BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearcat Press

Bearcats open the season today with a three game series against Cal State East Bay.  Even though I won't be covering the team this spring, I still plan on going to the games.

Should be an interesting year.  We had plenty of offense to go around last year, but the pitching was subpar, to say the least.  Suffice it to say that our best starter had an ERA of 4.50.  Everyone else's hung around 6.  That worked fine against the lower half of the conference, but Linfield ran over us like a bulldozer.

With the change to a more pitching/defense oriented coach, I think Willamette could surprise some people this year.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

Browneagle64

Welcome Aboard B.C.P. Please do add any insight about your bearcats through out the season. At the very least, I hope this can get others from your conference to start ranting and raving about their team. And if your team seems to struggle and not produce as much wins as it may wont, do not hesitate to continue contributing to this board. In all, best of luck to your team and hope that they can give the defending NWC champs a run for their money. (Hey, I know the Cats are good this year and should be, but anything can happen on any give saturday)
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Bearcat Press

Bearcats took two out of three from East Bay this weekend, including a 12 inning 6-5 win on Saturday.  For a team that's working with only one returning starting pitcher, it's a great way to start the season.

Browneagle64

This is by far an impressive win for your Bear Cats, B.C. Congrats to your team in taking care of a team who rode far into the West Regions last year. Lets just hope your club is ready for the local NWC teams
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

wildcat11

The 'Cats and Lutes had a fine weekend at the Jim Doran Auto Classic in Mac over the weekend.  Linfield wrapped the at 3-1 after hammering NAIA Oregon Tech this evening 13-2.  The Lutes walked away from the weekend at 3-0 and beat Linfield 10-8 on Saturday night. 

Huge start to NWC play next weekend as the 'Cats head up north to play PLU in a 4 game weekend.

Ralph Turner

There used to be a "Doran Chevrolet" in Dallas.

Is that the same guy?

Thanks

wildcat11

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 23, 2009, 12:54:07 AM
There used to be a "Doran Chevrolet" in Dallas.

Is that the same guy?

Thanks

Ralph,

The Doran dealership in Mac is a Chevy dealer so it might be related.

Up-to-date NWC standings (all non-conference at this point)

Linfield - 3-1
Willamette - 2-1
Pacific (Ore.) - 3-2
Pacific Lutheran - 4-3
George Fox - 3-3
Puget Sound - 2-2
Whitworth - 2-3
Whitman - 1-5
Lewis & Clark - 0-4

swede

Quote from: wildcat11 on February 23, 2009, 12:46:49 AM
The 'Cats and Lutes had a fine weekend at the Jim Doran Auto Classic in Mac over the weekend.  Linfield wrapped the at 3-1 after hammering NAIA Oregon Tech this evening 13-2.  The Lutes walked away from the weekend at 3-0 and beat Linfield 10-8 on Saturday night. 

Huge start to NWC play next weekend as the 'Cats head up north to play PLU in a 4 game weekend.

#11 The 'cats schedule has the lutes in Mactown this weekend..

swede

PLU hammered the 'cats all day winning both games. In my humble opinion Linfield needs to at least split tomorrow to have any kind of chance at the NWC crown. PLU put on perhaps the most dominating display of hitting I've seen in many years. Including the non league loss to the Lutes the 'cats are now 0-3 against
them having given up 48 runs (16 per game) OUCH!!!

Bearcat Press

Quote from: swede on February 28, 2009, 09:15:55 PM
PLU hammered the 'cats all day winning both games. In my humble opinion Linfield needs to at least split tomorrow to have any kind of chance at the NWC crown. PLU put on perhaps the most dominating display of hitting I've seen in many years. Including the non league loss to the Lutes the 'cats are now 0-3 against
them having given up 48 runs (16 per game) OUCH!!!

:o

For a team that was built on pitching and defense last year . . . I'm stunned.  Is PLU that good, Linfield that bad, or were the Wildcats just having an off-day while the Lutes were firing on all cylinders?  I guess we find out tomorrow.

Bearcats did what they were supposed to do today, sweeping a doubleheader with Lewis & Clark.  Impressive performances by a couple of sophomore pitchers.  Hopefully they can sweep the series tomorrow: a 6-1 start would be fantastic for this team.

wildcat11

Quote from: BearcatPress on March 01, 2009, 04:00:14 AM

For a team that was built on pitching and defense last year . . . I'm stunned.  Is PLU that good, Linfield that bad, or were the Wildcats just having an off-day while the Lutes were firing on all cylinders?  I guess we find out tomorrow.

I guess PLU is just trying to make for the fact that Linfield has shutout the 'Lutes on the gridiron for the past two season....yikes those were two very ugly scores.  I know it's early in the season but Linfield HAS to get both today.  Maybe I can go steal PLU's bats before the game.

RSSmith

Quote from: wildcat11 on March 01, 2009, 11:37:31 AM

I guess PLU is just trying to make for the fact that Linfield has shutout the 'Lutes on the gridiron for the past two season....yikes those were two very ugly scores.  I know it's early in the season but Linfield HAS to get both today.  Maybe I can go steal PLU's bats before the game.

Didn't Linfield return all of its regional championship pitching staff?  I think it must be the Lutes' hitters.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

wildcat11

Quote from: RSSmith on March 01, 2009, 01:54:50 PM

Didn't Linfield return all of its regional championship pitching staff?  I think it must be the Lutes' hitters.

3 out of 4 starters returned but losing Clark is a big loss (he was 10-2 last year).  Great response from the 'Cats today in getting both games today and splitting the 4 game set with hard hitting Lute team. 

Bearcat Press

Willamette's games against L&C were suspended (unplayable field on Palatine Hill) with the Bearcats leading 15-2 in the fifth inning of the first game.

swede

Quote from: wildcat11 on March 01, 2009, 07:37:52 PM
Quote from: RSSmith on March 01, 2009, 01:54:50 PM

3 out of 4 starters returned but losing Clark is a big loss (he was 10-2 last year).  Great response from the 'Cats today in getting both games today and splitting the 4 game set with hard hitting Lute team. 

Wildcat ace Robert Vaughn is out indefinetly due to injury.