Eastern Collegiate Football Conference

Started by ccd494, August 24, 2009, 09:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NED3Guy

WHAT A CRAZY YEAR IN THE ECFC....I try to follow the league pretty closely and week in and week out, I found myself baffled by some of the outcomes. As a result I think my year end W/L on guessing was below .500...Good thing Vegas never took any of my action on ECFC games.

I guess the reality of this league right now is that anybody can beat anybody. Will make for some fun watching in the coming years.

I agree that Alfred State's staff and players have done a great job getting the program moving in the right direction. Coach Linn took over a team that had gone 1-9 three years in a row....they had a tough first year (also going 1-9) but took the team to 4-6 in year two!!!

Not sure how the league coaches will view things when they're looking at post season awards, but Scott Linn and the Alfred State Staff need to be in discussion for ECFC Coach of the Year recognition.

Despite his disappointing game vs Castleton Terrell Watts should be the Player of the Year - 18 TD to 5 INT with a 64% completion percentage in conference play is too good to overlook. If he's not POTY something is wrong.

DPOTY becomes a bit of a guessing game- Tyshawn Anderson from Anna Maria was a force all year, averaging over 12 tackles per game in ECFC play. He also caused 3 fumbles, and blocked 2 kicks.....Alfred State's Brockton Weist had 7 sacks and 10.5 TFL's in 5 conference games...I'm sure there are other guys to think of but those two stand out to me.

OLineman of the year is a tough one to pick based on reading of box scores and talking to fans who were at games....I think the Coaches do a good job of recognizing guys for this award who stand out on film and in person; so I'll stay clear of guessing this one.

Gotta do some more research on Rookie of the year....

MRMIKESMITH

Congrats  to SUNY for winning against a "good" MSJ team. I think this is a good win for the ECFC and East in general.

MRMIKESMITH

Congrats on SUNY-Maritime on it's playoff birth and Dean selection to one of the New England Bowls. For those that are traveling to Salisbury, Salisbury is the capital of the Eastern Shore of the Delmarva peninsula as many of the cities and towns are separated from the other major cities in each state. If you are there the day before, please visit the Salisbury Zoo, Ward Museum, and Evolution Craft Brewery. A lot has change over the last 20-30 years as Salisbury (near campus) has become more "modernized" especially in restaurants.

NED3Guy

Congrats to all the ECFC Award Winners and All Conference selections-

http://www.easterncollegiatefootball.com/general/2019-20/releases/20191121gdtwsh

A lot of young players being selected to the all ECFC teams....a good sign for the league as a whole. Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Player of year are all guys who will be back next year, as well as the Rookie of the year (stating the obvious).

I haven't taken the time to count it up yet, but at quick look it seems like Maritime will be the hardest hit by graduation with a number or seniors making the list. Castleton, Anna Maria, and Dean all seem to have a good number of all ecfc guys back next year....scary to think that Dean brings back 10 guys who were either first or second team ECFC.

Keystone (PA) joins the league next year...time to start researching a bit about them and to see what they bring to the table.

Caz Bombers

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

NED3Guy

With such a large footprint it was an unavoidable decision.

Mass, NYC, DC, VT, PA, Western NY...just too many variables to try and figure out.

Still looks like window is open for schools to find some games in their local area. I haven't looked too hard today, but I don't think we've seen school specific decisions from Castleton, Alfred State, Keystone or AMC.

Pat Coleman

Gallaudet also has not made a school-level announcement.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

G-manWU

Hi folks, longtime MAC poster and NEPA resident here. This story ran in two of our local newspapers on Thanksgiving morning, detailing how the four D3 football programs in the area (Keystone, as well as MAC members Wilkes, King's, and Misericordia) have adapted to recruiting challenges in light of the COVID-19 pandemic:

https://www.citizensvoice.com/sports/college/local-college-football-coaches-reinvent-recruiting-during-pandemic/article_54977168-9c16-5383-8694-d64693160aef.html

Caz Bombers

SUNY Maritime moving football program to the NEWMAC effective with the 2023 season.

https://www.newmacsports.com/sports/fball/2020-21/releases/20210621c4jp3a

This will put the ECFC in Pool B for the 2025 campaign, but I suppose that's ample time to find a 7th member somewhere.

MRMIKESMITH

Updated Open Dates:
Anna Maria - 9/4 (Wk1), 10/9 (Wk 6)
Gallaudet - 9/4 (Wk1), 9/11 (Wk2), 9/18 (Wk 3), 10/30 (Wk 9)
SUNY-Maritime - 9/4 (Wk1), 10/23 (Wk 8)
Misericordia - 9/4 (Wk 1), 11/13 (Wk 11)
Curry - 9/25 (Wk 4), 10/23 (Wk 8)
UNE - 9/25 (Wk 4), 10/16 (Wk 7)
MIT - 9/18 (Wk 3), 10/9 (Wk 6)
Merchant Marine - 9/11 (Wk 2), 11/6 (Wk 10)
Salisbury - 9/18 (Wk 3), 10/9 (Wk 6)
Rowan - 9/18 (Wk 3), 10/9 (Wk 6)
TCNJ - 9/18 (Wk 3), 10/30 (Wk 9)
Kean - 9/18 (Wk 3), 11/6 (Wk 10)

Updated Playing Matchmaker - If Kean and Merchant Marine reschedule their matchup from 9/25 to 11/6. We can fill out the schedule as noted.

Merchant Marine v. Curry - 9/25
Kean v. UNE - 9/25
Salisbury v. MIT - 10/9
Gallaudet v. Misericordia - 9/4
Gallaudet v. TCNJ - 10/30
Anna Maria v. Rowan - 10/9

NED3Guy

Really don't have much to say yet....but wanted to post something so the ECFC board moves up the chart.

Nice to see a few ECFC wins over MASCAC...albeit against Fitchburg (Dean / Castleton) and Plymouth (Castleton). Not sure if either of those wins will look any good at years end as I've heard some stories about Plymouth and Fitchburg's struggles this year.

Despite being 0-2 Alfred State might be putting together the best OOC resume of all the ECFC teams so far. A competitive game against Utica (one possession game with 5min left in third) and a one point loss vs Rochester; might be more impressive than anything we've seen from the ECFC so far.

Sounds like Dean's offense is still really explosive.
Sounds like Castleton's defense is LEGIT.
Sounds like the AMCAT's should have beaten Nichols (admittedly I know nothing about Nichols...but have been told that's a good sign for AMCAT U.)
Sounds like SUNY D is really solid...... as is Sunny D.

Not sure we'll learn much this week based on the scheduled games. AMCATS play Mass Maritime...that could be a good game.

2-0 Castleton hosts 0-2 Norwich in the big Maple Sap game of Vermont. Norwich has played two good teams, but has not looked good. Castleton has played two bad teams and has looked really good. Not sure either is a true representation of who they are....but we'll all find out on Saturday.

NED3Guy

Well this post really looks like it was ages ago...I guess in a D3 football season 3 weeks does qualify as "ages".

Some stuff I thought back in week 3 (in BOLD)
Sounds like Dean's offense is still really explosive.
Eh...I don't think this is true anymore. Yes they have big play talent and can break off some chunk plays as good as anybody in the ECFC. They still might have the best offensive player in the league at WR....But I'm going to call myself wrong on this one and say they aren't as explosive as I once thought.

Sounds like Castleton's defense is LEGIT.
Two shutouts to start the season looked really good going into week three. Turns out thsoe two shutouts were against two teams who are a combined 0-9, and have been shutout 5 times (3 for Fitchburg, 2 for Plymouth)...turns out the two weeks of scoreless football were not that great. In the three weeks since they've allowed Norwich (28), St. Lawrence (55) and SUNY (19) to each score season high points. Castleton D has some playmakers in their front 7, but I'm rescinding my all caps LEGIT status that I gave them in week 3. They're a good D and that should carry them to a few nice wins in ECFC play moving forward.

Sounds like the AMCAT's should have beaten Nichols (admittedly I know nothing about Nichols...but have been told that's a good sign for AMCAT U.)
AMCATS are good. They have it rolling and have officially earned "team to beat" status in the ECFC. Big credit to the coaches and players for getting this program on the track it's on....have to start thinking coach Mul is going to be moving on in the coming years. The guy has an energy about him that people want to be around and it's spread to that entire program. Cool to see. Will be interesting to see how the season plays out for them.

Sounds like SUNY D is really solid...... as is Sunny D. - Still TBD. A few nice showings so far this season. Last weekend they looked sharp against Castleton; allowing a kick return TD and a 51 yard TD run. Made some stops when they needed to, forcing 9 punts and from a quick look at the box score SEVEN 3 and outs. If thats true, I think the SUNY D could be pretty dang good. We'll see...One thing for sure, SUNNY D is awesome. Great drink.

New things I think-

Gallaudet might be pretty...pretty....pretty, good.... As mentioned above, I'm not sure what to make of Dean and they appear down; but when a team goes for almost 400 yards (393) and doesn't complete a pass (0-4 passing) I gotta think something good is going on.

Alfred State is good....coming off their bye week to open league play at home vs SUNY, followed by a home game with AMCATs then a trip to DC; I think people who follow this league will be talking about Alfred State a lot in the coming weeks. Will they run the table in October and beat all three of those teams? I don't think so...will they go 2-1 and make the ECFC standings a mess that nobody can figure out until the end of the season? Yes...I think that'll happen.

Keystone will win a game this year....credit to them for getting started during a pandemic and holding it together well enough to be competitive. They'll be alright and somebody is going to get caught sleeping against them in the ECFC.

I'll post some thoughts on the week ahead tomorrow or Friday

NED3Guy

ECFC League Play Week 2 Preview-

SUNY (1-3 / 1-0) at Alfred State (1-3 / 0-0) - This is the ECFC Game of the Week in my eyes. Alfred State has done some stuff in the non-league portion of their schedule that makes me think they're a dark-horse contender for the ECFC AQ. SUNY didn't do much of anything in their non-league schedule but had a nice win against Castleton last week. Alfred State can score, as evident by their 21 and 27 points against Utica and UofR...I think they come out of this one on top: Alfred State 28, SUNY 24

Castleton (2-3 / 0-1) at Dean (1-4 / 0-1) - I don't have a clue what to think of this one. Dean let GallU run all over them last weekend (393 yards) but also put up 500 yards of O for themselves. Spartans came out hot vs two bad teams to start the year, but have looked pretty average since then, especially on the offensive side of things. I don't expect Dean to put up the yardage that they had vs GallU when facing the Spartans D; but I do think Dean will have success in the air...can the Spartan O keep up? .... I don't think so; Dean 35- Spartans 21 (with a defensive score in there).

Keystone (0-5 / 0-1) at Gallaudet (3-0 / 1-0) - I picked Keystone to win a game this season, but this won't be it. Gall U has their option O firing like the good old days. Hard to prepare for in just a week....I think we see more of the GallU running attack putting up numbers today. GallU 42 - Keystone 21

Player of the week- Gall U QB
DPOTW - Somebody from Alfred State
Rookie of the week - Alfred State LB
Special Teams - Dean Punt returner.

NED3Guy

ECFC Power Rankings -

1) Alfred State
T2) AMCAT U
T2) Gallaudet
4) SUNY
5) Castleton
6) Dean
7) Keystone

Great lineup of games this week....AMCATS v Alfred State could be the biggest game of the year when it's all said and done. (Not going to sleep on Gallaudet, but AMCATS v Alfred State has the makings of a mid-season championship type game)

More to come....