BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsc

April 10 final.

Texas Tech  17

HSU   6

Long time since the Cowboys and Red Raiders tangled.  (Both teams had "rain-outs" so decided to play each other.)  Keeping in shape for the Yellow Jackets.   ;D
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

gccfan

Without having seen UTT or UTD this year I can really only talk about the Best of the Rest in the East.  LC's Grant Wilson was the best pitcher I saw, definitely better than Finnell.  However, I would definitely vote for a UT-Tyler P to win.  Offensively, Kendall Fox has had an awesome year, granted he is in a great lineup, but he seems to be the table setter.  An underrated guy this year is Trent Elizondo from UTD, he just keeps on hitting.  I think as a sophomore me was the East player of the year.  He hasn't gotten any worse and isn't really even a thought in the MVP poll.  I think this shows how the strength of the conference has improved a lot in the last few years.

CUAfan

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on April 07, 2007, 10:10:51 PM
Pitcher WEST:
Daniel Besa (TLU)
Robert Conley (TLU)
Adam Enloe (TLU)
Colton Hermes (Schreiner)
Nick Schaffer (McM)
Jonathan Miller (CUA)
Matt Aubry (CUA)

I think Miller deserves a good long look for this. Last I checked, he led the league in both strikeouts and IP (meaning that lineups are seeing him 3-4 times a game, and still whiffing), and he's been crazy stingy with walks for a strikeout guy.

Aubry...he's done a good job closing out games for us, and he has the potential to be a shut-down reliever, IMO, but I just don't think giving the Pitcher of they Year award to a 25-30 inning pitcher is a good idea. It's too easy to post good numbers due to luck/small sample size.
Let's go 'Nados!

CUAfan

Round 2 of the pitcher rankings. I swapped WHIP for K/BB, since using K/BB with K/9 and BB/9 was rewarding pitchers for the same thing twice. Also, since there are now around 30-40 pitchers with 40+ IP, the points changed to 20 for 1st on down until 0 points for everyone below 20th place in a stat. All the pitchers were ranked together, so you can see an ASC-wide ranking. Now, the top 10's from each division.

ASC West
J. Miller, CUA - 72 (67.0 IP)
C. Johnston, MCM - 65 (54.0)
A. Enloe, TLU - 56 (45.2)
N. Schafer, MCM - 49 (50.2)
C. Curry, MCM - 47 (52.2)
S. Szkotak, CUA - 46 (61.0)
R. Garza, UMHB - 45 (46.2)
M. Otero, SRSU - 22 (51.0)
D. Besa, TLU - 20 (51.2)
E. Morrison, CUA - 18 (54.1)

ASC East
R. Campbell, UTT - 92 (60.2)
B. Booher, UTT - 74 (44.0)
S. Ashley, MC - 72 (50.1)
B. Holland, UTT - 65 (40.1)
G. Wilson, LC - 57 (52.2)
R. Finnell, UO - 35 (44.0)
T. Williams, MC - 35 (42.1)
M. Cox, UTD - 31 (56.1)
T. Koch, UO - 29 (45.0)
D. Waggoner, UTD - 24 (43.2)
Let's go 'Nados!

tloc14

Elizondo from UTD has been a good hitter for them for a few years now.  I dont know if he has won any awards like player of the year, but he certainly deserves some recognition and consideration because he is the anchor of that lineup.

Nice info about the 3 schools' academics by the way.  Those are standardized tests and dont necessarily give exact information upon the intelligence of individual students, but since every school uses those exams in some way to evaluate potential students they are relevent numbers.

Ive heard UT-T is starting to become more picky about the students they accept also.  This is a recent thing, and probably the result of information similar to what Spence found.  I cannot speak for UTD or UD because I am relatively unfamiliar with each school, but UTT recently (within the last decade or so) switched from a graduate only school to a full undergrad program.  I think the low admission standards reflect the goal of the university to grow.  UTT is the fastest growing UT school by enrollment percentage.  Now that the university is growing at a satisfactory rate, I would not be suprised to see UTT begin to apply more strict admissions standards, probably very similar to the standards set by other UT system schools.

CUAfan

Quote from: tloc14 on April 11, 2007, 05:32:18 PM
Elizondo from UTD has been a good hitter for them for a few years now. 

Yeah, but (and this is an honest question) how many have been singles? I understand he's been hitting in the .350-.370 range or so since he showed up, but here's the thing.

Would you rather have someone who hit .370/.400/.450 (AVG/OBP/SLG) or someone who hit .300/.410/.550. The first guy is all singles, which has its value to be sure, but the other guy (not someone I have in mind, just a hypothetical player) has good plate vision and discipline and hits for power in addition to a good average. Batter #2 is the better one, IMO.
Let's go 'Nados!

Spence

Well you probably know about OPS (OBP+SLG).

Here's something I like better. From hardballtimes.com (it's on wikipedia too I think)

Gross Production Average, a variation of OPS, but more accurate and easier to interpret. The exact formula is (OBP*1.8+SLG)/4, adjusted for ballpark factor. The scale of GPA is similar to BA: .200 is lousy, .265 is around average and .300 is a star. (Note: This is for MLB.)

Basically some folks did some figuring on how much OPS underemphasized OBP and came up with 1.8 for a number. The division by 4 is simply to get a number that corresponds better to batting average as a reference point.

You can do it more quickly in your head by doubling OBP and just not dividing by 4. Then you just have to know that rather than undervaluing OBP by 80%, you're now overvaluing it by about 10% if the work the stat is based on was accurate.

I like it. Don Schaly actually used to compute OBP as a function of the total times on base, be it by error or whatever other way you can get on base that doesn't cost your team an out. His thinking was if you're on base, you're a potential run however you got there. Maybe it was because of a mistake by the other team, but it's a mistake that putting the ball in play enabled. GPA doesn't do that exactly, but it does reinforce the importance of getting on base. Players who draw walks and don't strike out a lot do something else important...increase pitch counts.

CUAfan

I never heard of that, and I'm on Baseball Prospectus whenever I can manage it. I'd thought that for a while about OPS though, since it over-emphasizes sluggers. If I had better data to work with (namely, a complete and utter lack of positions in the StatCrew-generated reports), I'd do a work-up of positional rankings based on offensive production, but without position information for everyone with, say, 100+ AB, I can't do it properly.

My personal favorite as far as all-in-one hitting stats goes is BaseRuns, but I don't recall who came up with that off-hand.
Let's go 'Nados!

Spence

NO way in the world I'm taking the time to do BaseRuns for anyone.

OPS' value is that it's quick; GPA is not quite as quick but still pretty easily estimated (2xOBP + SLG).

CUAfan

I did BaseRuns per plate appearance for every hitter with 100+ AB's (excepting HPU and SU, due to lack fo pertinent data) in less than an hour. It helped that I already had a spreadsheet I could use for it. I'll update it after this weekend's games and post an overall top 10 regardless of position.
Let's go 'Nados!

Spence

You're a better, or perhaps just more bored, man than I. :)

CUAfan

more bored, or at least more easily.
Let's go 'Nados!

tloc14

I believe in elizondo's case he is a power threat.  Id have to look up his stats to confirm that however.

On the flip side, the UTT player Kendall Fox is not a power guy.  He has a ton of walks.  He is a singles and doubles guy and a table setter for the bigger bats of Amex and co. that come later in the lineup.  Copeland and Goss are very similar hitters to Fox.  Both draw alot of walks and for the most part are single and double guys.

So if you are doing hitter of the year i guess its really your choice of whether you want to put more emphasis on power numbers or average. 

dsc

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

Just_Some_Guy

ASC Standings

EAST:
UT Tyler 14-0
UT Dallas 11-4
Ozarks 7-7
LA College 7-7
Mississippi 6-9
LeTourneau 3-11
ETBU 4-14

WEST:
TX Lutheran 14-3