Covid Impacts on Upcoming Season

Started by fishercats, May 19, 2020, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

Quote from: d4_Pace on May 27, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
I would say its equally sad for the seniors of every school in the country. Whatever their situation is they  have spent three years working towards the moment to finally lead their team. They've spent 15 plus years playing soccer and finally have one last go. 

Obviously, once again some perspective is required because not getting to play a season of a sport pales in comparison to what other people are going through. But I guess you say devastating I say heartbreaking, either way it sucks.

I think we're on the same page, including with the semantics.  I was only contesting the idea of heartbreaking (or devastating) being peculiar to Tufts.  You clarified that you meant or mean all teams.

I sincerely hope your med school is moving forward in a productive and reasonable way.  So many people have gotten caught and are in limbo.  My kid just made it under the wire to qualify as a 4th year for early graduation and is slotted to start internship/residency in Boston in a couple of weeks.  He's very lucky, although starting out residency in the middle of Covid will be interesting/challenging.  I feel for new 4th years who will have to navigate applying and interviewing for residency this Fall.  My son's wife was in the middle of her second year of PA school, and her program is on hold with no clear indications about when clinicals will resume and when she'll graduate (to help start paying off all of their debt).

Gregory Sager

One of my nephews started his residency this winter at a major hospital in upstate New York as an ER physician.

From what I hear, he's getting the kind of education via trial by fire that no young doctor ever expects to get.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

blooter442

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 27, 2020, 11:52:59 AM
One of my nephews started his residency this winter at a major hospital in upstate New York as an ER physician.

From what I hear, he's getting the kind of education via trial by fire that no young doctor ever expects to get.

I can imagine it's a heck of a time to be getting your chops in the ER — one of my good Brandeis friends is moving to Portland, ME (near me) soon to be a resident at Maine Medical Center. She just graduated from med school this spring...the adage "out of the frying pan, into the fire!" seems adept!

Hopkins92

Interesting conversation... A couple of points:

1) Perhaps this is obvious, but a number of D1 schools are stating that playing Fall sports is contingent on there being in-person/on-campus classes. Michigan is on record saying they won't play Fall sports if classes/activities are virtual. Just something to keep an eye on... Not sure how you have a season when individual schools are making individual decisions. I assume MI is talking to the rest of the conference, but who knows.

2) https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242902546.html  For short synopsis of that article: "Cutting sports like swimming and wrestling could cost a D1 school more money than it saves." There's obviously a lot more to the story, but I just wanted to challenge the idea that Athletic Department's are being straight about the economics of cutting programs. It's also quite annoying that these extremely bloated departments are paying a bunch of suits 6 figure salaries, while cutting programs.

/soap box

Ejay

Quote from: Hopkins92 on May 28, 2020, 12:34:42 PM
It's also quite annoying that these extremely bloated departments are paying a bunch of suits 6 figure salaries, while cutting programs.

Forget the 6-figure suits.  What about the 7-figure football coaches? The Purdue coach is the 8th highest paid college football coach in the country ($6.6 million), and they've had 1 winning season (7-6) in the last 8 years.

Hopkins92

I mean, I don't want to get completely side-tracked, but the idea that all of these adults get paid pretty obscene amounts of money and we're still pretending it's not a business that should compensate its employees is ridiculous. If all of these salaries and the TV money and the bowl game nonsense were on the more reasonable side (as it was up until around the mid-80s, it wouldn't be such a farce.

Also, quick update is that MI's provost came out today saying she is "very optimistic" that students will be back on campus in the fall. That's a pretty dramatic shift from "cautiously optimistic" from last week.

Ejay

a number of D1 schools are stating that playing Fall sports is contingent on there being in-person/on-campus classes.

Didn't the NCAA already say no students on campus = no sports? Or has that changed?

Hopkins92

Quote from: EB2319 on May 28, 2020, 03:27:10 PM
a number of D1 schools are stating that playing Fall sports is contingent on there being in-person/on-campus classes.

Didn't the NCAA already say no students on campus = no sports? Or has that changed?

Yeah, good clarification... I hadn't seen Emmert's statement until I googled it just now (not sure how I missed it.) I also kind of skimmed the first page that had a lot of info, so apologies if someone mentioned it here.

OldNed

1) Perhaps this is obvious, but a number of D1 schools are stating that playing Fall sports is contingent on there being in-person/on-campus classes. Michigan is on record saying they won't play Fall sports if classes/activities are virtual. Just something to keep an eye on... Not sure how you have a season when individual schools are making individual decisions. I assume MI is talking to the rest of the conference, but who knows.

2) https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242902546.html  For short synopsis of that article: "Cutting sports like swimming and wrestling could cost a D1 school more money than it saves." There's obviously a lot more to the story, but I just wanted to challenge the idea that Athletic Department's are being straight about the economics of cutting programs. It's also quite annoying that these extremely bloated departments are paying a bunch of suits 6 figure salaries, while cutting programs.

/soap box

Regarding point #1, my wife teaches for a D1 university and the preliminary word is that the students will be on campus in the Fall, although they are going to take steps to limit in-class attendance in the interests of social distancing.  Not sure how the heck that will work in the dorms, though...

Hopkins92

Quote from: OldNed on May 28, 2020, 07:29:09 PM

/soap box

Regarding point #1, my wife teaches for a D1 university and the preliminary word is that the students will be on campus in the Fall, although they are going to take steps to limit in-class attendance in the interests of social distancing.  Not sure how the heck that will work in the dorms, though...

I have two kids at D1 schools and there are number of scenarios being thrown out there. One scenario is that incoming freshmen and seniors will be on campus, and they will be single occupancy dorms and the overflow will be in nearby hotels. I *think* that's a scenario being discussed by MIT. Not sure, but I know I've read that as one option.

Another scenario I've heard is that students whose education relies on labs or other in-person would be on campus, while others would remain virtual in the Fall.

Lots of other things being floated, but those seemed interesting enough to share.

Flying Weasel

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-reduces-number-required-contests?fbclid=IwAR33TfULmAUlxw4j9M4GeBOSnDXXjJMD99O2l_Hgc5YKlUW6VCqaKKNQ5So

QuoteDIII reduces number of required contests
Minimums needed for championship selection and sports sponsorship lowered by
33% in all sports for the 2020-21 school year

May 29, 2020 3:09pm  |  Rachel Stern

The minimum number of contests required for sports sponsorship and championship selection in Division III have been reduced by 33% in all sports for the 2020-21 academic year.

The Division III Administrative Committee approved the reductions during a videoconference Thursday in response to recommendations from the Division III Membership and Championships Committees. The minimum number of required participants will stay the same.

"We hope that a reduction in contest minimums will provide flexibility to our member schools as they work to reopen during what is a very uncertain and complex time. We understand this won't fix everything for everyone, but we believe it is the right move at this time and we will remain flexible moving forward," said Tori Murden McClure, chair of the committee and Spalding president.

. . .

The committee noted that both the Membership and Championships Committees are committed to flexibility in making decisions in this rapidly changing climate. The intention right now is to conduct fall championships as scheduled.

. . .

Here are the revised sport-by-sport contest minimums for the 2020-21 academic year:
. . .
- Men's soccer: 9.
- Women's soccer: 9.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Move was to be expected across the board. It doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things other than institutions that may be struggling can hit lower numbers to still fall into compliance with the NCAA (their fellow members) and even qualify for the tournaments.

The maximums will likely not change, so teams are still able to play as many as their institution will allow.

I am hearing schools are starting to put restrictions in place like "non-conference games must be a same-day travel opponent." Meaning some will have far less options in terms of opponents including quality. That will have a larger impact on things.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Stryker

I agree. The reduction of minimum # of games to qualify for tournament play cuts both ways, allowing flexibility for some teams to be able to play while also narrowing the window to qualify. For example, there are competitive teams in strong conferences that rely on non-conference games against quality opponents to try to overcome the expected losses to the perennial powers in order to improve their chances to make the tournament. With travel limitations and other expected changes, that may no longer be possible. 9 games would basically be the conference schedule for my kid's team. Yes, they may be able to play some more games against some other local teams, but the quality may not be the same. That puts more emphasis on the league games.

Flying Weasel

I haven't been checking on other schools, but today Messiah University (not sure I'll ever get used to that) has announced that the Fall Semester will go forward with in-person instruction and on-campus housing available for all students.  In order to minimize travel and the potential to spread the virus, the semester will actually start one week earlier, will not include a fall break, and classes will conclude before Thanksgiving with finals being completed remotely after Thanksgiving.

Flying Weasel

If teams are restricted in their travel for away games (whether by their own school, or by their conference or the NCAA), given how Strength of Schedule works and factors into tournament selection, they would probably be better off in that respect to simply taking advantage of the reduction in required number of contests rather than playing week local competition to fill the schedule.