BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CUAfan

Okay, now for the player top 5's. BTW, there are separate VORP lists for SP and RP, a trend I may follow with the other pitching stats in coming weeks.

DICE
B. Holland, UTT - 1.59, 47.2 IP
B. Ziegler, UTT - 1.88, 22.1
C. Dixon, UO - 2.32, 42.2
T. Brooks, LC - 2.74, 38.0
C. Curry, MCM - 2.74, 38.0

BsRA
B. Morgan, LC - 0.88, 15.0 IP
C. Dixon, UO - 1.43, 42.2
B. Holland, UTT - 2.41, 47.2
B. Ziegler, UTT - 2.44, 22.1
B. Booher, UTT - 2.45, 44.2

Starter VORP
M. Cox, UTD - 38.89
B. Booher, UTT - 38.36
C. Dixon, UO - 36.15
B. Holland, UTT - 31.68
K. Jones, SU - 29.52

Reliever VORP
K. Barton, HSU - 25.03
J. Valentine, UTD - 20.03
B. Morgan, LC - 16.01
B. Ziegler, UTT - 14.83
J. Alcorn, HSU - 14.48

Speed
K. Harvey, TLU - 13.92
J. Villegas, UMHB - 13.87
L. Jones, MCM - 13.28
A. White, UMHB - 13.13
C. Baker, UTT - 12.68

BsR/PA
T. Williams, CTX - .348, 103 PA
D. David, MCM - .299, 103
C. Briggs, UO - .298, 91
J. Villegas, UMHB - .288, 103
B. Cameron, UO - .288, 78

Hitter VORP
T. Williams, CTX - 29.70
D. David, MCM - 20.39
K. Fox, UTT - 17.71
C. Briggs, UO - 17.48
J. Villegas, UMHB - 17.08
Let's go 'Nados!

Bman3

it is very clear that UT-T has the best starting rotation in the conference. and it is also clear that few teams have a complete staff of starters and bullpen. when you look as the stats from CUAfan....looks like most of the good pitching is on the east side.

baseballfan24

Quote from: CUAfan on March 26, 2008, 10:27:20 AM
Time for new sets of team and player rankings in the various stats I've posted before, through last weekend's games. I've actually got some new ones as well. I found the formula to do BaseRuns for pitchers, which I then translated to BaseRuns/9IP, or BaseRun Average (BsRA). Also, I figured up VORP for both hitters and pitchers, operating under the assumption that the theoretical "replacement level" will be roughly as far below average as in MLB.

Team Speed
Mary Hardin-Baylor - 9.02
Texas-Tyler - 8.53
Mississippi College - 8.33
Ozarks - 8.05
Howard Payne - 7.98

Team Defense
Texas-Tyler - .689
Mary Hardin-Baylor - .686
Ozarks - .683
Texas-Dallas - .679
Hardin-Simmons - .675

Team DICE
Texas-Tyler - 3.07
Louisiana College - 3.34
Ozarks - 3.45
Schreiner - 4.18 (yeah, I was surprised too)
Texas-Dallas - 4.23

Team BsRA
Texas-Tyler - 3.54
Ozarks - 3.82
Texas-Dallas - 4.91
Louisiana College - 5.13
Mississippi College - 5.34

Team BsR/PA
Texas-Tyler - .223
Concordia-Texas - .211
McMurry - .211
Mary Hardin-Baylor - .209
Ozarks - .207

CUA Fan,

I have followed baseball for quite sometime.  I have to say I don't have a clue what all these stats mean.  How is UMHB the top speed team (whatever that means) when TLU and Tyler are 1 and 2 in the conference in stolen bases.  That does not make sense to me.  Is it because of doubles and triples?  If that is the case do those stats not have more to do with where the ball is hit and how it is played by the defense than how fast a player is?

Also related to team defense, wouldn't simply listing the teams' fielding percentages give us a good idea of who plays quality defense and who does not.  I know that fielding percentage may not always be a completely accurate description of how teams play defense, but it is usually a pretty good teller.

If you get a chance, could you perhaps explain a little for those of us who do not know what these stats mean?

Thanks

Bman3

it is an acronym for something, but i am not sure what.

Bman3

Quote from: CUAfan on March 18, 2008, 01:00:28 PM
The speed lists (team and player) use Baseball Prospectus' SPEED stat, the defensive efficiency numbers are the percentage of balls in the field of play that are turned into outs,

i think this is how the SPEED stat works.

CUAfan....is there anything else you could add? he is our webpage stat guy and knows more about these stats than most of us.

Bman3

his stats are a little more thorough than the regular stats.

Bman3

THE_CRU_05

where did you go? with the CRU making a name for themselves, you would think he would be blowing this board up. he must have been a one hit wonder like the CRU is going to be this year!!! it is your time to shine the_cru_05....better make it last while you can!!!

Blackcat00

Tom Williams has 12 I beleive, great midweek analysis Hambone. At least SAGU got rid of those god awful unis. Bman are  you turning on us now and getting brainwashed and looking at the game at a different perspective?

Bman3

browncat00.....some people aren't as fortunate as others to have been able to play this great game at a high level. it is nice to see the game being viewed in different perspectives. i think you need to look at yourself in the mirror and really look at the person you have become, not so nice :-[.

Bman3

HAMBONE

Quote from: Bman3 on March 26, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
THE_CRU_WHERE_ARE_YOU

Bman3 quit posting useless posts just to become a STARTER.  you and I both know you are a second-stringer 4 life.  its cool< some people just dont have what it takes.

HAMBONE

Quote from: Bman3 on March 26, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
THE_CRU_WHERE_ARE_YOU

I think I hurt THE_CRU_05's feelings.  i got on him pretty hard for messing with Infielddad and JSG.  Im sure he is aware that if the Cru does actually make it to the championship game of the asc tournament that 1 of those east powerhouses will man-handle them.  where is that pansy?  light us up on this message board....we are ready for your cocky-typing to make us think differently about your club.  afterall they did put a beatdown on a strong NCCAA team last night.  maybe they will get an intramural championship t-shirt for their efforts?

fungoman

Seeing as though everyone wants to bash UMHB on here...I did a little research on a few of the comments made today.

The one hit wonder comment struck me weird...especially from a Concordia guru. I believe they made the postseason last year with Concordia sitting at home, so calling this year a one hit wonder is kind of odd, maybe a 2 hit wonder?

I will agree that UMHB MIGHT lose an ASC championship game to Ozarks or UT Tyler, but I do not think we could even suggest Concordia being there.

I looked on the schedule page and noticed that the soft SWAGU game was postponed the first game of the season, and this was probably a makeup, but I can't expect someone with your intelligence level to comprehend that, hambone.

Enough about UMHB, and Concordia...UT Tyler is about to end UT Dallas' season this weekend. Lets talk about that!

Bman3

i think the UT-Dallas season is already over. what happened to those guys? as for the UMHB comment, i'm trying to get THE_CRU_05 back in here. I figured that comment might catch his attention and i would HARDLY consider that "bashing." you act like they are already in the championship game! we still have a long season ahead of us fungoman!

fungoman

I am not acting like anyone is in the championship game. You guys are just bashing teams with no representation here, so I figured I would defend them. Bash Mcmurry or the Ozarks and I will likely do the same.

Ralph, what can you tell me about UMHB?