MIFDad

Quote from: SoCal OG on March 22, 2021, 05:58:48 PM
Quote from: MIFDad on March 22, 2021, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: SoCal OG on March 18, 2021, 02:06:38 PM
Quote from: MIFDad on March 06, 2021, 05:15:23 PM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on March 04, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
Sciac 2021 schedule:
https://thesciac.org/sports/bsb/2020-21/schedule
Matches up with what Mr. Parkman posted.

For those of us who are parents, fans, or players with the 5 LA County schools, this is truly maddening.

Edit - 6.

Its really rough watching everyone else play right now. 

Yes, it really is.  At least you have a couple more years to look forward to, if I'm not mistaken.  I thought I had one. My son is a senior and was all set to return and play as a grad student.  But last week he got a job offer that is too good to refuse.  I'm not happy about his baseball career being over. The fact that he'll be making a f-ton of money starting his professional career at a great company makes me feel better, but still.... it sucks.

I'm still hoping they'll find a way to put together a couple of games in April, but that's probably just a delusion on my part.

Sorry about that, I truly feel for the 20/21 Sr class.  Not the way its supposed to go down.  Luckily my son does have two years left but I can already tell its just not the same.  His attitude has completely changed.  With everything that has happened I think he was forced to see the end of baseball before it really happened.  We'll see how it goes...I'm looking fwd to seeing him on the field again...and savor every second of it.

Sorry to hear that about your son.  I heard from reputable source a couple days ago that La Verne is trying to ramp up and play some games.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Teddy_Ballgame

A little late, but Pomona's Ryan Long was drafted in the 17th round of the 2021 MLB draft by the Orioles https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/all/team/orioles. Obviously, Ryan hadn't been able to pitch for the Sagehens since the season was shutdown in 2020. However, he did appear in 4 games this summer for the Cotuit Kettleers in the Cape Cod League. Ryan signed with the O's, and in so doing forewent transferring to Georgetown to play in the Big East and pursue a master's degree. Congrats to Ryan!

SoCal OG

Watched my first game in two years yesterday!!  Soo happy to see the boys back on the field.  Looking forward to seeing more SCIAC baseball.

Purple Heys

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

First SCIAC rotation in the books.
Cal Lu sweeps Cal Tech
Oxy sweeps Whittier    :(
Redlands takes 2 of 3 from P-P

CMS has yet to lose a a non-conference series
Chapman and ULV are just getting out of the gate

Too early to call who will be the top 4 but it seems pretty apparent that the battle for the cellar is going down next weekend between Whittier and Cal Tech.  COVID seems to have stifled the forward progress of Cal Tech and it has absolutely wrecked the Poets.  I hate to think that Whittier could lose this series but right now they are struggling to keep runs off the board.  Cal Tech seems to have a similar affliction, so this series shapes up to be a toss up...but for the wrong reasons.  Neither seems to be competitive other than with each other, this is a tilt to see who is worse, not who is better.

Personally, I hope Whittier finds it within themselves to step up, lift their game, and meet the challenge...and maybe gain confidence to pull out of this swoon.

Purple Heys

Round 1 goes to the Poets...it's a step in the right direction...DH at Pasadena today.

Purple Heys

Cal Tech is 3 outs away from taking G2 and setting up a winner take all G3...yoiks.

About to board a cross country flight, won't be able following the game live.  Will land to the big reveal.  Can Cal Tech break through?  Can Whittier step up and stave off ignominy?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on March 05, 2022, 04:25:00 PM
Cal Tech is 3 outs away from taking G2 and setting up a winner take all G3...yoiks.

About to board a cross country flight, won't be able following the game live.  Will land to the big reveal.  Can Cal Tech break though?  Can Whittier step up and stave off ignominy?

And the Beavers sweep the double header and take the series 2-1. First SCIAC series win for Caltech since the early 70's.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 06, 2022, 11:19:31 AM

About to board a cross country flight, won't be able following the game live.  Will land to the big reveal.  Can Cal Tech break though?  Can Whittier step up and stave off ignominy?

And the Beavers sweep the double header and take the series 2-1. First SCIAC series win for Caltech since the early 70's.

Oh the humanity... :'(

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purple Heys on March 06, 2022, 11:40:49 AM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 06, 2022, 11:19:31 AM

Oh the humanity... :'(

Actually, that's not fair to Cal Tech, who proved to be the better team.  Congratulations to them on getting this G-O-rilla off their backs.  It was truly only a question of when.

Ralph Turner

I have often thought that Cal Tech is in the wrong conference. MIT draws from the same pool of student-athletes and has had a modicum of success. For Cal Tech's sake, it is too bad that the SCIAC is such a strong baseball conference.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2022, 12:06:39 AM
I have often thought that Cal Tech is in the wrong conference. MIT draws from the same pool of student-athletes and has had a modicum of success. For Cal Tech's sake, it is too bad that the SCIAC is such a strong baseball conference.
MIT has 4 times the students.  The real key for Caltech (as baseball from MLB on down) is getting pitching.  Maybe they have one or two. :-\
One of the pitchers had a complete game, and the other pitched eight innings.
Fierce When Roused

Purple Heys

Quote from: Gray Fox on March 07, 2022, 05:16:49 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2022, 12:06:39 AM
MIT has 4 times the students.  The real key for Caltech (as baseball from MLB on down) is getting pitching.  Maybe they have one or two. :-\
One of the pitchers had a complete game, and the other pitched eight innings.

Cal Tech's coach is a former catcher, that's gotta play in there somehow.  During the last couple years of his tenure as asst. coach at Whittier, the pitching was notably sound.  He's a good dude.  I was happy for him to get the gig, but also leery that just this very thing would occur.

But the Cal Tech I've seen the last 8 years has always had 1 good starter and ridden him hard to squeeze a win.  Krop class of 2018 I think was a darn bulldog of a pitcher and could've got good innings with any SCIAC team. 

Purple Heys

Purple Heys

It could've been worse but Chapman missed 2 PAT's.   :-\