Covid Impact on Conference Scheduling

Started by hopefan, July 22, 2020, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on July 29, 2020, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 29, 2020, 10:24:44 AM
Quote from: PauldingLightUP on July 29, 2020, 08:55:40 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 28, 2020, 05:57:35 PM
The WIAC canceled all sports for the Fall Semester.

I have not seen that Greek. Source?

How could you miss it? It's the lead story on the WIAC website.

Here it is:

https://wiacsports.com/news/2020/7/27/general-wiac-fall-statement-on-covid-19.aspx

Yes I did read that on Monday. But, the WIAC, in that release, has only canceled fall sports, not all sports in the fall semester. Winter sports in the fall semester still on for now in the WIAC.

Good point. That's an important distinction.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 29, 2020, 05:09:41 PM
Missouri is the real outlier, though. It's hard to explain why the sport is played so widely across the Show Me State.

If only we could click the karma button more than once per day... 

As for Missouri in general and St. Louis in particular, I do think it goes back to St. Louis and the development of all-girls Catholic schools in the 19th century.

Incidentally, Washington University and Saint Louis University, among other local institutions, were playing Women's Field Hockey back in the early of the 20th century, before they had dedicated varsity Women's programs.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on July 29, 2020, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 29, 2020, 05:09:41 PM
Missouri is the real outlier, though. It's hard to explain why the sport is played so widely across the Show Me State.

If only we could click the karma button more than once per day... 

My goofing off at work today was not in vain. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jmcozenlaw

Given how spot on this expert was PRIOR TO THE END OF JANUARY, he has been my go to pro (not in an anti-Fauci way..........but Fauci is playing AA ball compared to this cat!!) THIS article is sobering and it's what I've been saying all along about the effectiveness of a vaccine on top of how many people will NOT ever get inoculated. Depressing as hell!!!:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/osterholm-americans-will-be-living-with-the-coronavirus-for-decades-2020-07-30?mod=home-page

y_jack_lok

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 30, 2020, 02:26:07 PM
Given how spot on this expert was PRIOR TO THE END OF JANUARY, he has been my go to pro (not in an anti-Fauci way..........but Fauci is playing AA ball compared to this cat!!) THIS article is sobering and it's what I've been saying all along about the effectiveness of a vaccine on top of how many people will NOT ever get inoculated. Depressing as hell!!!:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/osterholm-americans-will-be-living-with-the-coronavirus-for-decades-2020-07-30?mod=home-page

That was helpful to read. Discouraging, but helpful nevertheless. Thanks for posting it.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: y_jack_lok on July 31, 2020, 11:23:22 AM

That was helpful to read. Discouraging, but helpful nevertheless. Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! i don't want to be the "doomsday" person on the boards, but I also am seeing more and more of this type of information

I'd rather plan for the worst case scenario................while hoping and praying for the best.

y_jack_lok

^^^ You are not being a doomsday person -- just realistic.

If we are going to see the return of sports (and many of the other things that were once normal), then everybody in the country will need to take the virus seriously and adapt their behavior and habits to limit the opportunities for it to spread uncontrolled. This thing is a serious challenge which, because you can't see it, causes people to think it isn't there -- until they get it.

The epidemiologist interviewed in that piece said: "We will be dealing with this virus forever. Effective and safe vaccines and hopefully ones with some durability will be very important, even critical tools, in fighting it. But the whole world is going to be experiencing COVID-19 'til the end of time. We're not going to be vaccinating our way out of this to eight-plus billion people in the world right now. And if we don't get durable immunity, we're potentially looking at revaccination on a routine basis, if we can do that. We've really got to come to grips with actually living with this virus, for at least my lifetime, and at the same time, it doesn't mean we can't do a lot about it."

While it would be nice if he is wrong, we should right now be acting as if he is right.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

He's got a point ... here is where I make my only real flu comparison: the flu isn't going away. It will be with us until the end of time. Same with the common cold and other things. We have ways to battle those from vaccines to anti-virals and anything else that might work. We have nothing for COVID right now and we need to bridge the gap until we do. If we keep acting like morons (and I'm being generic per "we"), then we do more harm until that gap is closed. We need to be smart and work our way through this ... and many are not being smart. They are being, as Ryan Scott said elsewhere, "lazy."

I can't wait until people start complaining that their college football and pro sports aren't on TV or they can't go to the game. Or their kids aren't in school. And it's revealed they are one of those who thinks masks are a right that shouldn't be trampled on (let's not even get into how many things they do for health and safety that are mandated) ... they are the ones who have put themselves and all of us in this situation. We could have nipped this in the butt and at least lessened the transmission, but ... we were lazy.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jamtod

Lazy is an extremely charitable description of what's going on.

WUPHF

Being smart and working our way through this, in light of the probability of an endemic Covid-19, means what?

I ask as someone who has worn a mask everywhere I go since the Washington University-North Central game was cancelled, but also as someone deeply concerned that we are throwing our economic and social life off a cliff.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The cliff is a lot steeper and more problematic if we don't get ahold of things ...
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Maybe it is rhetorical and I should not expect anyone here to have to answer it, but it is not clear how we get a hold of things if it is not going away.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 31, 2020, 09:28:03 PM

You're welcome! i don't want to be the "doomsday" person on the boards, but I also am seeing more and more of this type of information

I'd rather plan for the worst case scenario................while hoping and praying for the best.

Who the doomsday person is apparently depends on who you ask.  ;D ;D
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 01, 2020, 06:10:51 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 31, 2020, 09:28:03 PM

Who the doomsday person is apparently depends on who you ask.  ;D ;D

Nice!!!!!!! ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 01, 2020, 01:24:18 PM
He's got a point ... here is where I make my only real flu comparison: the flu isn't going away. It will be with us until the end of time. Same with the common cold and other things. We have ways to battle those from vaccines to anti-virals and anything else that might work. We have nothing for COVID right now and we need to bridge the gap until we do. If we keep acting like morons (and I'm being generic per "we"), then we do more harm until that gap is closed. We need to be smart and work our way through this ... and many are not being smart. They are being, as Ryan Scott said elsewhere, "lazy."

I can't wait until people start complaining that their college football and pro sports aren't on TV or they can't go to the game. Or their kids aren't in school. And it's revealed they are one of those who thinks masks are a right that shouldn't be trampled on (let's not even get into how many things they do for health and safety that are mandated) ... they are the ones who have put themselves and all of us in this situation. We could have nipped this in the butt and at least lessened the transmission, but ... we were lazy.

Spot on Dave!!