Hoopsville: Division III Basketball's Talk Show

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, January 07, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LustyLarryintheToilet

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2011, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 06, 2011, 01:09:49 PM
I bring this question from the ODAC board where the lamentations of the RMC fans are plainly read.

I ask the opinions of the Hoopsville BrainTrust.

How much home court advantage is there against a team:

that buses less than 3 hours?

that buses more than 3 hours?

that is flown to the site?
I did not hear any opinions on the show(forgive me if I missed it) and had no responses on the ODAC board.

How about 3 points for less than 3 hours, 4 points for more than 3 hours and 7 points for a plane flight?

Honestly, i'm not sure the flight has anything to do with it.  In reality, a 2 hour plane ride is less tightening for an athlete than a 7 hour bus ride.  You talked about it the other day in referencing what really makes up "home court advantage," which for those who didnt see it had to do with the ability of a home crowd to influence referees. 

Pat Coleman

I had a coach tell me once that for a team that's not accustomed to it, getting on a plane is 20 points. Now, I don't agree with that assessment, but it's out there.

I am not sure I want to start assigning general point values for different types of games because there are way too many factors.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

John Gleich

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 07, 2011, 02:08:28 PM
I had a coach tell me once that for a team that's not accustomed to it, getting on a plane is 20 points. Now, I don't agree with that assessment, but it's out there.

I am not sure I want to start assigning general point values for different types of games because there are way too many factors.

I totally agree.  And with such vastly different styles of play, how can it really be quantified?  Are you going to be playing a William Patterson and struggle to score 60, or are you going to be playing an up-tempo team like Eastern Mennonite and have a game that's probably in the 80's?

There are simply more possessions to be had going against a team like EMU than Willy Pat... so the chance of there being a blow out is greater.

If you look at teams like Augustana or St. Thomas, they play most of their games possession by possession... and each possession matters, so lots of their games are closer.  Amherst plays more possessions per game and they run teams off the floor with relative frequency.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Ralph Turner

I came to the 7 point swing from observing the ASC as its teams (usually McMurry and UT-Dallas) flew to games in other parts of the country and then observed teams that came to Texas, at both UMHB and Concordia-Texas and the Trinity/Southwestern teams.  Occasionally we would have snowbirds come to HPU and Schreiner.  As I looked at the indexes and the yearly outcomes on home-and-home series, it seemed that a 14 point swing mght occur in the margin from one year to the next, or in the "comparative scores" game.

If there were more possessions in an up-tempo game, then that swing might be +/- 8-9 points.

In 2009-10 McMurry lost by 16-18 at Wheaton.  It was quite clear that those refs and fans were shocked and appalled for what passes for basketball in a football state like Texas.  McMurry beat UT-Dallas last season, 2009-10.  (McMurry, UTD, UMHB and a few others are a big mish-mash of comparable quality in the ASC.) UT-Dallas beat Wheaton in the second round of the playoffs on the last possession in Dallas.  That is where I got the 7 point swing.

Specifically, if Augie beats UMHB by 17, then I'll bet that Augie would only edge UMHB by 3 in a game played in Belton, TX, and beat them by 10 on a neutral floor, e.g., UW-SP.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 08, 2011, 01:58:45 PM
I came to the 7 point swing from observing the ASC as its teams (usually McMurry and UT-Dallas) flew to games in other parts of the country and then observed teams that came to Texas, at both UMHB and Concordia-Texas and the Trinity/Southwestern teams.  Occasionally we would have snowbirds come to HPU and Schreiner.  As I looked at the indexes and the yearly outcomes on home-and-home series, it seemed that a 14 point swing mght occur in the margin from one year to the next, or in the "comparative scores" game.

If there were more possessions in an up-tempo game, then that swing might be +/- 8-9 points.

In 2009-10 McMurry lost by 16-18 at Wheaton.  It was quite clear that those refs and fans were shocked and appalled for what passes for basketball in a football state like Texas.  McMurry beat UT-Dallas last season, 2009-10.  (McMurry, UTD, UMHB and a few others are a big mish-mash of comparable quality in the ASC.) UT-Dallas beat Wheaton in the second round of the playoffs on the last possession in Dallas.  That is where I got the 7 point swing.

Specifically, if Augie beats UMHB by 17, then I'll bet that Augie would only edge UMHB by 3 in a game played in Belton, TX, and beat them by 10 on a neutral floor, e.g., UW-SP.
Roughly what I expected.  UMHB last tied the score at 22 with 6:36 left in the first half.  Augie  began to pull away to a 37-30 halftime lead.  

Augie went ahead by 58-30 with 10:40 left and 61-42 with 6:42 left.  Final Augie 70-57.

Boxscore

Ralph Turner

I propose that the 7 point home court advantage to the team hosting an opponent who has flown* applies in the Wooster-Whitworth  game as well.

This game is Wooster 69,  Whitworth 64 with 0:41 secs and Wooster's ball.  It becomes a frantic "3FGA and foul 'em" contest for Whitworth from there out.  Look how the 7-point Home Court Advantage changes the nature of the game from the play-by-play in the entire game.

http://www.woosterathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/boxscores/20110312_2wc5.xml?view=plays

(*3-time zones east as well)

Ralph Turner

When is the first episode of Hoopsville?

On what nights will it be broadcast?

Thanks.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ralph - we will be providing some small pre-taped shows between now and January as we have found that listernship is just not there for the live version of the show until we get to January. I (we) are also very busy with the cross-over season and that takes a toll on the time I prepare for the show.

However, I hope to maybe have a small show ready next week or shortly after Thanksgiving with other mini-shows to follow. Stay tuned for more info.

And don't forget to follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/hoopsville) and on Twitter (@d3hoopsville).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

In case you missed the announcement on the Hoopsville Facebook page (just "like" our page at www.facebook.com/Hoopsville) or on Twitter (follow us @d3hoopsville or #hoopsville)... Hoopsville will tip-off it's season this Thursday, January 5th!

We will be on the air from 8-10 PM on Thursdays this season and 7-9 PM EST on Sundays... we will be also adding some new segments like "Why D3" and some other "stuff."

Let us know how we are doing... and other thoughts you would like to share!

Dave
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Did you miss the season premiere of Hoopsville? Probably... or even if you didn't... the archive is already available. Click here to enjoy it. We will also try editing out each interview if time allows in the coming days.

And I should remind everyone that you can follow us on many different platforms now.
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
Ustream: www.ustream.tv/channel/hoopsville

I don't think I left anything out... don't be a stranger!

And thanks to Transylvania head coach Brian Lane for the shout-out on Twitter and the great picture with his team in Vegas at the D3hoops.com Classic (see below!)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Make sure you tune into tonight's Hoopsville:

#4 Augustana Coach Grey Giovanine
#18 Mary Washington Coach Deena Applebury
#22 Birmingham-Southern Coach Chris Graves

Plus an interview with NCAA Vice President for Division III Dan Dutcher and a New England regional report from Rusty Eggen.

Starts at 7 PM EST at www.d3hoopsville.com - and make sure you check out the links above!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

CruFrenzy

Is any of the Division 3 National tournament on ESPN or any major TV network? Or atleast the finals? Any info anyone?
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

No... and hasn't been for years! CBS Sports Network (previously CBS College Sports Network... previously College Sports TV) did air the championship games a few years ago, but now Turner has the rights and they and the NCAA broadcast the semifinals and championship games only online.

CruFrenzy

Oh that stinks. A huge shame too. People need to realize that Division 3 basketball is not much farther behind Division 1 basketball, the only difference is speed, only sometimes. But forsure height. In fact, it seems like division three teams probably shoot better than the big boys. I sure wish they would broadcast the games on tv.
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)