MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Day to be a Royal

I have to say for first time in a long time I am impressed with the NC schedule. A potential 2nd rd match-up with Swarthmore is very exciting.
   The DSU game could be tough as well as Arcadia which is not an easy win. The December stretch of opening conf play at Cath, then F&M, PSU-H, and Cabrini will show how good the team is. Don't overlook Cortland either.

The Kings and Wilkes games never excited me after leaving MAC, but they fill a schedule.

ronk

Quote from: Great Day to be a Royal on July 12, 2021, 02:26:20 PM
   I have to say for first time in a long time I am impressed with the NC schedule. A potential 2nd rd match-up with Swarthmore is very exciting.
   The DSU game could be tough as well as Arcadia which is not an easy win. The December stretch of opening conf play at Cath, then F&M, PSU-H, and Cabrini will show how good the team is. Don't overlook Cortland either.

The Kings and Wilkes games never excited me after leaving MAC, but they fill a schedule.

You evidently never experienced 4000 watching a Kings-Scranton game @ the former CYC or the over flow crowd(including Scranton Police SWAT team) that couldn't get into the 1st encounter in the newly-opened Long Center. There was such high interest in the game back then that dozens of Kings students made it a tradition of walking 18 miles from Wilkes-Barre and bursting into the pregame warmup activity each year. Just a rant of the way things used to be.   :( 

NJRoyal137

Quote from: ronk on July 12, 2021, 03:05:46 PM

You evidently never experienced 4000 watching a Kings-Scranton game @ the former CYC or the over flow crowd(including Scranton Police SWAT team) that couldn't get into the 1st encounter in the newly-opened Long Center. There was such high interest in the game back then that dozens of Kings students made it a tradition of walking 18 miles from Wilkes-Barre and bursting into the pregame warmup activity each year. Just a rant of the way things used to be.   :(

maybe an investment in athletics marketing + student engagement can return under the new president?

NEPAFAN

Nice....now can we get the long center packed for a good opening weekend tournament?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

I wouldn't hold my breath on anything wonderous coming from the new President's leadership as he's already been quoted that he's "not much of a sports fan".
There has to be pressure put on to market and advertise the product.
Jeez, take out a billboard along Rt. 81 showing the upcoming home schedule along with pics of the men & women stars...Pride, Passion, Tradition...UofS Basketball 2021/22.
Something.....Anything.
As you head into Philly, Villanova, Penn & St. Joe's all have advertising for their basketball programs.
Let's take the lead on this & not wait for another local school to do it first.
And, since we're talking marketing...could someone in the AD Dept. get a contract with a serious professional photographer so we don't have members of the department running around taking pictures of athletic events with a 2008 flip-phone?
Pictures of the recent showcase are horrible.

Great Day to be a Royal

You are right, I was not there for games like that. I went through when still a good rivalry bc fighting for conf title with those schools. Once playing them both two, even three times a season was gone with Landmark switch, that died out. No one cares anymore about a NC tilt with them anymore.

ronk

Riley Hayes of Catholic is on the D3 team in the TBT tourney that starts tomorrow; wondering if Matt Mancuso of Scranton tried out for the team - he would seem to have enough game to contribute the team.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Great Day to be a Royal on July 15, 2021, 08:04:05 AM

You are right, I was not there for games like that. I went through when still a good rivalry bc fighting for conf title with those schools. Once playing them both two, even three times a season was gone with Landmark switch, that died out. No one cares anymore about a NC tilt with them anymore.

So again we are preaching to the choir here, and I doubt anyone from the University is reading this, but Bob Bessoir really deserves a night to honor him at the Long Center. Put something nice together and make it all about Bess ( like you know he would love), pack the place... do it right.

Wilkes or F&M game would make the most sense to do this..Dean Corwin might be the most likley advocate for us...
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on July 12, 2021, 07:58:39 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on anything wonderous coming from the new President's leadership as he's already been quoted that he's "not much of a sports fan".
There has to be pressure put on to market and advertise the product.
Jeez, take out a billboard along Rt. 81 showing the upcoming home schedule along with pics of the men & women stars...Pride, Passion, Tradition...UofS Basketball 2021/22.
Something.....Anything.
As you head into Philly, Villanova, Penn & St. Joe's all have advertising for their basketball programs.
Let's take the lead on this & not wait for another local school to do it first.
And, since we're talking marketing...could someone in the AD Dept. get a contract with a serious professional photographer so we don't have members of the department running around taking pictures of athletic events with a 2008 flip-phone?
Pictures of the recent showcase are horrible.

Joyce Advertising donated to the Carlesimo Golf Event...seems like that might be an avenue for a billboard.

Joyce Outdoor Billboard
$700current bid6 Bids
Want to place a bid?

Already have an account?0 Watchers
4-week billboard space, August 13-September 9, 2021, located near Davis Street exit on Interstate 81.

Donated By Joyce Outdoor Advertising
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Well, perhaps I should direct our yearly donation to the women's program for that specific purpose?
I mean just a little imagination can go a long way at this point.

ronk

Tweet from Scranton bball that Logan Bailey will be playing next in England for Nottingham. Happy for the 2 1/2 years that we had to watch him.

Tim the Enchanter

Congrats to him on this great opportunity to continue his playing and studies!

NEPAFAN

Article about Bailey in the Scranton Times today, but it is behind the paywall.
Vince Lombardi

NEPAFAN

Indeed. Kudos to him. I wonder what this means long term...

Also kudos to the Administration for creating the position.
Vince Lombardi