MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Beer and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

RogK

This may interest a few of you :
Among my debris are a few pages of the January 2 1973 Chicago Sun-Times which I (as a youth) saved. The front page is labeled as 5 star "Turf Final" which I believe meant that it had the latest horse racing results.
The reason I kept it is the main headline, "Plane crash kills baseball's Clemente".
In the Sports pages is a piece titled "Pfund, Clum push Wheaton by Benedictine."
"Wheaton College used a superior height advantage and 56 per cent floor shooting New Year's night to humble visiting Illinois Benedictine 112-57.
Randy Pfund and Steve Clum scored 23 points each with identical 11 baskets and one free throw statistics with Clum claiming 21 rebounds.
WHEATON   3/8XCREPLATE
Pete Alvino got double-figure scoring (14 points) for the third straight game after earning a first-string promotion and Dale Mitchell added 12 as Wheaton hiked its record to 3-5.
Guard Pete Lorenz had 26 points for Benedictine off 50 per cent field-goal shooting and 6-of-6 free throws. He also had five assists as Benedictine fell to 2-6."
the stats only have made baskets (all 2FGs of course) and FT-att :
WHEATON Pfund 11 1-2, Clum 11 1-2, Cook 9 0-0, Lawther 2 0-0, Alvino 7 0-0, Mitchell 6 0-1, W'lmington (a typo, I assume) 3 0-1, Comstock 2 0-0, Borgeson 1 0-0, Loerop 2 2-2. 54 4-7
BENEDICTINE Lorenz 10 6-6, Stark 1 0-0, Krema 6 0-0, Weber 2 1-2, Procozko 2 0-0, Schmecht 1 0-0, Cherbanek 2 0-0, Tabor 1 0-0. 25 7-8
Halftime Wheaton 54 Benedictine 27
Total fouls Wheaton 13 Benedictine 16
Fouled out - none.
the big mystery is the message "WHEATON 3/8XCREPLATE"  -- we may never solve that one! (I suppose it had to do with the layout of the page for printing and the proofreader goofed)

Next Man Up

Congrats to former North Central All-American Class of '13 🏀 player Derek Raridon, announced today as having been elected to the North Central College Athletic Hall of Fame. His induction will take place in conjunction with this year's Homecoming festivities on Saturday, Sept. 25th. 👍
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Gregory Sager

Three more additions for North Park:

Floyd Bailey, 6'0 PG (Zion-Benton)
Jonathan Johansson, 6'4, 190 SG (Stockholm, Sweden)
Jarvis Sutton, 6'4, 215 G/F (St. Joseph)

Johansson is a rising junior who played for Trinity International in 2019-20 and 2020-21. Last season he averaged 8.6 ppg for the Trojans and was a .368/.340/.864 shooter. His best game was a 20-point performance against a St. Ambrose team that finished 2nd in the 15-team CCAC.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Next Man Up

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on July 28, 2021, 12:39:10 PM
Augustana has posted their 2021-2022 schedule in full.

https://athletics.augustana.edu/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

NCC will certainly be closely eyeing the opening game tape several times prior to their Dec 11th visit to Oshkosh.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

tomt4525

Round Lake Guard, Hakim Williams, committed to Illinois Wesleyan.  That is another good get for the Titans.

north central

Quote from: Titan Q on July 14, 2021, 02:03:25 PM
My conversation with Mike Rejniak, GM and Head Coach of We Are D3.  The team is 2 days from its round 1 game of The Tournament in the Wichita regional - 6pm CT Friday on ESPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVbztjqBUR0

IWU alum Brady Rose is 1 of the 10 team members.

It was a shame that Max Hisatake wasn't on this team. He would have no question been a great addition and could have helped tremendously and could have matched the size and athleticism of many of the players they competed against.He will be going to play professionally in Japan next month and this would have been good for all parties involved. He was easily the most physically talented kid I've seen at the D3 level the last 20 years.

north central

Quote from: Next Man Up on July 21, 2021, 04:17:53 PM
Congrats to former North Central All-American Class of '13 🏀 player Derek Raridon, announced today as having been elected to the North Central College Athletic Hall of Fame. His induction will take place in conjunction with this year's Homecoming festivities on Saturday, Sept. 25th. 👍

No brainer. Great player, great guy, was an absolute joy to coach.

Titan Q

Ron Rose and the Titans have landed Hakim Williams, a 6-3 G from Round Lake HS.

As a JR averaged 19 pts & 10 reb. As a SR 21 pts & 10 reb. Named Northern Lake County Player of the Year.  Had a number of big games including 30 & 13 vs Lakes.

I think this is a big one.

https://twitter.com/hakimwilliams7/status/1420533720788897793?s=20

Ultimate Titan Fan

His game film looks super. Really strong to the rim. A lot of those rebounds in his stats are his own shots. He actually listens to a coach who tells him "follow your shot"

Next Man Up

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on July 29, 2021, 10:12:25 AM
His game film looks super. Really strong to the rim. A lot of those rebounds in his stats are his own shots. He actually listens to a coach who tells him "follow your shot"

UTF,
Following your shot is indeed a fundamental part of the game that is ignored by the vast majority of high school and college players in today's game. About as rare as seeing a team that plays with a true center or has anyone who can consistently hit a midrange jumper. 🏀 😉

Titan Q

RogK

This may interest a few of you :
While checking what Doug Porter is up to over at Bethel in Indiana, I saw this item regarding a recent Elmhurst men's player
https://www.bupilots.com/article/womens-basketball/womens-basketball-announces-addition-of-auker
- -

Gregory Sager

As illogical as it sounds, I'm always surprised when a CCIW basketball player from Indiana doesn't go into coaching.

We may brag about our hoops here in the Prairie State, but this sport is a religion in the land of Hoosiers. Having two nephews in Indiana who are currently high-school basketball players has really driven that home for me. Not only do Indiana kids learn how to dribble at the same time that they learn how to walk, I'm pretty sure that they can all diagram the motion offense on a whiteboard by the time that they're in kindergarten.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell