BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

The OAC moves to 7-0 this postseason.  BW takes their opener 4-2 over Endicott.  BW got a 2-run bomb from Ludwick in the 1st to get them going then a huge go ahead solo shot from Mohickney in the 7th to make it 3-2.  Wilson was lights out in relief allowing no runs and only 1 hit over the final 4 innings.  Etta was pushed until tomorrow due to the crap weather today. 

D3baseballparent

OAC is now 10-0 in the tourney. 2 in the World Series. Etta dominate. They simply don't make mistakes and jumps all over any mistake their opponent makes. Hoping BW and Marietta are on opposite sides of the bracket. As well as the OAC has done, it makes me wonder if Otterbein would have made some noise too.

Ralph Turner

Edit: WRONG! The Super Regional Winners were seeded for the National Championships.  See Below

Quote from: D3baseballparent on May 29, 2022, 09:10:31 PM
OAC is now 10-0 in the tourney. 2 in the World Series. Etta dominate. They simply don't make mistakes and jumps all over any mistake their opponent makes. Hoping BW and Marietta are on opposite sides of the bracket. As well as the OAC has done, it makes me wonder if Otterbein would have made some noise too.
Yes. Marietta will face UWSP (Trinity TX & Catholic are the other teams in that bracket.)
BWC will face Salisbury. ECSU and La Grange are the other teams in that bracket.

Pat Coleman

Not to doubt you, Ralph, but not sure that is official. The bracket was drawn that way but notice how the lines aren't drawn in. Those matchups are not set in ink.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Thanks, Pat. I was going off the original. I liked those matchups!
I hope they keep them.

mr_b

From the D3Baseball.com website, a detailed breakdown of the D3 Baseball Championship, showing which teams are in each bracket. Marietta and Baldwin-Wallace are in different brackets.

Bracket 1 (D3baseball.com Top 25 rankings)
No. 2 Marietta (43-5) vs. Catholic (34-14), 10 a.m. CT (No. 1 vs. No. 8 seed)
No. 7 Salisbury (36-10) vs. No. 12 Stevens Point (40-8), 1:15 p.m. CT (No. 4 vs. No. 5 seed)

Bracket 2
No. 1 Eastern Connecticut (44-3) vs. No. 21 Baldwin Wallace (37-11), 4:30 CT (No. 2 vs. No. 7 seed)
No. 4 LaGrange (42-7) vs. No. 15 Trinity, Texas (37-11), 7:45 CT (No. 3 vs. No. 6 seed)

Dr. Acula

BW's half of the bracket is an absolute meat grinder.  If they can somehow knock off ECSU that buys them at least to a game 3.  With their lineup once you start getting to team's #3 or lower SP BW has a shot against anyone.

Etta should win their opener with little trouble I'd imagine.  If they win their 2nd game it's pretty much over on that side of the bracket.  They just defend so well and have such a deep lineup that I can't see them losing multiple games in a row.  Of course, Otterbein did it right before the OAC tourney so it's possible.

Pops33

It is so awesome that Ohio has 2 teams in the World Series.  It shows the quality of baseball in this state.  Would have had 3 if Wooster had any pitching left in the 3rd game.  Nationally, I think everyone is looking to see a Eastern Conn vs. Marietta final, but I think BW has the lineup to pull off the upset.  Looking forward to see what plays out.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Pops33 on June 01, 2022, 12:52:18 PM
It is so awesome that Ohio has 2 teams in the World Series.  It shows the quality of baseball in this state.  Would have had 3 if Wooster had any pitching left in the 3rd game.  Nationally, I think everyone is looking to see a Eastern Conn vs. Marietta final, but I think BW has the lineup to pull off the upset.  Looking forward to see what plays out.

2 in the WS, 4 in the super regionals is impressive.  But to me the thing that separates Ohio from a lot of states is the depth.  You had teams like Case, Witt, Ott, Mount, Kenyon that were all good D3 squads.  That group rotates year-to-year, but it's always quality teams.  And outside of a couple (Cap, OWU, Oberlin?) no one is just plain bad.  Even Wilm and Hiram are getting better. 

ECSUalum

Can anybody tell me why ECSU is seeded #2 in the CWS?  They have been #1 in the d3 poll for a month now!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ECSUalum on June 01, 2022, 09:27:12 PM
Can anybody tell me why ECSU is seeded #2 in the CWS?  They have been #1 in the d3 poll for a month now!
Because as magnificent we think that the D3baseball.com poll is,   ;)

it is not part of the criteria used by the Championship committee of Division III baseball.

The Poll is just a poll, the opinion of 25 coaches, SIDs and sportwriters across the country.

Thanks for asking and good luck in the Tourney.

Dr. Acula

It's crazy to say this in January, but we are less than a month away from the OAC opening the season.  Well, not ONU.  They do not start until early March.  But everyone else starts in less than a month.

In past years I felt like I had a good handle on the OAC landscape coming into most years.  I follow OAC baseball closely enough to have a sense of how teams are looking (at least on paper).  Honestly, post-COVID I have no clue because I have no idea who is coming back until rosters are posted now.  Top 10 squads Etta (#6) and BW (#10) were the only teams receiving votes in the D3 top 25 preseason poll.  I don't think that's surprising to anyone.

Wilm opens things up 3 weeks from today in GA.  BW and Musky open the following day. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 27, 2023, 10:59:28 AM
It's crazy to say this in January, but we are less than a month away from the OAC opening the season.  Well, not ONU.  They do not start until early March.  But everyone else starts in less than a month.

In past years I felt like I had a good handle on the OAC landscape coming into most years.  I follow OAC baseball closely enough to have a sense of how teams are looking (at least on paper).  Honestly, post-COVID I have no clue because I have no idea who is coming back until rosters are posted now.  Top 10 squads Etta (#6) and BW (#10) were the only teams receiving votes in the D3 top 25 preseason poll.  I don't think that's surprising to anyone.

Wilm opens things up 3 weeks from today in GA.  BW and Musky open the following day.
Part of what we are seeing relates to who has COVID seniors who have hung around and who doesn't.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 27, 2023, 12:14:02 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 27, 2023, 10:59:28 AM

Part of what we are seeing relates to who has COVID seniors who have hung around and who doesn't.

Precisely.  It's a crapshoot until rosters get posted because guys who were seniors may use their COVID year and come back and we just don't know until the rosters are up.

Speaking of which, I hopped on and saw Mount's roster is up.  There are a lot of new (or fairly new) faces that will need to emerge.  They had a ton of senior contributors in 2022 so this isn't a surprise.  Offensively as long as you can start by building your lineup around Mazza and Schilling you don't feel too bad.  Those are two proven bats that both hit for power.  On the pitching side they lost a massive amount of IP from last year with Hawley (21 IP, 2 GS) being their most experienced returning arm.  As much fun as it is to have a veteran team like last year I enjoy years like this too because it's fun to see the next crop of talent burst onto the scene.

Dr. Acula

Thinking about the roster got me curious about Dwayne Sumler because I thought he had one more season available if he wanted it.  Obviously it would have been a huge help to have a SP back who was 1st team All-OAC and 2nd team All-Region.  He does, but he transferred to DII Univ. of Charleston (WV).  Charleston was 40-18 last year and was picked as the favorite to win their conference this year so he landed at a very good DII program.  Good luck down south, Dwayne!