BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Just_Some_Guy

Lot of shake ups on the West side of the ASC this Thursday.  Schreiner and Hardin-Simmons do their best to keep themselves in the playoff picture. The current #2, #3, and #4 seeds all dropped games today.

Texas Lutheran def. Mary-Hardin Baylor
Schreiner taking two from McMurry
Hardin-Simmons def. Concordia

Any predictions on how the west shakes out Ralph?

In other ASC news UT Tyler remains undefeated shutting out a team averaging what (ten runs per game?) Also. There seems to be an all out battle for those #3 and #4 seeds in the East with LeTourneau taking a game from Ozarks.

Just_Some_Guy

Looking at the schedules, I'm not sure that I completely count out Hardin-Simmons yet. If they take another from Concordia tomorrow their final two series are Howard Payne and Sul Ross and it's POSSIBLE they could sweep those two series. Concordia on the other hand has McMurry and a scrappy UMHB team.  It's been fun watching this year with both UMHB and Schreiner being much improved teams and really helping to shake things up in the West. On the last weekend, Concordia vs. UMHB cold have HUGE playoff implications.

Ralph Turner

McMurry's Nick Schafer played stopper today.

He gave up one run in 7 innings.  Curry came in to relieve in the bottom of the 8th, trailing 4-1 and got the last 6 outs.  McMurry scored its 5th run in the top of the 9th.

Altho' the box score is a little messed up, why doesn't Curry get a save for coming into a 4-1 game and pitching the last 6 outs of scoreless ball?

Final score: McM 5, Schreiner 1.

McM is now 9-6 in the West.

Schreiner is 6-9.

CUA is 8-7 thru the first game; HSU is 7-7.

I have no predictions!  Those 2 one-run losses really hurt McMurry!

Ralph Turner

HSU picks up the first game vs CUA 6-3.

HSU 15-4 in the nightcap for the sweep!

Ralph Turner

UMHB 6-0, TLU 1-10.  TLU wins the series 2 games to one on the split DH.

TLU is 12-2*.  they travel to SRSU next weekend and finish hosting Schreiner.
MHB is 10-5 and (errata) does not own the tie-breaker over McMurry. They host Schreiner and then go to CUA.  (Own tie-breakers: HPU, SRSU, HSU)
McM is 9-6 and host CUA then finish at HPU. (Tie breakers: HSU, SRSU, UMHB)
CUA is 8-7 and go to McMurry then host UMHB. (Tie-breakers: HPU, SRSU, Schr)
HSU is 7-7* and host HPU before going to SRSU. (Tie-breaker: CUA)
Schr is 6-9 and hosts UMHB and TLU.  They must run the table. (Tie-breaker: McM)

Remember the TLU at HSU rain-out!

Let me think about this one!  :-\ ???

Spence

Hardin-Simmons is looking to be in a pretty good spot there.

Just_Some_Guy

I think 12 wins might end up being the magic number in the West. I think CUA is the team in the most trouble right now. I feel like Schreiner could steal one from TLU, but that they the likelihood of them (TLU) not getting 16 conference wins is VERY slim... they're in. I have to believe that HSU wins at least 5 of their remainding six and finishes 12-8. I think UMHB's sweep of HSU will get them in. Even if they only win 3 of their remaining 6 they're 13-8 which should be fine. I don't believe McMurry will do any worse than splitting their remaining 6 either leaving them at 12-9. CUA has a tough McMurry team on the road before hosting a pretty offensively talented UMHB team. (Speaking of which, why didn't Pearce throw this weekend?) If Concordia splits, 11-10 won't get them in.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on April 07, 2007, 01:07:59 AM
I think 12 wins might end up being the magic number in the West. I think CUA is the team in the most trouble right now. I feel like Schreiner could steal one from TLU, but that they the likelihood of them (TLU) not getting 16 conference wins is VERY slim... they're in. I have to believe that HSU wins at least 5 of their remainding six and finishes 12-8. I think UMHB's sweep of HSU will get them in. Even if they only win 3 of their remaining 6 they're 13-8 which should be fine. I don't believe McMurry will do any worse than splitting their remaining 6 either leaving them at 12-9. CUA has a tough McMurry team on the road before hosting a pretty offensively talented UMHB team. (Speaking of which, why didn't Pearce throw this weekend?) If Concordia splits, 11-10 won't get them in.

I think that you are right about 12 wins.

McMurry is fighting to host the first round!  With UMHB owning the tie-breaker, they are effectively 1 1/2 games behind UMHB.    MY Bad!  McMurry won the UMHB series 2 games to 1.  Therefore, UMHB is only a "3/4" game lead of McMurry.  :)

Just_Some_Guy

With only two series left who is beginning to emerge as the ASC Player of the Year? Pitcher of the Year?

Recall that Preseason was Brad Coleman (HSU) and Dalton Rucker (HSU) for the West and Clay Copeland (UTT) and Andrew Cantrell (ETBU).

I'll toss some names out to get some discussion going. Quite a few more than I would probably legitimately consider, but figured it wouldn't hurt to spark the dicussion and see if we couldn't get most of the teams represented in some fashion.

Player EAST:
SS Kendall Fox (UTT)
1B Brett Amyx (UTT)
2B Brett Rosen (UTD)
CF Mitch Elliott (UTD)
SS Jody Britt (MISS)
OF John Glenn (Ozarks)

Pitcher EAST:
I guess you could mention Finnell (Ozarks) and G. Wilson (La College) here, but I don't know that you could justify not picking either SP Ryan Campbell (UTT) or RP Nate Jennings (UTT)

Player WEST:
DH Taylor Gibbs (HSU)
OF Michael Simpson (HSU)
SS Jacob Kaase (TLU)
1B Brent Vorhees (McM)
2B Weston Franco (McM)
OF Jeremiah Kester (Schreiner)
1B Steven Reinlie (UMHB)
OF Joseph Villegas (UMHB)
C/2B Adam Froeschl (UMHB)

Pitcher WEST:
Daniel Besa (TLU)
Robert Conley (TLU)
Adam Enloe (TLU)
Colton Hermes (Schreiner)
Nick Schaffer (McM)
Jonathon Miller (CUA)
Matt Aubry (CUA)

Some_Guy

tloc14

UT-TYler swept UTD this last weekend, and all the games were won rather handily.  THe final game was 11-8, but was never as close as the score indicates.

Watch out for UTT next season, i know they have quite a few seniors this year but they will reload.  Pay attention, if u look at their roster, to how many players are transfers from junior colleges.  Juco talent can come in and fill some holes in a big hurry, and Vilade is good at getting that type of player.

Also, on a little side note I have noticed that 85-90% of the players for UTT come from the dallas metroplex area.  Obviously there is talent abound in a city that large in Texas, but all these guys coming out to Tyler to play baseball has to be upsetting and disheartening for Dallas area D3 schools like UTD, and UDallas.  Id imagine that they are tired of hearing "Sorry coach, but I've already committed to play for UTTyler next season."

Remaining conference schedule for UTT is 3 vs LeTU and 3 vs LC.  WIth the weak nonconference schedule, there is a good chance that UTTyler can finish the season undefeated.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tloc14 on April 09, 2007, 01:28:41 AM
Also, on a little side note I have noticed that 85-90% of the players for UTT come from the dallas metroplex area.  Obviously there is talent abound in a city that large in Texas, but all these guys coming out to Tyler to play baseball has to be upsetting and disheartening for Dallas area D3 schools like UTD, and UDallas.  Id imagine that they are tired of hearing "Sorry coach, but I've already committed to play for UTTyler next season."
tloc, you bring up several comments in that post.

Yes there is talent in Dallas, but the need only to find the best 6-8 baseball players per year is all that UT-Tyler seeks.

There is a big difference between UT-Dallas and UT-Tyler.

There used to be an old Texas joke that a student flunked out of school A and enrolled in school B and raised the academic standing in both schools.  It is not too preposterous to apply that to UT-Dallas and UT-Tyler.

The questions about Tyler include:

what is the nature of their financial aid profiles?  Is the "state money" making it prohibitive to recruit against UT-Tyler?

how do the admission profiles compare between UT-Tyler and the other members of the ASC?

what is the financial commitment from the UT system to UT-Tyler?  Does it match the mission and vision of the ASC?  Or is it more like UT-Permian Basin or schools in the Texas A&M System like Commerce, Kingsville and West Texas A&M?

There is a huge difference between UDallas, a "Catholic University for Independent Thinkers" with its Phi Beta Kappa Chapter and liberal arts curriculum, and UT-Tyler.

tloc14

definately a huge difference in the admissions standards between UDallas and UTT, there is no questioning that.  UTD and UTT are similar.  UTD is more an engineering school whereas UTT is more nursing and business.  I think that UTD has slightly stricter academic standards and may be a more difficult school, but it isnt by much.  Its certainly not like comparing UD and UTT, thats for sure.

Differences aside, i know that these schools recruit the same type of players.  The fact that there is alot of competition between them and that one school seems to get a majority of those players still has to be frustrating to the other coaches.  Thats all im really saying.   Upon rechecking the roster i found that my "85-90%" was way off.  Its more like 80% of the starters.

Spence

UT Dallas
25th percentile -- SAT math 590, SAT critical reading 550, ACT comp 24
75th percentile -- SAT math 690, SAT critical reading 670, ACT comp 29

UT Tyler
25th percentile -- SAT math 480, SAT critical reading 470, ACT comp 20
75th percentile -- SAT math 580, SAT critical reading 570, ACT comp 25

University of Dallas
25th percentile -- SAT math 540, SAT critical reading 560, ACT comp 24
75th percentile -- SAT math 650, SAT critical reading 690, ACT comp 29

A darned useful site for this sort of thing...
http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/cool/

I just looked these up...I didn't have any idea about any of the schools.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Spence on April 10, 2007, 07:52:34 AM
UT Dallas
25th percentile -- SAT math 590, SAT critical reading 550, ACT comp 24
75th percentile -- SAT math 690, SAT critical reading 670, ACT comp 29

UT Tyler
25th percentile -- SAT math 480, SAT critical reading 470, ACT comp 20
75th percentile -- SAT math 580, SAT critical reading 570, ACT comp 25

University of Dallas
25th percentile -- SAT math 540, SAT critical reading 560, ACT comp 24
75th percentile -- SAT math 650, SAT critical reading 690, ACT comp 29

A darned useful site for this sort of thing...
http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/cool/

I just looked these up...I didn't have any idea about any of the schools.
Thanks, Spence. +1 for the reference!

If that means that a student can be in the top one-quarter of the class at UT-Tyler versus the bottom one-quarter of the class at UT-Dallas or UDallas, then that difference is very big in terms of the academic aid program that the student-athlete can get relative to his/her peers.  Perhaps he/she is getting an "academic" scholarship that defers much of the tuition at UT-Tyler.  UT-Dallas cannot do that.  Coach Vilade is certainly a veteran at identifying students whose testing criteria fit nicely into those parameters and have an 88-92 MPH fast ball and .425 high school batting average as well.