2020 NCAA Tournament

Started by fantastic50, April 24, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantastic50

This morning, we get the expected announcement that the 2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Championships for all three divisions will be played in Atlanta, in the same weekend.  The same will be true in Dallas in 2023.

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/1121074194731753478

Presumably, eight teams will go to Fort Wayne for the sectional finals and national semifinals.  It remains to be seen how the timing and format will change, given that the championship will be played two weeks later than usual.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: fantastic50 on April 24, 2019, 11:50:47 AM
This morning, we get the expected announcement that the 2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Championships for all three divisions will be played in Atlanta, in the same weekend.  The same will be true in Dallas in 2023.

Presumably, eight teams will go to Fort Wayne for the sectional finals and national semifinals.  It remains to be seen how the timing and format will change, given that the championship will be played two weeks later than usual.

From the Tweet by the NCAA - just to clarify - 2020 is only for the men and 2023 is only for the women.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Greek Tragedy

Although I won't be able to see the Championship game, it's exciting to know I'll be able to see SIX games instead of 3 (four, if you count the All-Star game). Will there be an all-star game that weekend? I don't recall what happened last time the Championship game was in Atlanta...barring any unforeseen circumstances for my family, like this past tournament  :'(  :-[
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

fantastic50

Thank you for pointing this out...I have now edited the post accordingly.

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on April 24, 2019, 01:38:20 PM
Quote from: fantastic50 on April 24, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

From the Tweet by the NCAA - just to clarify - 2020 is only for the men and 2023 is only for the women.

Inkblot

Will the early rounds be spread out like in 2013?
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Greek Tragedy

I'm assuming there will be a two-week gap between the semis and the championship game. I hope not though. I wouldn't be opposed to having one round a weekend just so we don't have that gap, but I'm sure that could cost a lot more money in regards to island teams advancing.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Why not do a logical thing (and save the NCAA a bunch of money) and just have the season finish a bit later so the regular tournament format can still exist? Have round 1 on the first weekend (when it's easiest to get teams within 500 miles), rounds 2 and 3 on the 2nd weekend, rounds 4 and 5 the 3rd weekend in Fort Wayne, and championship the 4th weekend.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Greek Tragedy

I'm guessing the regular season dates are already set. I'm sure many schedules are mostly, if not completely, finished. You could probably get away with single rounds the first three weekends and then the Elite 8 in Fort Wayne the 4th weekend and the championship the 5th weekend in Atlanta. I just don't like that two-week gap. Stretch out the NCAA tournament.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

FCGrizzliesGrad

It wouldn't be too difficult for most conferences (except the conferences like UAA which have travel partners and such) to just take a couple mid-week conference games and move them to the end of the season. In the HCAC for example, just take one or two of the Wednesday slates and move them to a Saturday at the end. It would have the added benefit of less missed class time.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They have no choice on the men's side but go with a two week gap between semis and championship. Fort Wayne is scheduled to host the Sweet 16/Elite 8 in NCAA D1 women's basketball the following weekend - so they have NO ability to move (Salem moved a weekend, but still had a gap because we had funky calendar like this past season).

The men's committee will either have to go with a single game on the opening weekend followed by two (second and third rounds) and then Sweet 16 and Elite 8 ... or go 2-1-2. Personally, I like the 2-1-2 model (really 2-1-2-1 with the title game being on the end). I have not asked the committee nor do I expect they have decided as of yet. That will probably happen at their end of season meetings (which are around now) or maybe over the summer/beginning of next academic year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on April 25, 2019, 11:46:38 AM
Why not do a logical thing (and save the NCAA a bunch of money) and just have the season finish a bit later so the regular tournament format can still exist? Have round 1 on the first weekend (when it's easiest to get teams within 500 miles), rounds 2 and 3 on the 2nd weekend, rounds 4 and 5 the 3rd weekend in Fort Wayne, and championship the 4th weekend.

I have made this argument before, but you have to then also start the season a week later as well. There is no appetite for "extending" beyond the "19 weeks" the season is already allotted (from practices to start to things end). We asked this question six years ago as well and when the women had their title game in Indy.

As for the last part about Fort Wayne ... see my previous post. And based on that fact (Fort Wayne not able to move their dates), extending the season won't work anyway.

Also, I think it is less of a challenge in this format where the tournament stretches out over five weeks versus the issue six years ago when it stretched out over six weeks.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

KnightSlappy

I think I agree with Dave. 2-1-2-1 would be better for bracket diversity than 1-2-2-1.

The former allows the committee to mix up the regions and get creative with near-1,000 mile matchups depending on the location of the host seed. The latter would force just about every first-round matchup to be between teams within the 500 mile halo.

AO

Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 25, 2019, 01:49:56 PM
I think I agree with Dave. 2-1-2-1 would be better for bracket diversity than 1-2-2-1.

The former allows the committee to mix up the regions and get creative with near-1,000 mile matchups depending on the location of the host seed. The latter would force just about every first-round matchup to be between teams within the 500 mile halo.
Less diversity, but more teams get to host, better rivalries and higher attendance.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AO on April 26, 2019, 03:49:21 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 25, 2019, 01:49:56 PM

Less diversity, but more teams get to host, better rivalries and higher attendance.

Seems to me that if we want to be accurate and not confuse anybody who is reading this board, we should be referring to these two alternatives as 2-1-2-0-1 and 1-2-2-0-1.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiko

The basic rule of thumb on this is that every time there is a '1' in early rounds, the bracket gets really regional, and every time there is a '2' or other crooked number, there are more options to get creative with the bracket.

2-1-2-0-1 is >>>>>>> preferable than 1-2-2-0-1 from this standpoint.