WBB: Empire 8

Started by Eliazabeth Brown, October 31, 2004, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombers15

From the limited knowledge I have of the women's side, I think Fisher has finally displaced Ithaca as the favorite in the conference. This is their one year to make some noise as many of their top players are seniors and have spent their first three years playing second fiddle to Ithaca.

The Bombers are in the midst of a rebuilding year. Considering they've dominated that conference for so long, they're more than entitled to one year of not dominating the conference. They're still a pretty decent team though their record going into conference play will be atrocious because of the brutal schedule they've played so far, including games this week @Bowdoin and @Southern Maine...two of the top 5 teams in the nation. Ithaca's still the conference champs until someone proves otherwise.

Hartwick is tough at home but was usually an echelon below Fisher and Ithaca. They should be tough this year, though, and if they can finally win an E8 tourney game or two, the Hawks could be dancin.

Utica is an up-and-coming women's team. They've continuously improved over the past five years or so. I saw them sophomore year and senior year(2003-04) and the improvement was dramatic. The conference is weaker than it usually is so they could make it into the E8 tourney if they can find a way to win on the road.

Not sure how Naz's team is this year. RIT, Elmira and Alfred won't make that much noise.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

patroonbball

Could be Hartwick's year. They really need a point guard but Wilson and the two big kids give them three options. If they can break the press, it could be their's for the taking.

hoopfan17

Quote from: patroonbball on January 01, 2006, 06:54:09 PMThey really need a point guard but Wilson and the two big kids give them three options. [/b]

When you say they really need a point guard what do you consider Wilson then, is she not leading the conference in assists by a significant amount?  Also what two big kids are you talking about?  As for Fisher winning the conference I wouldn't hold your breath, they always start out the conference well and then somehow they drop off...so don't get too high on them winning the conference, we'll see how they're playing when the important games come.

bigchief

Hartwick really hasn't had a point guard since the beginning of last season. Had a freshman who showed promise, but left team during the season. Has since transferred to another school.  Wilson isn't really a point guard regardless of her assist stats. The two big girls mentioned are Knight and Adams. Hartwick doesn't have much size when either of these two is not on the floor.

lileyes

Wilson's assist stats are impressive, however while averaging around 7 assists a game, she averages between 8 and 9 turnovers a game.  That may be what bigcheif is talking about in not being a "real" point gaurd. 

hoopfan17

Bigchief, I was just wondering where you thought the Tichy kid stands, she is the third highest scorer Hartwick, but you did not mention her as an option.  Also I heard she was an all conference pick last year.  True Knight and Adams are options and do add size, but the freshman Harris is quite promising at times, or at least from what I've seen of her.

hoopfan17

Correction on Hartwick it's Danee Harrison as the promising freshman.

bigchief

I'd like to make it clear frrom the very start that any of my comments are not to be construed as being critical of any of the Hartwick players. Wilson is a fine player, but not a point guard. She plays point because there are no real alternatives on the team. Tichy is a fine player. She plays with injury and has more heart than most who step on the court. Harrison, the freshman, is a fine addition to the team. If she keeps working hard I see a bright future for her at the 'Wick. Also the promising freshman point guard, the one who left the team, was on the team last year. I hope that clears up any of my prior statements.
Hartwick has some talent.  I wish them well.

hoopfan17

Injuries may ultimately be the downfall to the Hartwick season.  Anytime you have a short bench and you continue to bang in practice those everyday bumps and bruises can continue to wear on them during the long season. 

How does everyone think the season will pan out?  Who will make the conference tournament?

dewcrew88

Quote from: hoopfan17 on January 18, 2006, 10:31:45 PM
Injuries may ultimately be the downfall to the Hartwick season.  Anytime you have a short bench and you continue to bang in practice those everyday bumps and bruises can continue to wear on them during the long season. 

How does everyone think the season will pan out?  Who will make the conference tournament?

Utica. ;)

bigchief

Quote from: hoopfan17 on January 18, 2006, 10:31:45 PM

Hoopfan17 it looks as if your words rang true last night. Hartwick loses to Ithaca in double overtime 79-75. Hartwick had only seven show up in the box score. Tough to hang with a team that can send fresh legs into the game. This is the 2nd game 'Wick went into dbl overtime, vs Oneonta, losing a close one. They need to do something on the "Hill" to attract and keep more players.

lileyes

What's worse is that now Hartwick has to come back from playing a double OT game with 7 players and play a tough Elmira team less than 24 hours later...

bigchief

A good team, Elmira, beats Hartwick 66-50. Elmira shows 16 players on it's roster. Hartwick has maybe 10?  It has to make a difference in practice, which has to make a difference in games.
Playing a dbl OT game the night before is no excuse, but you have to know it makes a difference when you play 7.

patroonbball

Wilson can be point, but she is  natural 2. She plays the point because they have no other choice. I saw the game against Union and when Wilson wasn't bringing the ball up, Adams- the center was - so the lack of a point is their second biggest problem right now. The biggest is that they only have 7 players. With the Empire Firday-Saturday schedule now, it is almost impossible to do anything, unless you have 10 contrubtors.

lileyes

Fisher has a huge weekend knocking off Elmira (arguably the 2nd best team in the conference) and beating Ithaca by 13. 

Utica kills Naz by 30 on Friday night and somehow loses to RIT Saturday afternoon.