Summer Leagues

Started by Bishopleftiesdad, October 28, 2011, 12:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

First off not sure that this is the correct place for this topic. If not feel free to move to a better location.

I want to get an Idea were coaches in the Mid East region send their players for Summer Baseball. We have heard of all the National ones such as the Cape, NECBL, Northwoods etc.

What are the other leagues that give D3 players a chance?

See a lot of questions on other forums about were do D2 and D3 freshman play? Havent't seen a real good answer yet.

For example my son has a chance to play in the New York Collegiate Baseball League next summer. I checked all there rosters and found only a few D3 Mideast players. (caveat: I am sure I do not know all the mid east region teams, so might have missed a few.)

What do you think?

motorman

My son was possibly headed to the New York or New England League last year. His coach was sure he could get him into one or the other last year as a freshman, however, he got hurt right before Christmas. So those plans got shelved and he played in the Tri State Collegiate League after a full recovery. He was playing for the Canton Terriers and got called up to the Great Lakes League Stark Co. Terriers for the last week of the season and did very well there also.

This year it appears likely he is going to play in the Prospect League.

Bishopleftiesdad

Congrat's to your son getting to play in the Prospect league. I know that League pretty well and it is full of good teams and players. Good luck to your son.

BBFan62

Quote from: motorman on October 28, 2011, 08:34:24 PM
My son was possibly headed to the New York or New England League last year. His coach was sure he could get him into one or the other last year as a freshman, however, he got hurt right before Christmas. So those plans got shelved and he played in the Tri State Collegiate League after a full recovery. He was playing for the Canton Terriers and got called up to the Great

My son, the lone D3 pitcher on the team, played for Stark County. He enjoyed the summer and his teammates. It was a big confidence booster for him, and he ended with respectable numbers. He would gladly return to the Terriers but is also considering elsewhere. I told him to speak with his coach and try to decide where he could play next year. He was apprehensive at first but worked with their pitching coach. He actually led the team in appearances and started a few games in the second half of the season. I believe he was aplesant surprise to the team. So, we'll see what happens next year,

infielddad

There are plenty of leagues where D3 players get a chance and compete.  Only the Cape is out of reach for all but a very select few.
On the other hand, there are teams in some of the leagues where D3's have a tough time getting a roster spot.
Our son was lucky enough to land a roster spot a few years back with the Newport Gulls in the NECBL and he had both a wonderful experience and terrific season.  For the most part however, Newport can be quite selective in ways that are quite similar to a Cape League team.
As you look across all the leagues, you will also find there really is not one that is focused on D3 players...and that is a good thing, in my view.
In terms of roster spots, there are plenty of D3 players in the NECBL, Coastal Plain, Northwoods, and West Coast Leagues for instance.
These are only examples.  Chapman has good success placing players in the Northwoods, for instance.  Trinity, Tx has placed its players in most of the leagues I mentioned.
What is usually required is a college coaching staff which works very, very hard through every contact they have to get their players placed, in these leagues. What is also usually required is the players, once they get that opportunity, make the very, very best of the opportunity, both on the field and as a representative of their D3 program.  Summer league coaches and GM's have long memories if they take a player and he either doesn't show up, shows up and leaves early, or shows up and does not give 100% every day.  Most Summer league owners, GM's and coaches want to win. They put in 10 months of very hard work for 2-3 months of baseball. Having players work hard and succeed is all the reward they usually want.  Having the opposite experience with players does not reflect well with  them.
As had been mentioned, the Summer leagues can be a huge benefit for D3 players.  They can see plenty of better to top quality D1 and D2 players.
Competing and succeeding as BBFan62 noted is not only  a confidence booster, the players improve...sometimes dramatically.

Bishopleftiesdad

Infielddad,
Thanks for your response and insights. I to think it is a good for a player to get a chance to play against  Players from other divisions. That is what I am hoping for my son. Looking at the NYCBL it is a mix. Most teams have at least some D1 players. I know there was a split and some of the teams created there own league, The Perfect Game Collegiate League.
Checking out NYCBL's rosters there is quite a diversity. Plenty of D1, D2 and JC players. I think ot will be a good opportunity.
Told my son to ask some questions such as Host family and cost of living to a player he knows who has played in this league. I want him to know what to expect and make an informed decision.

Thanks again.

DUBBALL15

For us at Denison we send our guys all over the place. 

We've had both Vaske's in the Great Lakes League last year.  We are sending a couple kids to Alaska this year.  We've had some play in the West Coast League, NYCBL, NECBL, SCBL, and Coastal Plains League, and also the Great Plains League in Chicago. 

DUBBALL15

Also, the ACBL in the Jersey/Eastern PA area too.  That's where Aidan Lucas played. 

Bishopleftiesdad

DU,
Does that go for your Freshman as well? (rising Sophmores)? Sound like the coaching staff is working hard?

Thanks

DUBBALL15

This year for Freshmen we are trying to get them into the NYCBL, also local leagues back home.  Possibly the cal ripken league for a MD kid.  A Penn league for a pitt kid.  Usually for upperclassmen we look at trying to get them into more of a premier league but Freshmen it is still a possibility depending on how they preform.   

DUBBALL15

Also the Mink league could be a good league too.  Based in Iowa/Nebraska we had 2 kids play out there last summer.  Good mix of D1 to D3. 

ILVBB

My son played 4-years at Trinity graduating last year. He played in three summer leagues; including Great Lakes (freshman summer), Atlantic (Sophomore) and New England (Junior). Each had there pluses and minuses; my advise is there are plenty of leagues which will take D3 players.

Go where you will play. He had more than one instance of coaches telling him that they had to give priority to the D1 players (not fun but it is reality). He had one instance where at the leagues all-star break he was 6th in the league in batting average and slugging % and did not make the all-star team because he was from a D3.

His team mates that went to some of the lesser known leagues that played more really benefited. What is important for the kids is to get placed, play ball and have a summer to remember.

Bishopleftiesdad

That is what I have believed at all levels. I have seen two many Kids who go to play on Elite summer teams because they are the best, that end up sitting on the bench and not get playing time. I never want my sons to be on teams that they meet either one of the extremes.

Best player on the team: Seen some kids never develop because they were always the best and never moved up to be challenges and never improved. Rather my sons be on a team were they pushe the better guys or have guys challenging them, were you need to improve or you don't get the playing time you would like.

Bottom of the roster: I have seen kids go play on teams based on the reputaion of it is the best team in the area. Many times the parents and the kids do not evaluate the talent on the team and fairly judge their kids ability to push the other kids on the team. I never felt my sons would get too much better sitting on the bench.

I would suppose of course that this applies to Summer leagues as well. Little harder to judge the rosters, but I want him to be able to challenge for playing time and face good competion.

Bishopleftiesdad

Thanks to FenwaySouth in the HSbaseballWeb http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886003481/m/3557009116

Here is a link that gives some stats on Talent Levels for the 2010 College Summer Leagues:

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/summertalent.html

This is from 2010 so some of this may no longer be acurrate. For example after 2010 7 teams split from the NYCBl to create their own league with Perfect Game. (PGCBL)

http://www.wellsvilledaily.com/sports/x2135344938/Addition-by-subtraction-NYCBL-goes-through-major-makeover

infielddad

We all come at the challenges of Summer leagues, for D3 players with different perspectives, for sure.
Personally, I think a player goes where he has to compete.
Many coaches at the D3 level will challenge their players to compete and challenge them to compete where others think they cannot because they are D3.  I think most players from D3 should know they are not guaranteed any playing time when they head into the  better Summer leagues.
They have to compete. 
If any D3 player wants to go where there is a guaranteed spot,  I wonder if they should aspire to the challenge of the best league and players like those in the Northwoods, NECBL, CPL, Valley and the like.
If a coach places his players there, he believes in them.
They still have to perform and exhibit everything about D3 that is so unique, in my judgement.
D3 coaches who know Summer leagues won't be sending players where they will drown, in my opinion.
Summer league GM's and coaches want to win. They might start a season thinking the D1 gives them the best opportunity to win.
Our experience is they make sure they play the 9 who prove they provide the best opportunity to win.
Winning comes from competing.
Summer league GM's and managers usually love D3 players who help them win.