BB: UAA: University Athletic Association

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybird44

WashU finished off a 3-game weekend sweep of Illinois Tech with lopsided victories in Sunday's doubleheader at WashU.

The #4 Bears won 14-1 and 10-0 to run their record to 6-0.  Best start for the Bears since an 8-0 start for the 2006 team.

The WashU offense was relentless from the start of the series to the finish...double-digits in runs and hits in each of the three games.  The Bears had 45 hits in 108 at-bats, a .417 BA.  59 total bases in the series, for a .546 slugging %. 

The Bears' pitching was very good as well in the series:  4 ER in 26 IP, a 1.38 ERA...34 Ks (11.77 per 9 IP), 12 H, 11 BB, 0.88 WHIP.  Fielding?  3 errors in 106 chances = .972 fielding%.

It's one thing to mash the ball at the plate, but it's quite another to not get lax with your pitching and fielding.  WashU was as disciplined on the mound and in the field, as they were relentless at the plate.  If the Bears can continue to do so on a consistent basis, they can go a long, long way in the NCAA Tournament.

Yes, I'm taking some early sips of the Kool-Aid.  Anxious to see how WashU fares at home this weekend vs. Coe...the team than knocked WashU out of the NCAA Regional in three instant D3 baseball classics.  That series may be among the most-anticipated by D3 baseball fans, this early in the season.

Jim Dixon

jaybird44 will be pleased when he opens his twitter account to find out who the number one team is.

jaybird44

Ha ha!  Very pleased, to say the least!  The players and the coaching staff have worked hard to elevate the status of the program.  Now we'll see how long they can hold on to the top spot!

Bishopleftiesdad

Wash U has a really good assistant in Rosen. He recruited my son long ago and I always thought he would do well.

jaybird44

Yesterday, WashU had a successful first defense of its first-ever #1 national ranking, by posting a 10-0 victory over visiting MacMurray College.  The Bears are now 7-0, heading into a sensational series rematch with Coe this weekend at WashU.

The biggest takeaway from yesterday's game was the spotlight on the quality of depth WashU has with its pitching staff.  It was a bullpen day on the mound.  Matt Lopes, Jared Fong, Daniel Broadie, Austin Sachen, and Dominic DiCosimo combined to toss a one-hit shutout.

Lopes gave up the lone hit in his 5-inning stint (clean line-drive single to left, BTW).  Primarily a back-end-of-a-game closer, Lopes showed that he could start a game and provide meaningful innings if needed.  Much like Tim Tague does for the Bears right now (who was named to the D3Baseball.com Team of the Week for his 4-inning, 6-K long relief stint for a win vs. Illinois Tech last weekend).

Fong, Broadie, and DiCosimo were impressive as well, in their one-inning stints.  But the highlight of the day was the inning provided by little-known Austin Sachen.  Sachen only pitched 1/3 of an inning last season as a freshman, so when he entered the game for his first appearance of the season, I didn't know what to expect.  The lefty wowed the crowd by striking out the side with utterly filthy stuff.  All but one of his pitches were fastballs at 89-90 MPH (two WashU pitchers had a radar gun on Sachen)...and the last pitch was a wicked curve that broke off at 76.

Players and fans were both jazzed by Sachen's work, and WashU may have discovered that it has a diamond-in-the-rough on its pitching staff.  Fun to watch.

Now, the Bears host Coe this weekend, in a rematch series of last season's NCAA Regional at WashU.  The Bears and Coe had 3 epic meetings, with Cornell and Aurora weaved in for good measure.  In the 3rd meeting, Coe was down to its final out in the top of the 9th against WashU's John Howard; the National Pitcher of the Year trying to get one more inning out of his gas tank to nail down a save and a trip to the Super Regional.  Riley LeGrand foiled that attempt with his only HR of the season, a no-doubt 2-run blast to straightaway center field to put Coe up 4-3.  WashU countered by putting runners at first and second base with one out in the bottom of the 9th, but could only muster two fly-ball outs in the loss to Coe.

So, I suspect that this series rematch will be one of the more widely-viewed series across D3 baseball...especially early in the season.  Game 1 of the series begins at 2:00 Central Saturday afternoon, and a doubleheader is scheduled for 11 a.m./2:30 p.m. Sunday.  Sunny weather with temps ranging from 60-65 degrees is forecast.  Come to St. Louis to watch in person or check out the proceedings on the WashU Sports Network (washubears.com).  Click on "Live Broadcasts" to access the games.

deiscanton

It's the start of the 2022 baseball season in the UAA today.  Emory starts their season this afternoon at home vs Berry right now.

Chris Mooneyham with the baseball commentary on the Emory game feed.

deiscanton

Emory won their season opener vs Berry today, 17-5, in Atlanta.

Congrats to Emory baseball coach Mike Twardoski-- 600 career wins.

Next up for Emory is a 3 game series vs Covenant.  The Eagles will play at Covenant on Friday, and then host a doubleheader vs Covenant this Saturday.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: deiscanton on February 08, 2022, 05:13:06 PM
Emory won their season opener vs Berry today, 17-5, in Atlanta.

Congrats to Emory baseball coach Mike Twardoski-- 600 career wins.

Next up for Emory is a 3 game series vs Covenant.  The Eagles will play at Covenant on Friday, and then host a doubleheader vs Covenant this Saturday.

I applaud Coach T's 600th win. He is a good guy and plays the right way.

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

DagarmanSpartan

Good to see CWRU win the title.

I assume that the UAA doesn't get an autobid to the NCAAs, right?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on April 25, 2022, 05:54:59 PM
Good to see CWRU win the title.

I assume that the UAA doesn't get an autobid to the NCAAs, right?

You are correct.

DagarmanSpartan

What are the odds of CWRU getting an at large bid?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on April 26, 2022, 01:06:09 PM
I believe that the first Regional Rankings come out next week.

YourAverageRighty

SOS is going to help but doesn't change the fact that 16 losses is a lot of losses. Seems odd to see them ranked and not say William Patterson with #3 SOS at 24-12

Ralph Turner

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on April 26, 2022, 01:06:09 PM
Please take the 1st regional rankings and post the scores and record of CWRU games against those teams for us.

That is what the committee will do.