BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bman3

I don't wont to be on Junior Varsity any more, how many post before I see a little playing time.

Ralph Turner

Welcome aboard.  The posts just add up over the years (8 years in my case).

I will appreciate any game reports and links that your SID may have sent.

We have a great race in the West again.

Which team do you follow, Bman3?

Bman3

I am a Proud Concordia University Alumni!!!! I feel the ASC Conference does not get the respect it should. It is nice to see some of the teams venturing out to other various West Region teams. However, I would like to see more games against some North East Yankee teams. I think beating up on these teams would help gain some notoriety. They have NO RESPECT for DIII basbeall in the South. This has to change! Our Conference is deep. We beat each other up all year and some of the Conference Champions in the North couldn't hold our jock strap!!!

Bman3

infielddad

Quote from: Bman3 on March 10, 2008, 01:23:51 PM
I was @ the TLU/CUA....I mean CTX series and I learned a few things:

*Not the rivalry it use to be
*Tom Williams is The Real Deal and might hit 28 HR
*Logan Hull is descent #1
*TLU won Game 1, but act like you've been there before. You have represented the ASC in the Regionals the past 3 years, I hope you didn't act like that there. It was quite pothetic. 
*JSG either has a ton of Frequent Flier Miles or spends too much time on the computer. It is nice to know what is going on in the Conference, but damn I got home from the CTX game Friday night only to see a full summary of the game. I did notice that when TLU won, the summary was much longer than when CTX put their beat down on. Must be a Bulldog.

It looks like this year we are going to see a lot of Offense from most of the teams around the ASC. It should be a very fun season to follow.

Bman3, J_S_G is a wealth of very good and objective information not only for the ASC, but for all DIII's in TX including Southwestern and Trinity.
He then provides additional insight to bring in the schools in the SCIAC, the NWC and also the independents including Chapman and Cal St. East Bay.
I have had some suspicions that he must be a former or current coach. He  gets information that does not exist at the DIII level, unless you make a lot of calls and talk to a lot of people(the other option of travelling to all these places seems to rule itself out) He also has plenty of history since he knew things about our son quite well, and ours graduated in 2004.
I would not worry whether he is from TLU or someplace else. The information is quite solid, as you can tell by his pick in the opening TLU/CTX game, and every post is darn middle of the road.  If he has a bias, it sure hasn't shown in the last 18 months that I have been reading.
In summary, I wouldn't worry.  J_S_G provides fun reading for the entire West Region that is awfully good and reliable.
I am hoping J_S_G keeps it coming because the season is really only now starting to come together.

HAMBONE

whoa, chill out Bman3.  that tone sounds pretty serious.  I believe its safe to say that there are a lot of teams that could not hold your jock strap or even want to since you are a dude...ask me to hold a sports bra and you might get a different response!  I agree with the lack of respect or coverage of D3 teams from the south, but with a majority of these teams in CA, TX, LA, and MS its safe to say the majority tend to follow all of the D1 power houses that fill these states.  I believe its also safe to say that a majority of the successful D1 programs in the North East are in sports other than Baseball that D3 baseball gets more respect due to the higher levels of success.  I think there are a lot of great teams that fall through the cracks each year, but i think you would have to agree that it means there is a high level of competition in the West region making it a great place to play some hardball.  The greatest factor would have to be the weather in the south, which is why most of us are able to play year round.

on another note...the ASC is off in full swing!  The ASC west looks like it will be a tough race to conf tournament this year.  overall it appears that the team that out hits there own pitching will prevail.  There doesnt seem to be any team with a solid staff or a bull pen with much depth.  Team Pitching and Team Fielding for most of the clubs are less than respectable, but that should make it fun to watch.  HPU and TLU both made double digit errors in last weekends series, but it appears both are capable of beating anyone they face if they hit on all cylinders.  Its going to be every bit of a 5 team race in the West.  I dont foresee many 3 game sweeps this year, and none of the contenders can afford to let SU or SRSU take a win.  

McMurry takes on TLU in Seguine, UMHB goes to Abilene for HSU, and CTX makes the trip to Brownwood.  I think its safe to safe there will be some blood shed this weekend with TLU and HSU coming off a losing weekend, they are both @ home playing West contenders and will have there dukes up to defend their turf.  CTX will face a scrappy team from HPU that seems to be a very agressive ball club, just not very good. They dont appear very savvy on defense making 12 errors last weekend and their catchers have a combined 16 passed balls this season.  with that big ball park it will be interesting to see what happens.  My senior year ('04)we were victim of a no/no on friday from a senior on senior weekend...the next day we beat them into submission and i tatooed the archery barn twice....Lord those were the good ole days and I wish i were in the middle of this competition thid year.  best of luck to all the teams this week and Bman3 it looks like there is a pitcher from Ozarks that might give your strikeout records a run for your money...you had 14 twice in 2 different 9 inning complete game performances...Curt Dixon had 14 in 5.2 innings!  Damn Gina.  It was probably against the Arkansas School for the Blind though, he cant hold your jock strap!

HAMBONE

infielddad

Quote from: Bman3 on March 10, 2008, 06:27:25 PM
I am a Proud Concordia University Alumni!!!! I feel the ASC Conference does not get the respect it should. It is nice to see some of the teams venturing out to other various West Region teams. However, I would like to see more games against some North East Yankee teams. I think beating up on these teams would help gain some notoriety. They have NO RESPECT for DIII basbeall in the South. This has to change! Our Conference is deep. We beat each other up all year and some of the Conference Champions in the North couldn't hold our jock strap!!!

Nice idea but it won't happen.
Even if it did, it won't get what you want.
The primary reason is the East and North teams do come South and West, but they come when the teams in TX have played 5-15 games and been outdoors since January and the North/East teams are outdoors for the first time.
It won't happen later in the year when the South and West are done because the North and East are playing 4-5 games per week to complete their schedules.
Suffice to say, when our son played in the NECBL, we got to see a fair number of ECSU players and others from top DIII' places  in the North, East  and Midwest.
Those guys can play.
They also don't have the DI, DII and Juco programs that drain off so much talent in Tx and CA.
I agree with your premise that Tx DIII, including the SCAC schools, is terrific baseball.  With the West Regional finally returning to Texas this year, let's hope they show it.

HAMBONE

Bman3 im not sure what the Karma counter is for.  can some of you veterans please explain this to us?  thanks.  Im gonna head over to the national topics and stir the pot now.  this should be fun firing up those yankees!  

HAMBONE

HAMBONE

welcome back Blackcat00....enlighten us with your thoughts today!

infielddad

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 10, 2008, 07:52:59 PM
Bman3 im not sure what the Karma counter is for.  can some of you veterans please explain this to us?  thanks.  Im gonna head over to the national topics and stir the pot now.  this should be fun firing up those yankees! 

If you want some action, cut and paste Bman3's post on Tx DIII's not getting enough respect in the National section.
Wait some and either later tonight or tomorrow morning, Spence with have the pot bubbling at a scalding level.

HAMBONE

infielddad welcome.  do you follow CTX or TLwho?  

you are correct when you state that TOm Williams is in fact the Real deal....and the beautiful part about it is that he is the real deal from both sides of the plate.  This kid can swing the pole and there is not one bit of chili or mustard dripping from his uniform.  he displays himself as a class act and absolutely destroys the baseball from both sides of the plate.

infielddad

I follow all of them, but our son graduated from Trinity, so I follow them the most!!
Since we live in CA, I also try and see all the  teams whenever they come to Northern CA , along with seeing Cal State East Bay along the way.

indian4life

McMurry beats UT Tyler in a hard fought game 11-8

Bman3

i love what JSG is doing as i stated in an earlier post. i just dont know how he does it so quickly and so thoroughly.
i wish CTX got to play Trinity and Southwestern more often. What Conference are they in?