just find it ridiculous.  Again, this is good for F&M should they make it that far.  Amherst is dangerous in this tournament and beating them will be extremely tough.  It will require F&M to play a great game. 

But I recognize the value of home court advantage and I see that the men are being hurt because of a calendar year and I find that moronic.  No, it's not a guarantee.  But it does help.  I've been to the big games.  I've seen it. 

Not that this is the only dumb thing the NCAA does, but it's still dumb.  The NCAA should look this over, realize that both teams earned their home court, and should accommodate both teams with scheduling.  If not by the day of the week, then by time of the game. 

And yes, I realize that unless the NCAA changes the rule, we have to live with it.  Doesn't mean we can't complain about it on boards like this one. 

onetinsoldier

Quote from: Reserved Seat on February 28, 2012, 09:32:47 PM
Any comments on the games?

in terms of the games, i like F&M's chances this weekend.  While Friday's game on paper might be a mismatch, the main issue is you have two rival schools, 30 minutes apart.  York draws well at home, so i'd have to believe they will have a number of fans that make the short trip east.  When youre dealing with a potential crazy atmosphere, and two rival schools as well as the coaches, the "on paper" term is meaningless. 

Chris Newport and WConn both like to play fast and have good offenses, but Newport plays better defense.  WC is led by one of the countrys leading scorers in DaQuan Brooks.  If Newport has an answer for him, expect them to advance. 

If it is Newport Saturday, its going to be a tough out.  They lack the quality wins to really be able to say they can play with a team as good as F&M, but they are 23-4, all losses are to solid teams and 3 of them were close.  If its WC, their best chance is to be lights out from behind the arc.  WC, thanks to Brooks and their stellar 3point shooting will have a punchers chance against anyone. 
Go ahead and hate your neighbor, Go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, You can justify it in the end. There won't be any trumpets blowing Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: crambam on February 29, 2012, 07:20:52 AM
Again, before you get on a soapbox, take it objectively and compare attendance between the two events. 

1) Just because an event is attended by fewer people doesn't mean it's less important.
2) I really don't think a D-III fan should EVER use attendance as a measure of what is important! Otherwise, nothing we follow and hold dear is important.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.