2015 West Regional - Tyler, TX

Started by Westside, April 24, 2015, 10:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 08, 2015, 06:48:28 PM
Even if they awarded the West an 8-team regional, it would not have any effect on who was chosen. The Pool B/C bids are awarded nationally, not regionally. So a larger west regional does not mean more west teams invited. You still need to be one of the top 14 teams on the table in the eyes of the committee when selections are awarded.

Agreed, but I don't think my point was that there would be 8 West teams invited, just that all of the travel (by air) would/could be in one regional.  I can see where my questions sounded as if there would be 8 West teams but that is not what it was supposed to sound like.  The West makes up about 10% of D3 and there is no way they would get 8 teams in.

108 Stitches

Just got home from dinner and checked the UTT /CTX game and watched Wilson's of UTT hit a 3 run HR in the top of the 9th with 2 out, to go up 6-5 and hold on for the W. They go to the championship game.

Ron Boerger

It's a long way from here, but Oberlin's (18-26) shocking NCAC championship means Wooster (36-9) will likely get a pool C bid, making it that much harder for a CTX to get one if they don't win the ASC.   The Tornadoes face elimination against UT-D this morning, the winner of that game will have to defeat UT-Tyler twice to claim the ASC championship.

BTW, Oberlin had NEVER won a men's NCAC title - in ANY sport - since joining the conference in 1984.  They made it to the NCAC championship (defeating Wooster in the process), lost to Wooster 23-6 in their first attempt prior to pulling off the upset in the rubber game, 11-5.

108 Stitches

Even though this it is early I am postulating on some seedings:

Assuming UTT wins the ASC.

1. PLU
2. UTT
3. TBD
4. Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. LaVerne

Whitworth could move up to 3 depending on who they bring in. With so many top national seeds getting knocked off I doubt CTX, CLU or Linfield end up in the West, this will really depend on what happens nationally the next two days.

If CTX wins the ASC.

1. PLU
2. UTT
3. Whitworth
4. CTX
5. Trinity
6. LaVerne

With what is happening with the weather and forecasts, (thunderstorms) teams with the deepest pitching should have an advantage with lots of stops and starts possible.

108 Stitches

Well things get interestinger....

CTX loses 9-8 in a wild game to TD.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 09, 2015, 05:14:25 PM
Well things get interestinger....

CTX loses 9-8 in a wild game to TD.

Wild game.  I was going to wait on my prediction for the West but I think Concordia losing makes it possible for me to do so right now.

1. UTT or PLU (I think UTT gets it if they win the ASC Championship in 1 game)
2. UTT or PLU
3. UW Stevens Point
4. Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. La Verne

Concordia doesn't get in after adding 2 losses this weekend.  They were already behind Cal Lu in the regional rankings and with CLU not getting in, there is no way Concordia would jump them.  The reason for UWSP is so the WIAC doesn't have 3 teams in the same regional and thats why Linfield isn't sent to Tyler, if they make it at all, to avoid 3 NWC teams in the same regional.  I could also see Birmingham Southern getting shipped to Tyler but I'm pretty sure they would go to Piedmont since it's a bus ride.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Whatagame

And if per chance UTD takes two for the AQ, who stays home, UTT or PLU?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Whatagame on May 09, 2015, 05:40:55 PM
And if per chance UTD takes two for the AQ, who stays home, UTT or PLU?

Oh geez, I hadn't even thought about it.  I would say neither of them stays home, someone wouldn't be shipped in and it would be an all West regional.

1. PLU
2. UTT
3. Whitworth
4. Trinity
5. La Verne
6. UT Dallas

Whatagame

I would hope that would be the case Jack, and that seeding would feature at least two two fabulous first game pitching match ups- PLU/UTD and Whitworth/Trinity

108 Stitches

With UTT winning the ASC, here is my guess:

1. PLU
2. UTT
3. Millsaps
4. Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. LaVerne

I am not sure about rankings so Whitworth and Millsaps they could swap places, but that won't matter with first games.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 09, 2015, 09:00:53 PM
With UTT winning the ASC, here is my guess:

1. PLU
2. UTT
3. Millsaps
4. Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. LaVerne

I am not sure about rankings so Whitworth and Millsaps they could swap places, but that won't matter with first games.

Millsaps would be a good match since they could bus in but being #5 in the regional rankings plays against them.  There have been a lot of upsets in conference tournaments and I'm not sure a #5 RR will be good enough to get them in.  However, the NCAA not releasing the final RR's would make an easy way for them to slip Millsaps in and if so, I think it shows that the bean-counters made the decision.  I would also think they could be more of a 3-4 seed if they did go there.  Here is my updated prediction.

1. UTT
2. PLU
3. UW Stevens Point
4. Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. La Verne

If Millsaps got in, I could see it like this:

1. UTT
2. PLU
3. Millsaps or Whitworth
4. Millsaps or Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. La Verne

It really is a toss-up for the 3-4 seeded teams but I am pretty confident UTT and PLU will be 1-2 (in either order) and Trinity will be 5 and ULV 6.  I'll make my prediction on who wins the West once they announce the bracket.

SoCalSoxFan

Why would Milsap, if they are #5 I'm their region, earn a pool C bid?
Are we saying the other 4 ahead of them from their region also get in?
And as a #5 they are ranked higher than #4 West?

I agree Linfield will get a Pool C outside of West.  They won't have three NWC in same regional pool.

As a regional #5 in west, CTX loss and inability to make finals will drop them out of Top 6.
Or, at the very least drop them to 6.

If TT doesn't get pool A,
TT would drop to #3 or #4 in region.
PLU would get one Pool C bid.
Linfield would get Pool C in another region.
Highest regional rank between TT and CLU gets in as second Pool C.
West 3 seed will be higher ranked than other regions comparable 3&4 seeds.

If TT does get Pool A,
PLU gets one Pool C.  Linfield as 3rd in region gets sent out.
CLU would then be west #4 but will be outside looking I as i don't thing the super secret rankings would take #4 in west.
This means another region would get flown in as second Pool C.

So, basically, only Pool A and Pool C from west 1-3 would get in.

BigPoppa

Another wrench in the plan is Webster (#1 in Central) losing the SLIAC title. They are a lock for a Pool C now and will likely bump another bubble team out.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

108 Stitches

BP is correct in that the committee will be looking at National seeds, and then they will look at logical locations. In SOS Millsaps is:

67 Millsaps   27-11   .711   .5376 (111)   .5529   0.543

and CLU is:

180 Cal Lutheran   32-12   .727   .5162 (183)   .5198   0.517

Millsaps will likely get the nod as they have played a much tougher schedule.

I agree that Linfield will be shipped somewhere other than the West.

I am pretty sure they will seed it like:

1. PLU
2. UTT
3. Millsaps
4. Whitworth
5. Trinity
6. LaVerne

They might give UTT the top seed due to winning their conference, but I am thinking that PLU's SOS will give them the nod.

Ron Boerger

You know, it's sad enough that we don't get a selection show from the NCAA, but then they issue the release at midnight.    If the association wanted to say "we don't give a d*** about a major Division III sport," they've done a fine job.

There's a selection show for freaking Division III ROWING, for crying out loud.     Three Pool A bids, three pool B/C bids.    Woo.