FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: ITH radio on June 17, 2021, 12:11:58 PM
IC is at Brockport on 9/11 (huge game for both teams).

The Keystone game for Hobart was something set up for homecoming in 2020 but obviously got cancelled. Rowan threw some shade at the Statesmen in their 2021 schedule press release for not honoring year 2 of their "contract" but this happens all the time in D3 (e.g., Fisher did it to Hobart a couple of years ago, hence the MSU add in 2019).

Keystone's HC is a former Mo State guy so I'm sure he's recruited well these past two years. Hobart should win, but I think the Giants will be a little bit  tougher of an out than some may expect.

First year Ithaca is not playing SJF since 1998.  Guessing they will be back on at some point and the dates didn't add up.  Alfred and Brockport are also old rivals as well.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: ITH radio on June 17, 2021, 12:11:58 PM
IC is at Brockport on 9/11 (huge game for both teams).

The Keystone game for Hobart was something set up for homecoming in 2020 but obviously got cancelled. Rowan threw some shade at the Statesmen in their 2021 schedule press release for not honoring year 2 of their "contract" but this happens all the time in D3 (e.g., Fisher did it to Hobart a couple of years ago, hence the MSU add in 2019).

Keystone's HC is a former Mo State guy so I'm sure he's recruited well these past two years. Hobart should win, but I think the Giants will be a little bit  tougher of an out than some may expect.

I don't think it was shade. I'm sure there was a lot of discussion about the move. However, I think Plymouth State has some openings. Haven't seen their full schedule release yet. I think they can at least two home non-conference games.

UfanBill

In case many of you missed it the NCAA re-designated regions of D3 sports to do away with the previous North, South, East and West. Now we have Regions by numbers, 1-6. ::) The Liberty League is now in Region 2 along with the E8, NJAC and CC. The New England schools are in Region 1 along with the MAC. ??? What ramifications has this for scheduling and post season? TBD? Anybody got anything? 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Caz Bombers

Quote from: UfanBill on July 03, 2021, 04:15:27 PM
In case many of you missed it the NCAA re-designated regions of D3 sports to do away with the previous North, South, East and West. Now we have Regions by numbers, 1-6. ::) The Liberty League is now in Region 2 along with the E8, NJAC and CC. The New England schools are in Region 1 along with the MAC. ??? What ramifications has this for scheduling and post season? TBD? Anybody got anything?

Maybe we'll start scheduling Centennial and NJAC opponents OOC for regional record purposes? Besides that I think the differences will be largely cosmetic. ADs and coaches, from what I understand, wanted more teams "on the board" being evaluated against each other at the same time for Pool C bids, so we go from 4 regions to 6 in football and from 8 regions to 10 in other sports.

@d3jason

I am confused how the MAC is in Region I too, instead of the Liberty League or E8.

They always seem to have some pull like when the got move from the South to the East maybe 15 years ago.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: @d3jason on July 06, 2021, 11:57:10 AM
I am confused how the MAC is in Region I too, instead of the Liberty League or E8.

They always seem to have some pull like when the got move from the South to the East maybe 15 years ago.

The LL and the E8 definitely should be together because of all the cross-conference play, and I don't see putting both in Region 1. I am sure that's probably how that happened.

But should it have been the NJAC in Region 1 and MAC and Centennial and LL and E8 in Region 2? Perhaps.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UfanBill

It seems the Pennsylvania based MAC got the "golden ticket" when placed in Region 1 with the New England schools. Especially if the D3 football selection committee uses the MAC strength of schedule in comparison to the other New England teams to rank the Region playoff seeds. I suspect the MAC is very satisfied with the prospects of their champion being perennially seeded #1 in Region 1...Of course placing the 7 LL and the 7 E8 with the 29 New England schools (excluding the NESCAC) would have been more in keeping with the traditional East region we've been accustomed to but I need to emphasize that the new regions encompass all D3 sports while we here are talking football, so football apparently didn't rule the day with the NCAA.

"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 06, 2021, 01:58:23 PM

The LL and the E8 definitely should be together because of all the cross-conference play, and I don't see putting both in Region 1. I am sure that's probably how that happened.

But should it have been the NJAC in Region 1 and MAC and Centennial and LL and E8 in Region 2? Perhaps.

I concur. I believe the NJAC should have been region 1 with MAC and NE conferences. I say that due to how conference schedules are aligning. I'm also thinking that the ECFC may become bidless in some time with some teams joining other NE conferences (how ironic) and others joining NJAC as affiliates. How often are the MAC teams scheduling NE teams? Does the RR rank wins matter by distance?

ITH radio

Quote from: UfanBill on July 03, 2021, 04:15:27 PM
Post season will be the same as prior years - AQs and Pool Cs. The regional rankings will obviously look different but the bracket building process should be relatively the same. I'm sure just like every year, there's going to be a cpl of teams that'll feel like they got passed over for a C bid and some AQs getting in that will strike some fans as BS. Costs like airfare will likely cause some matchups that fans will wish could have been held off until later etc.

So, to put it another way, it's the same, sort of.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Pat Coleman

Yes, it basically means only that two more teams will be on the table at any given time. It might not change the construction of any particular playoff bracket.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

@d3jason

All great points, and it could set up more great field hockey match ups between Messiah and the NESCAC too. (I am not bashing field hockey either, because I have been watching it about five nights a week this summer.)

The NJAC to R-1 does make more sense to me travel-wise but it does seem that a good Region II or VI conference runner up could get stuck underneath somebody. Might that have affected North Central in 2019? Though maybe it gets them on the board earlier because you have fewer teams per region.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: @d3jason on July 07, 2021, 10:31:19 AM
All great points, and it could set up more great field hockey match ups between Messiah and the NESCAC too. (I am not bashing field hockey either, because I have been watching it about five nights a week this summer.)

The NJAC to R-1 does make more sense to me travel-wise but it does seem that a good Region II or VI conference runner up could get stuck underneath somebody. Might that have affected North Central in 2019? Though maybe it gets them on the board earlier because you have fewer teams per region.
Quote from: FANOFD3 on July 07, 2021, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on July 06, 2021, 04:35:46 PM
I suspect they went to six regions in the hopes that East and North teams get a look at playoffs when they were constantly stuck behind the same-old, same-old who were stuck behind the West.  Hence, jam the West more and open up the East and North.  If the committee stays true to selecting the best team available then that will only stack the playoffs with more West teams as the West has been beefed up with the strongest from the South.

We'll have to keep a cynical eye on the selection criteria come the end of the year.  Maybe this was an attempt to stop two teams from coming from each of the MIAC, WIAC and ASC.  Pouring more teams into the Regional Rankings tables could make it harder for a second squad to get considered from these strong conferences.

EDIT: Consider the situation for Hardin-Simmons.  They could find themselves behind two WIAC, two MIAC, MHB, an ARC, and Linfield in the new Region 6 that has one fewer non-AQ spot in the year-end regional ranking table now with the ASC added to the mix.  HSU's spot in that scenario would almost certainly go to one of the new regions split out of the East and North.  And I'm not just picking on HSU.  The same scenario is true for every second team in the MIAC and WIAC.  Possibly even the NWC in some years and the SCIAC, depending on how they come out of their covidian nightmare.

Yup, this was definitely engineered to get one playoff spot out of the ASC/MIAC/WIAC and into the East/North.

Looking at the final RR from 2019 and recreating the rankings for at-large.
Region 1 (MAC, ECFC, CCC, NEWMAC, MASCAC): Stevenson 8-2, Endicott 8-2
Region 2 (NJAC, E8, LL, CC): Wesley (8-1), Susquehanna (9-1), Ithaca (8-2), Hobart (8-2), Brockport (8-2)
Region 3 (USAC, SAA, PAC, ODAC): Randolph-Macon (8-2), Trinity (TX) (8-2)
Region 4 (MIAA, NCAC, HCAC, OAC): John Carroll (8-1), Denison (8-2), Albion (8-2)
Region 5 (CCIW, NACC, ARC, MWC): North Central (IL) (9-1), Wartburg (9-1) ,WashU (7-3)
Region 6 (MIAC, ASC, SCIAC, UMAC, NWC, WIAC) – UWW (8-1), Redlands (9-1),  Texas Lutheran (8-2), Hardin-Simmons (8-2), UW-L (7-2),

Susquehanna runner-up of CC was left on the board 5 times, mainly due to playing a 4-6 Lycoming. The CC has qualities teams in that of Muhlenberg & John Hopkins, but Hopkins schedules pretty well in their only OOC game, which usually allows it to get an at-large most years. John Carroll played UW-SP, which didn't do to well, as such  If either Texas Lutheran doesn't lose to Hendrix or H-S doesn't lose to Tex Luteran, I think they get in above Redlands most year's,  however kudos to Redlands for beating Linfield and Redlands playing 10 games.

Looking back, I think if the 2019 committee were looking at the Board, it would be North Central, UW-W, Wesley, Redlands, Wartburg.

ITH radio

Not official yet, but the ASC is moving out of Region 6. More to come on that soon.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Caz Bombers

Jug game moved to Cortland for some reason, so Ithaca only has 4 home games this year. Feels like the administration just didn't want the hassle of a big crowd in what's still a COVID year - and maybe if they have to restrict attendance and make people mad, they'd rather that be someone else's problem.

UfanBill

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 19, 2021, 04:42:46 PM
Jug game moved to Cortland for some reason, so Ithaca only has 4 home games this year. Feels like the administration just didn't want the hassle of a big crowd in what's still a COVID year - and maybe if they have to restrict attendance and make people mad, they'd rather that be someone else's problem.

Cortland hosted in 2018 and Ithaca was the "home team" in Metlife Stadium in 2019. Since 2020 was a whitewash it's Cortland's turn. Union and Hobart are both visiting Butterfield this fall so they've both lost home games in the series. Seems to me the Bombers should be very happy with that.