2021 NCAA D3 Tourney

Started by hopefan, November 16, 2020, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Hate to say it, but I'm hearing serious rumors that the tourney is not going to happen...

What do all of our experts think?

Or is it already fact?
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on November 16, 2020, 02:00:44 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm hearing serious rumors that the tourney is not going to happen...

What do all of our experts think?

Or is it already fact?

Not sure where you are hearing rumors when they are no where close to making such a decision. I am sure you are hearing coaches who are speculating, but that is wholly different than rumors based on anything.

Could the committees be discussing it? Absolutely. They have to talk about all their options, but just last week they came out with adjustments (second or third adjustments so far) to the tournaments. We reported on it on Saturday: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/11/division-iii-winter-championships-pandemic-format

As we have been reporting especially on Twitter (@d3hoopsville and @d3hoops - even @davemchugh), the tournaments have already been reduced to 48-team events and will take place over basically two weekends. The brackets would be announced on March 7 and champions crowned by March 20.

Also, opening weekend will be at predetermined sites not necessarily to the highest ranked or geographical host decided on that week. And there are a host of other decisions that have been made.

As we reported in the story above, AQs can still be handed out in conferences as long as they have at least four core members participating in a tournament. Also, we know that the AQ number has been reduced from 44 to 35 with nine conferences, so far, calling off all winter sports competition and tournaments (though, only two conferences have also had all their members call off sports; most conferences have allowed their schools to make individual decisions on winter competition). (Story on conference and school decisions, here: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/11/winter-is-coming-but-who-will-play - constantly being updated when we learn more information.)

There has been a lot of moving parts in the last two months. There are going to be a number of decisions between now and early December with more decisions coming in January from schools, conferences, and committees. Follow us on the websites (D3hoops.com and D3sports.com) and check us out on our social media channels (because that is sometimes where we can keep up with the news the fastest). I know I am reporting as soon as I am able to nail down particulars and information.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Thanks for the info Dave.

If I were I betting man (and I am) -- I would bet a lot of money that there will be no 2021 NCAA D3 tournament. Just looking at the scientific data from respected sources like Johns Hopkins and University of Washington, February and March are the expected peaks in hospitalizations in numerous states. I hope they are wrong, but so far they have been too conservative in their estimations.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I'd be lying if I said the tournaments were absolutely going to happen. I have been talking to many coaches and admins in the last few months (really non-stop since last March except maybe a lull between April and May) and there aren't any who don't express their skepticism. However, many have also been optimistic while being, mostly, realistic.

They all want these things to happen. And with only about 10% of the division (school wise which is important) has called off winter sports, things look good. But it doesn't take much to reach 40-50% which will likely force the issue to cancel winter sports (fall sports official line was 50% for cancelation of tournament; I've been told with winter sports, since there are far higher numbers, 40% could be the breaking point).

I want these to happen ... I really do ... but every time we have a chance in this country to get a better hold of this virus, we get lazy and the numbers skyrocket. We aren't helping student-athletes even if they are doing everything they can to stay safe by being stupid ourselves.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

I posted in SLIAC room just now... the SLIAC has come out with a 10 game conference schedule that starts in late February and runs through March to beginning April........  a conference tourney will follow including all teams...there will be a consolation round  to allow each team a minimum of two games in the tourney....   Note...The consolation round was scrapped

Therefore the SLIAC would not be able to participate in the NCAA Tourney if it is played....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That would seem to be the case. We shall see.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that the the DIII Championships Committee has decided that basketball has to have 60% participation for the NCAA tournament to move forward. That means if 40% or more call off playing, the tournament will pretty much be done.

Roughly that means we need 250 schools to still be playing - or not lose more than about 170.

Currently we have about 60 or so schools who will not be playing: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/11/winter-is-coming-but-who-will-play

ronk

If no NCAA tourney, maybe there will still be the ECAC Championship tourney.  ;)

D3RetiredHooper

Call off playing or call off being eligible for the tournament/having an AQ for their conference. 

I'm sure there will be a large portion of teams/conferences that start late and will not have a tournament champion by the time the NCAA Tournament is set to commence.

hopefan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 02, 2020, 10:44:15 AM
I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that the the DIII Championships Committee has decided that basketball has to have 60% participation for the NCAA tournament to move forward. That means if 40% or more call off playing, the tournament will pretty much be done.

Roughly that means we need 250 schools to still be playing - or not lose more than about 170.

Currently we have about 60 or so schools who will not be playing: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/11/winter-is-coming-but-who-will-play
Very interesting

I wonder about the next step down... who will still be automatic qualifiers...for example, what if a conference has only 5 of 8 or 5 of 9 playing...will they still have an auto spot, or be put into the "C" group...

I also note the SLIAC is not included in the Noteables list... given their published schedule, they would not be participating in the tourney....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on December 02, 2020, 12:00:41 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 02, 2020, 10:44:15 AM

Very interesting

I wonder about the next step down... who will still be automatic qualifiers...for example, what if a conference has only 5 of 8 or 5 of 9 playing...will they still have an auto spot, or be put into the "C" group...

I also note the SLIAC is not included in the Noteables list... given their published schedule, they would not be participating in the tourney....

Conferences are allowed to give their AQ as long as four teams are playing a conference schedule.  Some conferences have already called off the AQ, even if some individual teams play, but for others, the door remains open.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CNU85 on December 03, 2020, 12:12:52 PM
There goes another season

https://www.cnusports.com/news/2020/12/2/general-coast-to-coast-athletic-conference-announces-cancellation-of-all-fall-and-winter-competition.aspx

Season isn't over ... schools can schedule games if allowed by school, region, state, etc. and follow the rules by any and all entities.

Season isn't over until the school says so.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It has been awhile since we had a show - we apologize. The basketball season technically started as scheduled on November 6, but not a lot of teams took the court thanks to the ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic. So how are those who are playing getting on the floor?

This marks the first of three podcasts tackling the challenge of COVID-19 for college across the county in Division III. In the trio of shows, we will talk to those who are playing, who have had seasons canceled, and who are making decisions behind the scenes at institutions.

In this first podcast, Dave McHugh chat with two coaches who are currently playing games, Greenville men's coach Dr. George Barber and Hardin-Simmons' women's coach Kendra Hassell. Hear how each program, along with athletic department and institution, is getting their teams on the court in competition. What steps each are taking to play, stay safe from the coronavirus, and even find games to play.

We also get a reminder of The System utilized by Barber at Greenville and the experience of playing four Division I programs in just a week.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3mkbzAj

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. We hope to start live, video, shows sometime in January.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

PauldingLightUP

Hello Dave, great first pod. The first 20 minutes did indeed make sense and I was able to understand it. Good information. Doubleheaders on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at 16 total sites would be fun, but it's sad to see where this is headed already. 2022 will be the most anticipated championship in years!