BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAMBONE

thats a pretty good scouting report JSG.  that extensive thought process of hitters tendencies and pitchers results does mean a lot, however you missed an important stat...whats the tornados record of Fri night conference games at home?  im not sure of the exact #'s, but there isnt very many losses mixed in that fraction... just some food for thought.

Home Field Advantage - Concordia blows them out tonight.  Game 2 could go either way once tlu gets used to all their surroundings.  Game 3 CU.  of course only time will tell.  I believe TLU swept CU in Seguine last year.

Just_Some_Guy

Texas Lutheran defeated Concordia 8-7

TLU scored 8 runs on 11 hits and had 3 errors.
CUA scored 7 runs on 4 hits and the box score has 0 errors (but I would argue that Williams' throw to 3rd base on Femath's single that allowed Harvey to score on the hit-n-run play was an error.)

Logan Hull (4-1) earned the win for the Bulldogs going 7 innings and giving up 4 runs (1 was earned) on 3 hits, 5 BB, 5K.

Robert Conley worked the final two innings gave up 3 runs on 1 hit (3 run blast by Williams in the bottom of the 9th after giving up 1 BB and 1 HBP).

Ethan Morrison (1-2) got the loss for Concordia. He tossed 6 innings, gave up 6 runs (5 ER) on 7 hits. He issed 3 walks and recorded 6 Ks.

Andrew Femath was 3-5 with 1 run scored and 2 RBI.
Kyle Harvey was 1-2 with a solo HR in the first, 1 BB and 2 HBP. He scored 4 times and swiped a bag bringing his season total to 14 SBs. Joe Genry was 2-5 with a solo HR of his own.

Tom Williams went 2-4 with 2 more HRs (bringing his season total to 11). After watching him last night I'm convinced he isn't just a product of that park. He's a really talented hitter in the middle of that Tornado order.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

Concordia 13-16-1
4-4-3

Concordia defeated Texas Lutheran 13-4.

R   H   E
CUA: 13-16-1
TLU:    4-4-3

Patrick Mercer homered from Concordia and I think Justin Beasley added 2 HR.

TLU just doesn't seem to have much depth on the bump after Logan Hull.

JSG

HAMBONE

Concordia takes rubber match 11-8 in a TLU slopfest, 5 errors. Really a sloppy game, and Concordia's bullpen wasnt at its best either. I guess Miller saw this coming, calling its quits last year. TLU is still a solid team that can bounce back and compete throughout the yearfor a playoff run.

Ralph Turner

McM splits with HSU today.

HSU 6, McM 5
McM 16 HSU 1.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 07, 2008, 02:16:21 PM
If you forced me to pick I'd still say TLU wins game 1 behind Logan Hull, but that CUA takes both Saturday games at home.

JSG

Ahem. ;-)

Perhaps these are things the Bulldogs can fix and perhaps they're in for a tough year where they have to claw just to make the playoffs. In my mind, they are probably the 5th best team in the ASC right now.

They don't pitch that well after Logan Hull, they play awful defense and they're not very timely when they need to be at the plate. The last one is one that they can probably fix because I think they definitely have the means to be a good offensive team. Speaking of which, the way Miller has swung it off the bench (he was 0-4 in the one recent start he's had) do they find a place for him in the lineup? Maybe in left ?

McMurry comes to town next weekend so there's not much time to figure things out.

I think if you're Burnett you just you just ask your whole staff who wants the ball, who can get battle and get me a win and put it in the guy's hand who's most convincing.

As Miller goes, I think it has a lot LESS to do with what he saw coming as a result of his personnel and a lot lot MORE about some other things. They knew the staff would be fairly thin, but Hembree (1.88 ERA, .143 against), Conley (2.52 ERA, .233 against), Wesson (3.86 ERA) and Yager (8-1) were all better a year ago. Also, did they really anticipate Jake Kaase going high enough to actually go to the MiLB?

As far as CUA goes, they're not all that great on the mound either, but they seem to be put together a little better. In spite of the similar Fielding %, they seem to play better D and props to Gardner for going and getting a big bat in Williams that really solidifies the middle of that order and gives them something they've missed in these last two down years or so they've had.

Where do they fall in with respect to the ASC? McMurry's still my favorite and I think whomever pitches better out of the CUA/UMHB is probably second behind them, but I think HSU is fairly inter-changeable in that mix as well (but are going to struggle to log solid innings from their starters). The ASC should be a whole lot of fun to watch this year.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

Lousiana College took a pair of one-run games from UT Dallas Saturday.

Game One Box
Game Two Box

With the exception of a pretty sub-par performance against Howard Payne LA College starter Craig Naquin has been very solid.  He moves to 3-1 w/ a 3.33 ERA, 26Ks in 27 IP and a .253 avg against.

I was surprised to see them get the best of Cox, who really pitched well enough for a win. He gave up all three runs with two outs in the 5th.

Barrett Morgan has been sensational for LA College in relief.

Drew Waggoner certainly turned in a fairly solid start for UT Dallas. I still think they need some more pitching depth (but we can say that about almost every team in the ASC) after Cox, especially because of all the guys they lost offensively despite the fact some of those guys have swung well this year thus far.

They have faced some really soft pitching though so this could be  a sign of things to come against the better pitching teams like UT Tyler and Ozarks in the East.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 08, 2008, 08:44:03 PM
McM splits with HSU today.

HSU 6, McM 5
McM 16 HSU 1.

In the first game, HSU did EXACTLY what they have to do to defeat a team like McMurry. They got guys out they're supposed to get out and they kept Yurchick off base in front of the big guys. They let the big guys get theirs and they gave up a big inning, but they got the ball to Barton & Alcorn late and let them do their jobs.

That said, it was only a 7 inning game -- can the starters consistently get them deep enough to hand it off to those two?

Hardin-Simmons also swung it well against Johnston who did strike out 10 Cowboys, but relenquished 5 ER on 12 hits. Weeks, Stepp, Gage, Sellari and Armstrong all had two hits a piece.

Derek David was 3-3 and Stephen Derrick was 1-2 with a 3 run HR for McMurry.

In the second game Cody Curry was dominating going 7 innings, giving up 1 ER on 2 hits, and 4Ks. He did issue 5 BB.

Sweatman didn't pitch great for HSU, but Roten gave up 6 ER in 1.1 and that's when it got really ugly.

McMurry's 2-5 hitters combined to go 14-23 with 10 runs scored and 11 RBI. Weston Franco, Ross Shores and PH Jake Mullin all left the yard.

I'm guessing you'll see Tim Kriegel for the Cowboys tomorrow. We can discuss this issue when the time comes, but eventually you might see Kyle Barton have to try his role as a starter again if there's a battle for the 4th playoff spot out West.

For McMurry I suspect you'll see Arnold Toombs unless he's hurt (he didn't pitch much against ETBU last weekend and wasn't throwing that bad as far as I can tell.) If he's hurt, they almost have to go with Vorhees.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

In other ASC action:

Mississippi College 2 - LeTourneau 0

Jonathan Russell threw a 9 inning CG shut-out giving up 3 hits and striking out 7. Brannon Walls was 2-4 with an RBI.

------------

Howard Payne took 2 of 3 from Schreiner.

------------

UMHB 1 - Sul Ross 0

R.B. Garza threw 7 inning CG shut-out giving up 3 hits and striking out 5. Jamie Rojo pitched well for Sul Ross, holding the high octane UMHB offense to 5 hits and 1 unearned run.

UMHB 10 - Sul Ross 1

The the first five hitters for the Cru went 15-22.

------------

In other action, UT Tyler swept two games (including an extra inning game) from Austin College in non-ASC action.

Box Score One
Box Score Two

JSG

Ralph Turner

McM took the series over HSU today with 5-3 win.  Toombs went 5+ innings (95 pitches) for the win and Martin got a 4-inning save.  Alcorn took the loss for the Cowboys.

Wow!  The West looks like it is a tough five-team race.

And, as I said earlier, it looks like every team in the West has enough pitching to cause problems.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 09, 2008, 05:31:28 PM
And, as I said earlier, it looks like every team in the West has enough pitching to cause problems.

Ralph,

You mean a lack of pitching depth in the West ?

I think McMurry (and the jury is still out on UMHB) is the only team that can say that have a legitimately sound starting rotation at this point.

Despite Alcorn getting touched up a bit - HSU has two very solid bullpen guys, but haven't shown they have the starters to get them to the end of a game.

Concordia has a better starting staff than HSU, but other than Aubry, who like Alcorn got touched up a bit this weekend, I don't know how much depth they have out of the pen. Morrison hasn't been all that impressive as a #1 and until Szkotak's solid performance against TLU he'd been less than impressive.

With all due respect to the Howard Payne's, Schreiner's and Sul Ross's of the world -- there's lots of guys that can shut those teams down.

TLU has been pretty bad with the exception of Logan Hull. I envisioned the end of their bullpen with Wesson, Yager and Conley alot like Hardin-Simmons' has been with Alcorn and Barton, but that hasn't been the case.

Looking foward to next weekend:
McMurry vs. Texas Lutheran
Hardin Simmons vs. UMHB

JSG

mcm505

Hambone--

I always need to hear a remark about the elder statesman Krog and his 10 year service to the American Southwest Conference (especially since I just heard about this site this week).  I was glad to see that a McMurry player took some of those records back, even though D. White is a good guy.  Hambone, thanks for the humor, which sounds remarkably like a guy I used to work baseball camps with back in the day that shared the same last name as me, and his father also had the exact name as my dad.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 09, 2008, 06:22:06 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 09, 2008, 05:31:28 PM

Ralph,

You mean a lack of pitching depth in the West ?

Half empty, half full.  :)

From a partisan McMurry point of view... Jaime Rojo could mess up my weekend very easily!

Bman3

I was @ the TLU/CUA....I mean CTX series and I learned a few things:

*Not the rivalry it use to be
*Tom Williams is The Real Deal and might hit 28 HR
*Logan Hull is descent #1
*TLU won Game 1, but act like you've been there before. You have represented the ASC in the Regionals the past 3 years, I hope you didn't act like that there. It was quite pothetic. 
*JSG either has a ton of Frequent Flier Miles or spends too much time on the computer. It is nice to know what is going on in the Conference, but damn I got home from the CTX game Friday night only to see a full summary of the game. I did notice that when TLU won, the summary was much longer than when CTX put their beat down on. Must be a Bulldog.

It looks like this year we are going to see a lot of Offense from most of the teams around the ASC. It should be a very fun season to follow.

Bman3

I talk about just_some_guy being on the site sooo much, however I put a shortcut on my desktop to link me straight to d3sports.com and will become a regular. I dont follow all the teams so keep it up JSG, we do appreciate your dedication.