MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimate Titan Fan

I wonder how that will work out for Wilmsen...if he'll be a 2-sport athlete in football? Is it possible or do their practice schedules conflict too much?

Titan Q

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on June 14, 2021, 03:51:28 PM
I wonder how that will work out for Wilmsen...if he'll be a 2-sport athlete in football? Is it possible or do their practice schedules conflict too much?

Wilmsen was a high school standout in 3 sports - basketball, football, lacrosse.

I've never heard mention of him playing football or lacrosse at IWU.  I'm fairly certain he is just playing basketball.

Wilmsen is a big-time D3 basketball recruit.

devildog29

I tried to scroll back to see if this had been mentioned already on this board and couldn't find anything in my admittedly cursory search.  I seem to recall some mention of it I thought, but here's the formal announcement anyway.  Should be a great tourney.

https://www.iwusports.com/news/2021/6/21/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-announces-sikma-hall-of-fame-invitational.aspx
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here, all out for Wesleyan!

Titan Q

Quote from: devildog29 on June 21, 2021, 01:30:57 PM
I tried to scroll back to see if this had been mentioned already on this board and couldn't find anything in my admittedly cursory search.  I seem to recall some mention of it I thought, but here's the formal announcement anyway.  Should be a great tourney.

https://www.iwusports.com/news/2021/6/21/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-announces-sikma-hall-of-fame-invitational.aspx

Inaugural field:

IWU
UW-Oshkosh
St. John's
Hope

Very cool.

Titan Q

IWU's 2021-22 schedule...

https://www.iwusports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

I have to believe that is one of the toughest in the country.

Next Man Up

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on June 22, 2021, 02:16:25 PM
North Park has posted their 21-22 schedule.

https://athletics.northpark.edu/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Beyond the CCIW's 2021-2022 National Championship team, I haven't really thought about how things might shake out conference-wise this year. As far as the various teams non conference records, it appears the eastern Vikings could be poised for a high percentage finish. Dominican, Lake Forest, Cal Lutheran, Greenville, Knox, and Earlham combined for a 10-50 record last season. And while a combined 26-11, Buena Vista (9-3); Eureka (8-3], and Rockford (9-5) would seem to present more formidable opposition, their records weren't exactly achieved against a great deal of upper level opposition. Additionally, I think a couple
of these teams lost some of their top performers. Also, NPU gets Buena Vista, quite likely the toughest of their non-conference opponents, at home. All in all, it seems the Parkers could well post a nice non-conf percentage.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Next Man Up on June 25, 2021, 02:13:52 PM
Quote from: PauldingLightUP on June 22, 2021, 02:16:25 PM
North Park has posted their 21-22 schedule.

https://athletics.northpark.edu/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Beyond the CCIW's 2021-2022 National Championship team, I haven't really thought about how things might shake out conference-wise this year. As far as the various teams non conference records, it appears the eastern Vikings could be poised for a high percentage finish. Dominican, Lake Forest, Cal Lutheran, Greenville, Knox, and Earlham combined for a 10-50 record last season. And while a combined 26-11, Buena Vista (9-3); Eureka (8-3], and Rockford (9-5) would seem to present more formidable opposition, their records weren't exactly achieved against a great deal of upper level opposition. Additionally, I think a couple
of these teams lost some of their top performers. Also, NPU gets Buena Vista, quite likely the toughest of their non-conference opponents, at home. All in all, it seems the Parkers could well post a nice non-conf percentage.

Yeah, well, two years ago the North Park non-con schedule was likewise loaded up with tomato cans, and yet the Vikings were so bad that several of those tomato cans punched the Vikings in the nose and forced NPU to absorb some losses that would embarrass any CCIW team.

This coming year North Park should start out with a better talent base than it had two years ago, and I don't expect the Vikings to go 4-21 again. But I'm not making any confident predictions about the 2021-22 non-conference schedule, either, until I get a good look at next year's edition of the team and get a feeling for where the Vikings stand.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ultimate Titan Fan

Ok, Greg. I had to think about "tomato cans." Back on the farm, I'd shoot at tin cans with my .22 because they were worthless throw-aways. Am I in the ballpark? Regarding the non-conference schedule, I'm with Mia Smith on this one: "Steel sharpens steel." Maybe you have a similar philosophy. But the real thrill is playing a team we've never seen before. Just the "newness" of it, I guess, whether they're good of bad.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on June 25, 2021, 04:21:37 PM
Ok, Greg. I had to think about "tomato cans." Back on the farm, I'd shoot at tin cans with my .22 because they were worthless throw-aways. Am I in the ballpark?

No, it's a boxing term for an unskilled club fighter that an aspiring champion would fight in order to pad his record. It originated in the idea that, just as a kid out for a walk would kick a tomato can on his way down the road, so, too, a gifted boxer on the rise would beat up on assorted bleeders, glass jaws, and untrained bouncers and leg-breakers (think Rocky Balboa) on his way to the championship belt.

You got the gist of the meaning, but it's specifically a boxing term I used to fit with the phrase "punched the Vikings in the nose" to describe their 2019-20 losses to perennially weak programs from inferior leagues.

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on June 25, 2021, 04:21:37 PM
Regarding the non-conference schedule, I'm with Mia Smith on this one: "Steel sharpens steel."

Why am I not shocked that you're attributing an age-old aphorism to a Wesleyan coach? ::)

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on June 25, 2021, 04:21:37 PMMaybe you have a similar philosophy.

I do. I think that whatever confidence boost a team gets from beating a clearly inferior non-con opponent doesn't come close to the value of a game against a talented opponent that will push a team to play better. There is a modest but measurable correlation between playing a tougher non-con schedule and finding success in conference play. It's not even close to being an exact correspondence; plenty of great CCIW teams have played so-so non-conference schedules, and plenty of CCIW teams that have played tough non-conference schedules have failed to make headway once league play starts. At the end of the day, the relative talent you put on the floor and the relative talent of your conference opponents are the two factors that mostly determine your success, not who you played or didn't play in non-conference play. But as a general rule, I think that playing good non-con opponents promotes a team's development. Of course, it all has to be measured against the bigger picture of how non-conference scheduling affects a team's chances for postseason play (i.e., balancing winning percentage against strength of schedule).

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on June 25, 2021, 04:21:37 PMBut the real thrill is playing a team we've never seen before. Just the "newness" of it, I guess, whether they're good of bad.

I agree somewhat. I do like the novelty of seeing a new opponent (and, as is the case with Buena Vista, the challenge of not slipping up when pronouncing the opponent's name on the air ;)).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Next Man Up

NCC TRANSFER

6'4" SG Ethan Helwig is transferring from D1 Merrimack to North Central where he will join his brother Matt.
As an All-Area performer at Class 4A Metea Valley in Aurora in 2018-2019, he averaged 20.3 PPG, 3.4 RPG, and 3.5 APG.
His scoring records at Metea were 38 points in a single game, 590 in a season, and 1,262 for his career.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: petemcb on July 08, 2021, 09:59:57 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 07, 2021, 09:11:57 PM
Kinda cool to see North Park getting mentioned on nba.com:

https://in.nba.com/news/nba-academy-india-graduate-lalhnehpuia-chhakchhuak-commits-to-north-park-university/zstdj6w4khnb1jc1pxv284aad

https://in.nba.com/news/lalhnehpuia-chhakchhuak-with-sports-psychology-as-back-up-nba-academy-alum-ready-for-basketball-journey-at-north-park-university/1hgkzyr3c2xto1nugkftmb20qt?fbclid=IwAR26BxG45lfSODQ4ND83M3zP2OoVzDxdcx2FjQIjI_R6MxIkDZQc2PsDofA

It'll be a lot of fun to hear the various CCIW announcers grapple with the pronunciation when he checks into the game.

While I'll have it nailed down, and Scot Gladstone will have it nailed down, and I know that Tyler Woolbright will include Lalhnehpuia Chhakchhuak's name in a phonetic pronunciation guide for Tyler's SID peers, and I'm 100% certain that Lucas Mitzel will PM me to ask for pronunciation tips before NPU visits NCC -- and he'll nail it, too -- I can't vouch for any other broadcasters or P.A. announcers in the league.

By now, though, I have a pretty good idea of who in the CCIW does their homework and who doesn't when it comes to pronunciations. I can't be totally certain, but I think I can guess with a reasonable degree of accuracy who'll provide at least a decent Americanized approximation of that new Viking's name and who won't.

(Sometimes it's the unobvious names that provide the most difficulty. Case in point: This past season the North Park softball team featured a new P/3B named Alyssa Malicki. The COVID-19 pandemic meant no Media Day access to the players, which is when I typically learn how to pronounce the names of new Vikings. But I've known people with that surname before who pronounce it "muh-LIH-kee," and I know that Hollywood actress Adrianne Palicki pronounces her name "puh-LIH-kee," so we went with "muh-LIH-kee" in the booth for the first game of NPU's opening doubleheader. Lo and behold, her mom, who listened to the game on her phone while watching it from the stands, came up to the press box between games to tell us how much she enjoyed our call -- but she also corrected us by saying, "It's MAL-ih-kee." So ... live and learn. Fortunately, by the time Alyssa entered the booth for a postgame interview after the doubleheader, we'd already been pronouncing her name correctly throughout game two.

Naturally, every other broadcaster and/or P.A. announcer in the CCIW called her "Alyssa muh-LIH-kee" all season long. CCIW softball doesn't seem to get the same attention to detail from game personnel as CCIW men's basketball.)