BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat_fan_08

The wildcats are very lucky that George Fox dropped a game last weekend. Linfield would have been in a position of having to take 3 out of 4 in that final series against fox had they not lost that game and both teams won out before that.

You have to be in the top two in the conference to qualify for a playoff spot. Even if your record makes you good enough to qualify, if you are in third place you cannot be considered for the regionals.

I want to see Linfield play in a regional they host.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: cat_fan_08 on April 07, 2009, 02:54:10 PM
The wildcats are very lucky that George Fox dropped a game last weekend. Linfield would have been in a position of having to take 3 out of 4 in that final series against fox had they not lost that game and both teams won out before that.

You have to be in the top two in the conference to qualify for a playoff spot. Even if your record makes you good enough to qualify, if you are in third place you cannot be considered for the regionals.

A 3rd place team can play in a Regional.  The NJAC sent 4 teams last year.

wildcat11

Press,

I don't know if I should be very impressed by the Bearcats comeback or just disgusted by Whitman giving up 9 in the last frame. 

Cat_fan_08,

I was feeling the same way on Saturday and checked out the Rat/GFU scores and was just hoping that Whitworth could sneak one away.  Thankfully it happened but as we know there is little room for error over the next three weekends.

I don't know if PLU is going to lose for the remainder of the season either so it's going to be a very intense month of April.

swede

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 07, 2009, 02:58:01 PM
Quote from: cat_fan_08 on April 07, 2009, 02:54:10 PM

A 3rd place team can play in a Regional.  The NJAC sent 4 teams last year.

If so I think PLU will be in along with Linfield and GF.

cat_fan_08

I don't think the committee will send 3 teams from the NWC even if it would make travel costs a lot cheaper. Especially if it is a 6 team regional.

Probably Linfield, George Fox, Pomona Pitzer, Chapman, Texas Tyler, and possibly cal lutheran.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: cat_fan_08 on April 08, 2009, 09:55:24 AM
I don't think the committee will send 3 teams from the NWC even if it would make travel costs a lot cheaper. Especially if it is a 6 team regional.

Probably Linfield, George Fox, Pomona Pitzer, Chapman, Texas Tyler, and possibly cal lutheran.

If PLU keeps winning, I think they could slip in.  Linfield and George Fox could really screw the other one over.  I do not see Chapman as a lock for a bid.  They are really on the bubble in my mind.  Cal Lutheran and Pomona look to be in very good position to get a bid.  UT Tyler just needs to win their conference tourney.

OshDude

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 08, 2009, 01:30:54 PM
Quote from: cat_fan_08 on April 08, 2009, 09:55:24 AM

If PLU keeps winning, I think they could slip in.  Linfield and George Fox could really screw the other one over.  I do not see Chapman as a lock for a bid.  They are really on the bubble in my mind.  Cal Lutheran and Pomona look to be in very good position to get a bid.  UT Tyler just needs to win their conference tourney.
Almost every team is technically on the bubble, I guess. But as of today which six Pool B teams do you think are in? I think Chapman has some wiggle room before you get to the sixth spot.

Jim Dixon

I think that Pac Lutheran will win the conference - getting the automatic bid and that leaves Linfield as the probably Pool C bid.  I assume Linfield and George Fox split.

I am not sure that Pac Lutheran has the in regions wins to get a pool C bid so they need to to win the conference.

I expect Pac Lutgheran, Linfield, Pomona-Pitzer, Cal Lutheran, Texas Tyler and either Chapman or Texas Lutheran filling out a 6-team regional.

OshDude

You don't expect Chapman to be there? Unless Emory were to beat Millsaps and/or St. John Fisher gets hot, I think Chapman is fairly safe – at least as safe as many West teams being mentioned in terms of regionals.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: OshDude on April 08, 2009, 02:46:37 PM
You don't expect Chapman to be there? Unless Emory were to beat Millsaps and/or St. John Fisher gets hot, I think Chapman is fairly safe – at least as safe as many West teams being mentioned in terms of regionals.

Do I think Chapman will be in?  As of this moment, yes.  I still feel like they are going to drop more games, especially without Kitchens.  In the end, I don't see them making it, unless they have a very good rest of the season.  If they get in as a #5 or #6 and have Kitchens, that would be a huge advantage for them.

BigPoppa

Chapman still has a tough 3 game series with Pomona-Pitzer coming up.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 08, 2009, 09:55:21 PM
Chapman still has a tough 3 game series with Pomona-Pitzer coming up.

Plus one with Redlands, and the Chapman Tournament, which, if they don't have Kitchens, could be a little rough.  I see Chapman dropping 4 more games this season which would leave them with a 19-11 West region record (.633%) which I do not think is strong enough.  The worst thing that could happen to Chapman is UT Tyler not winning the conference tourney.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 08, 2009, 10:21:07 PM
The worst thing that could happen to Chapman is UT Tyler not winning the conference tourney.

Agree... sort of. Chapman is aiming for a Pool B bid and Tyler cannot affect that at all. Chapman faces the other independents head-to-head for the Pool Bs.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 08, 2009, 11:40:37 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 08, 2009, 10:21:07 PM
The worst thing that could happen to Chapman is UT Tyler not winning the conference tourney.

Agree... sort of. Chapman is aiming for a Pool B bid and Tyler cannot affect that at all. Chapman faces the other independents head-to-head for the Pool Bs.

I got ya.  I was thinking if Chapman drops out of Pool B without a bid, they go into Pool C, which is where UT Tyler would be.  Maybe I am wrong.  Either way, Chapman just needs to keep winning.

cat_fan_08

Does Chapman's name and track record give them any wiggle room when it comes time to select teams for the playoffs?

I would hope not, and I think missing the playoffs this year would knock them down and humble them a little bit.