BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerfan_2001

someone that follows Linfield help me out...how did Haddeland not win Pitcher of the Year? 

Westside

I am guessing they go by conference statistics, since it is the conference award. If you compare the two in league games:

Haddeland: 6-1, 1.41 ERA, 64 IP, 44 K, 15 BB.
Thomassen: 7-0, 1.15 ERA, 55 IP, 42 K, 5 BB.

So Thomassen was certainly deserving.
NWC Baseball

tigerfan_2001

Quote from: Westside4 on May 05, 2014, 02:45:26 PM
I am guessing they go by conference statistics, since it is the conference award. If you compare the two in league games:

Haddeland: 6-1, 1.41 ERA, 64 IP, 44 K, 15 BB.
Thomassen: 7-0, 1.15 ERA, 55 IP, 42 K, 5 BB.

So Thomassen was certainly deserving.
that makes sense.

NWBaseballFan10

Safe to say that Fox is probably at home wishing their Christmas present came early this year: a conference tournament. Yet another case of an NWC team staying home because they could not claim the regular season title. I really thought that their two wins over Linfield would punch them a ticket, but it is understandable that a 3rd place finish in conference and too many losses to teams they should have beat is enough to keep them out of the playoffs.

On the bright side, a conference tournament will finally be imposed next season. Also, if they get bored sitting at home they could always take that quick drive 25 minutes southwest and watch the Regional in person ;D

wildcat11

Quote from: NWBaseballFan10 on May 12, 2014, 12:43:01 PM
Safe to say that Fox is probably at home wishing their Christmas present came early this year: a conference tournament.

Or they could have played better in conference play.   ;)

Westside

Linfield has a cool little documentary thing going on about their baseball team. It has a few highlights but it mostly lets you get to know the players and stuff. It is worth the few minutes to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBQAotITPhQ
NWC Baseball

Westside

Congrats to Linfield's Chris Haddeland (Jr.) as a repeat winner of West Region Pitcher of the Year. He is joined on the first team West Region by teammates; Jake Wylie (Sr.), Nick Fisher (Sr.), and Aaron Thomassen (Jr.).

Haddeland and Wylie were both first team West Region last year, while Fisher and Thomassen were both second team.

Congrats again.

NWC Baseball

Westside

2015 is just around the corner!

I am taking a look at Linfield's schedule and it looks legit. Figured I would break it down real quick.

They open the year with UT-Dallas and La Verne in Arizona. These are two teams that are usually competitive, so it is a nice start to the season but it is their mid-year Arizona trip that is extremely enticing (more on that to come!).

One disappointment is Linfield plays PLU in the first NWC series of the year... I think these are the two best teams in the league and they both have legit pitching staffs. It is too bad they will play in February when it will likely be cold and wet. Expect some 2-1, 3-0 type games.

Now, onto the juicy part of the schedule. If it is official; Linfield plays St. Thomas, Cal-Lu, and Wesleyan down in Arizona. All four of these teams made it to the regional last year, with Linfield and St. Thomas going to the WS (St. Thomas dominated Linfield in the opening game). They also play NAIA Marian.

I love that they were able to get these out of region teams to come to Arizona. I wish this happened more often. It isn't often a team from Oregon gets to play teams from Minnesota, Connecticut, Indiana, in the same weekend. And legit teams at that! As fun as it is seeing West Region teams play each other every season in non-conference, this will be a breath of fresh air!

The season is wrapped up with the inaugural NWC conference tournament, April 24th through the 26th. I love that this adds extra games against top opponents. The next weekend marks the end of the season as Linfield plays some non-conference games against PLU, George Fox and Puget Sound. No doubt trying to boost that SOS a little bit more.

Looks like a great year. Roll 'Cats.
NWC Baseball

108 Stitches

Thank goodness for that.

I see that George Fox is starting out the season in TX. They will also get to play some solid competition out of the gate. Two against Concordia and one vs Centenary, and Trinity. Should be a good SOS to start out.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Westside4 on December 23, 2014, 02:27:44 PM
2015 is just around the corner!

I am taking a look at Linfield's schedule and it looks legit. Figured I would break it down real quick.

They open the year with UT-Dallas and La Verne in Arizona. These are two teams that are usually competitive, so it is a nice start to the season but it is their mid-year Arizona trip that is extremely enticing (more on that to come!).

One disappointment is Linfield plays PLU in the first NWC series of the year... I think these are the two best teams in the league and they both have legit pitching staffs. It is too bad they will play in February when it will likely be cold and wet. Expect some 2-1, 3-0 type games.

Now, onto the juicy part of the schedule. If it is official; Linfield plays St. Thomas, Cal-Lu, and Wesleyan down in Arizona. All four of these teams made it to the regional last year, with Linfield and St. Thomas going to the WS (St. Thomas dominated Linfield in the opening game). They also play NAIA Marian.

I love that they were able to get these out of region teams to come to Arizona. I wish this happened more often. It isn't often a team from Oregon gets to play teams from Minnesota, Connecticut, Indiana, in the same weekend. And legit teams at that! As fun as it is seeing West Region teams play each other every season in non-conference, this will be a breath of fresh air!

The season is wrapped up with the inaugural NWC conference tournament, April 24th through the 26th. I love that this adds extra games against top opponents. The next weekend marks the end of the season as Linfield plays some non-conference games against PLU, George Fox and Puget Sound. No doubt trying to boost that SOS a little bit more.

Looks like a great year. Roll 'Cats.

The AZ games are great for everyone.  I'm not even sure if they will continue the games up in Phoenix but the Tucson games bring teams from all over the place.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 108 Stitches on December 23, 2014, 06:38:41 PM
Thank goodness for that.

I see that George Fox is starting out the season in TX. They will also get to play some solid competition out of the gate. Two against Concordia and one vs Centenary, and Trinity. Should be a good SOS to start out.
GFU has a great Texas Schedule.  Where are they playing Centenary and Trinity?

Okay, found it.  (TLU got lights in Spring 2014.)

http://athletics.georgefox.edu/sports/bsb/2014-15/schedule

Whatagame

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Willamette will be a serious factor, and is positioned to be a serious threat to take the NWC title.  Linfield has the great 1-2 punch of starting pitchers coming back, but has lost some high-level secondary guys on the bump to graduation, and they need to replace virtually all of their offense.  PLU had no offense last season, and Lubking is in pro ball.  The Bearcats return basically everyone from a very competitive '14 season team, who were in the mix until the final two weeks when they fell apart after being eliminated.

Willamette won't have the pitching of PLU and Linfield, but, only need to replace Semlacher from an offense that raked last year, and they return their top starters and closer, again, not a WU fan, but I think they'll be legit.....

Westside

Quote from: Whatagame on December 26, 2014, 08:25:24 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I think Willamette will be a serious factor, and is positioned to be a serious threat to take the NWC title.  Linfield has the great 1-2 punch of starting pitchers coming back, but has lost some high-level secondary guys on the bump to graduation, and they need to replace virtually all of their offense.  PLU had no offense last season, and Lubking is in pro ball.  The Bearcats return basically everyone from a very competitive '14 season team, who were in the mix until the final two weeks when they fell apart after being eliminated.

Willamette won't have the pitching of PLU and Linfield, but, only need to replace Semlacher from an offense that raked last year, and they return their top starters and closer, again, not a WU fan, but I think they'll be legit.....

I agree Willamette will be good, but I still think they are the 3rd best team.

Linfield only lost two pitchers that had more than 10 total innings last year. For all intents and purposes, their staff will be even better than last year (or the year before). They do lose a lot offensively, but the cupboards definitely aren't bare. They still return 4 starters and they have a D1 transfer that should come in and start immediately. Their defense should be a lot better as well. And everyone knows pitching and defense wins championships.

PLU took second in the league last year in spite of having the worst offense in the conference. But they were so young; they only had one senior starting last year. I expect their offense to take a huge leap this year. Lubking was amazing, but they still have Bishop (who no-hit Willamette lat year) and Mahlum. Mahlum might have the best pure stuff in the West region this year. He is absolutely filthy and only a sophomore.

Until Willamette proves they can hang with the "big boys" of the NWC, I can't put them as a favorite. I think these three teams will battle for the top spot, but at the end of the day pitching is what, I think, matters the most...

Linfield - 2.27 ERA
PLU - 2.76 ERA
Willamette - 4.62 ERA
NWC Baseball

NWBaseballFan10

Willamette is a dangerous team with that offense, but I can't imagine them finishing in the top 2 for the NWC this spring. Linfield and George Fox should still be the favorites despite both losing some significant pieces to graduation. Linfield's rotation will remain strong with Haddeland and Thomassen returning, but their offense will need some new faces to step up (especially after losing their 3-6 hitters). Fox may have lost the most from the 2014 season, but Coach Hunter routinely puts out a solid starting lineup and they also return some strong arms on the mound. As Westside pointed out, Willamette needs a more consistent (and talented) rotation if they expect to contend for the title.

My prediction for 2015 is as follows: Linfield, Fox, PLU, Willamette, Whitworth, UPS, Whitman, Pacific, L&C.

Bishopleftiesdad

Clayton Truex formerly of Linfield will continue his Baseball career in the Mount Rainier Professional Baseball League. He will be playing for the Oregon City Mud Turtles

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/player.html?playerid=743594&seasonid=29081

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/team_roster.html?teamid=85812&seasonid=29081