FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennethK

Anyone at the SP vs Linfield game in 04.  I know the Pointers gave the Cats a great game.  Do you think we will see the same this year?

fredfalcon

Old School--no tears here for Point's schedule. Falcons begin w/Concordia-St. Paul and Bemidji, two tough division 2 schools. Then they square off w/Pacific Lutheran. What's good? All 3 at home.

What's tough about this new system is to go from All Conference back to rookie as a poster. At least the playing field is still level.  
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

BDB

You are correct on the tough non-conference Falcon schedule, Fred. And as you know, that's nothing new for RF. They had D-2 Chadron on their  schedule for a couple years as well.

pastprime

Kenneth, I was at the '04 Point/Linfield game.  My opinion of it was that the team speed of Linfield took over.  Point was up by 10 at the start of the 4th quarter and Linfield scored the last 3 touchdowns is what I remember.  Points offensive line lost it's dominence as they just could not keep up with the faster Linfield defense.   Point was able to keep the Linfield offense a little off balance in the first half with some blitzing but either stopped or change to a prevent.  Some of the Linfield hopefulls were a little worried until the final interception.  What I also remember was that Linfield didn't quit.  Even with some players playing with severe leg cramps, they would go in for a play and come back out with another cramp.  One of the recievers after having cramped up, ran a punt return back to inside the 5 yard line.  He was faster with one leg than the entire Point team. 

I think you can look for the same type of style of games this year again.  The Pointers will want to play smash mouth and try to stop the lightning fast Cats.  I think that is what the problem is with why the WIAC has had it's problems when it comes time for the playoffs.  They are big and slow compared with the smaller quicker teams. 
I may not have much to say, but I'll say it anyway.

KennethK

PP:  Thanks for the nice report on Sp vs Linfield.  Sounds like Borchart is an excellent QB.  Is camp showing some top-notch replacements at receiver with Romano and Kielblock graduated?

downtown48

Point took the Cats to the limit last year.  They were pretty tough!  Their QB is the real deal for sure.  I would agree about the speed difference and it's not going to get any better for them this year, the grass won't be four inches tall at the Catdome!  Elliott says on the Linfield championship DVD that the Point game was a pivotal part of their season.  Beating a team as good as SP was huge for their confidence.  I would expect another good battle this year, it's fun to see new teams come to town!  Are you guys going to beat those stiffs from LAX this year? ;) Just kidding boys...you guys were tough too, I just couldn't figure out why you were still trying to pound it straight ahead when you were down big. ??? ???

WartTrainer

Just wondering how things are going in warhawk country?

WIACobra

A few things, first off, what's the deal with Oshkosh's quarterback situation?  I know they had Wara and Patek rotating last year.  Patek is a taller kid who also played reciever if I remember.  Is he the starter this season?  He seemed to be able to throw the ball a mile.

Also, in Eau Claire, I think their O-line is the key there.  Karcz and Basken are both looking to have top notch years.  They are both starting for the third straight year, and that's the kind of exp. you need on the o-line for a good running game. 

Plus, they are coming off a huge victory in Europe.  Last time Eau Claire went to Europe, (in 2002) they played St. John's at home the first game also.  They beat them in Overtime.  EC opens this season the same way they did then, St. John's at home.  Interesting...  I think I'll make the drive to come see them.

Now in Lacrosse, I don't think the loss ofHalverson is going to be that big of a problem for them.  Don't get me wrong, he would of been one of the best D players in the league.  But Lacrosse is the one team in the WIAC that can probably start their 2nd string guys and still be competitive. 

Anyways, my predictions this season:

1. Eau Claire (Tie-Breaker)
1. Lacrosse
3. Steven's Point
4. Oshkosh
5. Whitewater
6. Stout
7. Platteville
8. River Falls 

thewayitis

1.Stout
;D
;D
;D
;D
;D
2.Stevens Point
3.LaCrosse
4.Whitewater
5.Platteville
6.EauClaire
7.Oshkosh
8.River Falls

KennethK

Not long ago many WIAC posts had EC number one.  Then the coaches come along and have them 4 or 5.  What's up with that?

WIACobra

I think everyone is afraid of making Lacrosse feel like the underdog.  I couldn't imagine any WIAC school wanting to go into a game against Lacrosse being the favorite to win.  It's hard enough beating Lacrosse when they are favored, I couldn't imagine trying to do it when they are the underdogs.

KennethK

It sure seems that, based on returning players and last year's results EC and SP should be ranked over LX.  Good point that wise coaches tend to play the mind games.  Never did hear a good explanation (from LX) as to what happened in 04 against Linfield. 

voice

There is breaking WIAC basketball news this afternoon.
At a news conference today at UW-Stevens Point, Jack Bennett ended speculation by announcing that he is retiring as head coach of the two-time defendiing NCAA III champion Pointers.
Associate head coach Bob Semling, who has coached under Bennett the past two seasons, has been named interim coach.
The full story is currently on the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel web page.
www.jsonline.com.

Pat Coleman

Or, go figure, the front page of D3hoops.com, where we cover Division III basketball. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

voice

Since this is a WIAC board, and the primary focus right now is football, I thought their might be WIAC fans that haven't been checking out D3Hoops at this time of the year.  Just before I posted, D3hoops had the photo of Jack with just the tease and "more to come."  For the vast majoriity of D3football and d3hoops heads the first place they would go is to the D3hoops.com site.  Sorry I stepped on your lead, but it was a pretty big breaking story here in Wisconsin.  That's why I posted the Journal-Sentinel link.