BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludawg6

It is not often that I chime in... HOWEVER... so, lets just reset the SCIAC tourney and replace LaVerne with Pacific??? BS in my mind and quite lazy to take the easy way out...and don't give me this "is all about who they fly in" garbage... the NCAA has the scratch to pay for it... Just lazy in my eyes... maybe the hotel will give them a frequent traveler discount...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ludawg6 on May 16, 2022, 03:22:11 PM
It is not often that I chime in... HOWEVER... so, lets just reset the SCIAC tourney and replace LaVerne with Pacific??? BS in my mind and quite lazy to take the easy way out...and don't give me this "is all about who they fly in" garbage... the NCAA has the scratch to pay for it... Just lazy in my eyes... maybe the hotel will give them a frequent traveler discount...
Respectfully ludawg6, the SCIAC just got big recognition with 2 Pool C bids.

IMHO, they earned them. When you look at who was on the board for those late picks (probably #16 thru #18) the SCIAC teams were the best.

The West Region has been, by far, the strongest region the D3. For review for newcomers, since 2013, Linfield has won.
Trinity TX in 2016
Cal Lu in 2017
UT Tyler (a #6 seed in the Sauget IL regional and probably the last Pool C) beat Texas Lutheran in the Finals for the 2018 crown.
Chapman won in 2019.
No champ in 2020.
Pacific was one-half inning away from going to Cedar Rapids, losing to the national Championship Finalist St Thomas MN in the Regional Finals in 2021.

I thought that the SCIAC was the most competitive conference in the country this year. The traditional powerhouses, NJAC, SUNYAC and WIAC all had strong teams but the SCIAC looked the most unpredictable on a game by game basis.

For once, I am glad that the West Region and SCIAC get the nod on a close call, as happens at the end of the Pool C selections.

Pat Coleman

I agree this is a bad look once again for this tournament.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ludawg6

Done get me wrong, loving the 2 pool C  bids, but if CalLu had not won the tourney there would have been only two...

However... why not give CalLu or PP that best of five host.... I mean Chapman technically didnt have to show up and still get the host and #1 seed...however I understand the logistics-no lights at either PP or CalLu (and this former CalLu baseball alum doesnt have the $$$ to donate those lights)... BUT... they could have flown in both those two teams....

CalLu hasnt hosted a regional since 1997 and that was at Moorpark College because let's face it, our field sucked.... but we now have a beautiful stadium and the committee wont let us show it off... and dont think for a second that Slim didnt put in to host... perennial powerhouse with a 2017 ring and still no nod...

We swept the SCIAC tourney and only get some tshirts and a plaque to show for it....

Reboot next weekend....

A lazy cop-out by the committee in my eyes...

Doesnt matter anyway, our 1990 team would have wiped the floor with all of them!!!

Ralph Turner

ludawg6

Not privy to any of that information,  but this ain't Slim's first rodeo... I would think that he applies every year, but without lights it makes it hard to secure the bid...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 16, 2022, 06:57:01 PM

I agree this is a bad look once again for this tournament.
Respectfully, I consider the SCAIC one of the power conferences in D3 Baseball, to go with the NJAC, SUNYAC and WIAC. The conference has had 2 of the last 4 Champions. It is perfectly plausible for the committee to have considered it worthy of 2 Pool C bids this year. (I will leave the discussion for other power conferences for another time.)

Purple Heys

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

olddog

Beating Oxy in any sport is not a big deal as compared to 15 years ago all pride has been lost,....school has gone in a different direction, the word is not well liked on this board but it rhymes with joke
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Gray Fox

Quote from: olddog on March 13, 2023, 12:09:45 PM
Beating Oxy in any sport is not a big deal as compared to 15 years ago all pride has been lost,....school has gone in a different direction, the word is not well liked on this board but it rhymes with joke
CMS does well in most sports every year.
Fierce When Roused

Purple Heys

Whittier registers first SCIAC W, knocking off Chapman in G2.  The Poets get a good and much needed win; Chapman is once again vexed by Whittier in what has been a not so irregular occurrence.  Whittier has struggled this season but they found their "Chapman Mode" powerup for one game.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on March 20, 2023, 10:41:06 PM
Whittier registers first SCIAC W, knocking off Chapman in G2.  The Poets get a good and much needed win; Chapman is once again vexed by Whittier in what has been a not so irregular occurrence.  Whittier has struggled this season but they found their "Chapman Mode" powerup for one game.

Poets always seem to find a way to beat good teams. It's been a forgettable year for a few SCIAC teams and some that have been really up and down. Will be interesting to see who makes the top 4 and I don't think there is a clear favorite at this point.

DickWhitman

Hello, I'm new here. I've been following the SCIAC for a couple years and I'm excited to watch the tournament. CMS looks like they have a good chance but they'll need to figure out how to beat La Verne.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: DickWhitman on May 09, 2023, 07:30:27 AM
Hello, I'm new here. I've been following the SCIAC for a couple years and I'm excited to watch the tournament. CMS looks like they have a good chance but they'll need to figure out how to beat La Verne.

I am very confident CMS will be selected for a regional regardless of what happens this weekend. I have a few concerns about them overall (close series with Redlands, close games with Whittier and Oxy, and needed two last-AB victories over Caltech). That being said, they have had a great year and are trending in a very positive direction.