BB: South Region General Talk -- '07, '08, '09 and '10

Started by SamuelAdams, March 24, 2007, 10:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAdams

This may be early, but the South Region seems to be loaded with teams with great records so far. Six teams usually make regionals, but this year might spell otherwise because so many of the top teams in the country reside in the south. Some early records from the region...feel free to add or update.

THROUGH MARCH 24, 2007
Rhodes --- 22-4
Salisbury --- 19-3
Emory --- 18-3
Averett --- 27-6
Millsaps --- 18-6
Maryville --- 18-7
NC Wesleyan --- 19-11
Methodist --- 17-7
CNU --- 17-7
Wash & Lee --- 13-6
LaGrange --- 16-7
Virginia Wesleyan --- 14-7
Huntingdon --- 14-8
St. Mary's --- 13-8
Lynchburg --- 13-9
Greensboro --- 14-12
Ferrum --- 13-11
York --- 8-4

Ralph Turner

Samuel Adams, thanks for starting the thread.

That looks like a good list.  Would you be able to go back and find the "in-region records" for the first 6-10 teams?  The in-region record is an important criteria for the regional rankings which we will get in late April.

An in-region game has 4 components to its definition:

-- in conference.
-- in the South Evaluation Region.  (The 2007 Handbook is not out yet.  Here is the link to the 2006 Handbook.)
-- within a 200-mile radius.  (You can try msn.mappoint.com "Shortest Distance" for that.)
-- and new for 2006-07, within the Administrative Regions.  Region #1 is the New England 6, NJ, DE, DC, MD.  Region #2 is NY and PA.  Region #3 is VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, AR, TN KY, IN, MI, OH, WV.

Thanks.  I look forward to your list.  (One of the things that you fans can do it to try is to complie these data and other such content.  That is what has made the Football and Hoops boards so valuable.  If you have a question, then personal-message me or email me or even write the question on the message board.  Someone will be glad to help you learn the "ins-and-outs" of the NCAA.  We are all learning this stuff daily!  ;) )

One other thing...I have never had another fan flame me for a typo or data accumulation error when I have been compiling these lists.  I always appreciate a fan "proof-reading" or "double-checking" my work!

Thanking you in advance... :)

narch

i'll give you a hand with regional records - the monarchs are currently 11-6 in region

SamuelAdams

UPDATED THROUGH MARCH 25, 2007
(The best I could with info provided...change if need be...tough region)
Rhodes --- 24-4 --- 16-4 in Region
Salisbury --- 19-3 --- 5-1 in Region
Emory --- 19-3 --- 12-1 in Region
Averett --- 27-7 --- 16-7 in Region
Millsaps --- 19-6 --- 7-3 in Region
Maryville --- 19-7 --- 8-3 in Region
NC Wesleyan --- 20-11 --- 13-11 in Region
Methodist --- 18-7 --- 12-6 in Region
CNU --- 17-8 --- 13-7 in Region
Wash & Lee --- 13-6 --- 6-3 in Region
LaGrange --- 16-9 --- 11-9 in Region
Virginia Wesleyan --- 14-8 --- 11-5 in Region
Huntingdon --- 15-8 --- 8-7 in Region
St. Mary's --- 14-10 --- 2-3 in Region
Lynchburg --- 13-9 --- 7-7 in Region
Greensboro --- 16-12 --- 7-9 in Region
Ferrum --- 13-11 --- 11-8 in Region
York --- 10-4 --- 3-4 in Region

SamuelAdams

A bit early, but a shot in the dark at your 2007 South Region:

#1 - Emory
#2 - Salisbury
#3 - Millsaps
#4 - Rhodes
#5 - Ferrum
#6 - Methodist

h-sc bball

Samuel....did I miss something or did the NCAA boot this years ODAC conference champion out of the South Regional?

Hampden-Sydney Tigers
2005 ODAC Champions
2005 NCAA Division III South Regional Champions
2005 NCAA Division III World Series

Falcon2720

With the way the ODAC played this year against the USA South, I would not be surprised if they were booted out.

Then again, I would not be surprised if an ODAC team ends up winning the south regional :)

h-sc bball

falcon2720......I wish you wouldn't have said that....I was beamig with confidence after our last three games against the USA South, (NC Wesleyan, Ferrum, & Methodist)..... you just reminded me how inferior the top teams in the ODAC are against the all mighty USA South.....boy did you bust my bubble...... we don't stand a chance now do we ::)

Falcon2720

h-sc bball,

to answer your question, you don't have a shot.

you guys went 3-6 against the USA South.  More losses in 9 USA South match-ups then in 18 match-ups against ODAC teams.

You got swept by 5th place CNU.

You beat Averett by 1- AU pitchers only gave up one earned run.  Seems like they beat themselves.

You beat NCWC by 1- NCWC did not throw any of their top 4 pitchers (Rice, Roberson, Pearson, Moore).  NCWC was playing their 7th game in 7 days.  They also had a big series the next day against Ferrum, while you guys had a tough series against a (9-25) Roanoke team.

You beat Ferrum by 1 in extra innings.   You scored most of your runs against a pitcher with an ERA of 15.4 and who has thrown only 2 innings all year.

The ODAC is a combined (10 teams) W 152 and L 203 for a whopping .428 winning %.

The USA South is a combined (7 teams) W 176 and L 103 for a .631 winning %

The USA South owns the ODAC this year W50-L19 for a .725 winning %

Its obvious which conference is better.
I sure do love stats :)
Good luck in your tournament. 

A.G.

The team you need to fear if they make it is Lynchburg...more than held their own against the mighty golliaths from the USASAC.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: SamuelAdams on April 24, 2007, 08:22:22 PM

#1 - Emory
#2 - Salisbury
#3 - Millsaps
#4 - Rhodes
#5 - Ferrum
#6 - Methodist

I expect Millsaps would end up in the Central to make way for the ODAC Champion.

Falcon2720

Hornets19,

Lynchburg and VWC seemed to be the only teams that held their own against the USA-South

narch

Quote from: Hornets19 on April 25, 2007, 11:05:42 AM
The team you need to fear if they make it is Lynchburg...more than held their own against the mighty golliaths from the USASAC.
they need to get in the regional before anyone fears them...although they are a very solid team

Spence

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 25, 2007, 11:30:48 AM
Quote from: SamuelAdams on April 24, 2007, 08:22:22 PM

#1 - Emory
#2 - Salisbury
#3 - Millsaps
#4 - Rhodes
#5 - Ferrum
#6 - Methodist

I expect Millsaps would end up in the Central to make way for the ODAC Champion.

Could happen.

Could see Chapman, Pac Lu, George Fox, the ASC champion, the SLIAC champion and Millsaps or Rhodes in a Texas-based tournament (I think both have a shot to get in right now). I just think with the NEAC and NAC getting automatic bids and the number of teams that look like potential regional teams in the South, that everything's going to flow east. I think the SLIAC champion could get shipped just to try to balance things out a little bit. I would also imagine there's some forward momentum to have the regional somewhere other than Hart Park.

The glut of teams in the country's northeast is going to have to go somewhere, either south or west. Either way, some folks are getting displaced somewhere.

Spence

FYI, Villa Julie has an automatic bid into the regional and is a South Region team.