BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gccfan

Anybody think that UT-Tyler can go through the season undefeated?  I don't think it will happen, but it is definitely an interesting story line to keep track of.  Their series with UT-Dallas should be very exciting.

Ralph Turner

gccfan, who else on the East is having a good year?

Right now, who are your Top 4 for the tourney, aside from UT-Tyler?

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 27, 2007, 05:20:05 PM
gccfan, who else on the East is having a good year?

Right now, who are your Top 4 for the tourney, aside from UT-Tyler?

Didn't ask me, but I'll bite.

The East only has seven teams and with UT Tyler not eligible you're looking at 4 teams of the 6 making it.  Mississippi College isn't playing well, but there's no way that I think they finish below LeTourneau or East Texas Baptist.  LeTourneau's improving and ETBU lost a lot of good players with the ordeal they had last year.

I'll say #1 UT Dallas, #2 La College, #3 Ozarks (surprise), #4 Mississippi College. In the West I never thought I would say that Hardin Simmons wasn't going to make it but they've certainly dug themselves quite a hole and their pitching is a lot weaker than I thought it would be. I'll go with #1. Texas Lutheran, #2 McMurry, #3 Concordia-Austin, #4 Mary-Hardin Baylor.

Some_Guy

BigPoppa

Is there any trugh to the rumor that Denver is joining the ASC? I cannot even imagine the travel involved in that roap trip.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Spence

University of Denver?

Wow, I don't know anything inside but I'd be very surprised, considering they just hired Princeton's basketball coach, albeit a possibly about to be canned one.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 28, 2007, 11:07:39 AM
Is there any trugh to the rumor that Denver is joining the ASC? I cannot even imagine the travel involved in that roap trip.
I have not heard anything of the like.

University of Denver is a D1 school that won the Frozen Four in 2005.

Ralph Turner

The only UD down here is University of Dallas.  They left the ASC in 2001.

It will take a major re-assessment by UDallas to re-join the ASC.  The completion of the expansion by the SCAC to its current 12-team alignment must have had significant impact inside the UD brain trust.

UDallas added a Phi Beta Kappa chapter, was unable to add club football in 2003, earned a Pool B in basketball in 2004, added women's lacrosse in 2006 and since has tried to raise the profile of its sports.

I am certain that they do not want to go against UT-Tyler in a conference.

gccfan

Ralph, my top four would be the same as Just Some Guy's.  I would like to think that LeTourneau could sneak in, but they just are not deep enough and I just don't know if they can take 2-of-3 from anyone other than ETBU which is what they would need to do to make it.  I like LC better than ozarks because of Grant Wilson.  He is going to beat most teams.  I have not really followed the West much this year and the only team I saw was Howard Payne who I wasn't realy impressed with.

As far as Dallas rejoining, I really don't see that happening unless they would get a new athletic director. 

gccfan

I have another question?  If UTT was eligible, where do you all think they would be ranked?  I would say they couldn't be lower than 4th right now.

Ralph Turner

McM 8

UMHB 4-7-2; (2 doubles)

Nick Schafer gets the compete game (7 innings).  Schafer gave up 4 runs in the first inning and then held the Cru scoreless for the rest of the game.  McM scored 6 in the 6th.

Chase Beyrand gets the loss in relief.

Ralph Turner

UMHB 15, McM 8;  UMHB scores 12 unanswered runs.

Zack Tumlinson gets the win in relief.

Game 3 tomorrow.

gccfan

A change in the LeTourneau schedule.  Their schedule originally had them playing Ozarks Friday and Saturday.  They will be playing on Thursday at 2 and Friday at noon instead.

Ralph Turner

Texas Wesleyan breaks a 5-5 tie in the top of the 9th to take a 7-5 win.

McMurry goes to the deep bullpen for the game, having played a critical 3-game series against UMHB on Sunday and Monday.  Coach Driggers used 5 pitchers who had only 15 appearances in the previous 28 games.

Texas Wesleyan used 3 pitchers who had 45 innings in 31 appearances this year.  Hayden Lackey picked up his 9th save of the year for the Rams.

McMurry has a 3-game series with Schreiner on Thursday and Friday.

TWU improves to 24-4 on the season.

CUAfan

Inspired by a discussion as to awards being given due to merit or team perception from the beginning of the season, I did a little study to see who the most productive pitcher has been in the ASC this season. I ranked all pitchers with more than 40 IP (had to put some limit in, and it seemed reasonable) in the following categories: ERA, K/9, BB/9, K/BB ratio, and HR/9. This was in order to avoid as much as possible the effect defense has on a lot of pitching stats. Points were awarded as 21 (the number of pitchers) for first, 20 for second, etc. Total points determined the rank. Here's the top 5 from each division, with name, team, points, and innings pitched. I'll message the whole list to anyone interested. Oh, and no HPU or SU pitchers were involved as I couldn't get HR info for their pitchers.

EAST
1) R. Campbell, UTT - 100 (51.2)
2) S. Ashley, MC - 86 (49.1)
3) G. Wilson, LC - 78 (45.2)
4) M. Cox, UTD - 63 (49.2)
5) D. Waggoner - 62 (40.0)

WEST
1) J. Miller, CUA - 88 (60.0 - leads ASC)
2) C. Johnston, MCM - 86 (45.2)
3) C. Curry, MCM - 67 (50.2)
4) S. Szkotak, CUA - 66 (55.1)
5) D. Besa, TLU - 54 (45.2)
Let's go 'Nados!

Spence

Great stuff! +K

The way you did it, I'm not sure I would have included ERA at all. But it's probably fine. Did K/BB ratio end up looking much the same as a combination of the K/9 and BB/9 would have?

Keep in mind that the pitchers didn't face the same schedules...but nonetheless this is awesome work.