BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearkat00

BTW - I am going to be at the UTT - TLU game.  Pretty excited about watching two top notch programs go at it.  Give you the details tomorrow!

Ralph Turner

McM 4 MissColl 1

DH will be broadcast on MissColl's web site.

CUAfan

CUA 12, Ozarks 8 (10 innings)

CUA scores 4 in the top of the 10th and holds on for the win. CUA goes to 4-0 against the East.
Let's go 'Nados!

Ralph Turner

McM splits with the Choctaws today.

Nick Schafer pitches a complete game 2 hitter for a 1-0 win in the opener.  MC wins the nightcap 5-3.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Bearkat00 on March 02, 2007, 03:52:15 PM
BTW - I am going to be at the UTT - TLU game.  Pretty excited about watching two top notch programs go at it.  Give you the details tomorrow!

I was busy Friday, but I was hoping to make it over for Saturday's game, but no such luck.  I heard some things though so tell me if you agree with any Bearkat.

- UT Tyler is the better team at this point in the season.
- Texas Lutheran was pretty competitive on Saturday playing two very close games (and having a chance to win in both), despite not having their best player SS Jake Kaase in the lineup.
- UT Tyler is as deep as anyone in D3 on the mound with a very good bullpen and any number of guys they can go to.
- That the umpiring seemed to favor UT Tyler quite a bit (even expanded zones until the third game with Besa on the bump).
- UT Tyler's coach was bunting in the bottom of the 8th up nine runs in the first game.
- Copeland played well, but Damewood (along with Elizondo) might be better hitters in the ASC East.
- UT Tyler's score keeper called a LOT of errors hits including 4-5 that were hit to Kendall Fox, but that both teams looked pretty vulernable defensively eventhough the boxscores don't necessarily show that.

This stuff came from visiting with a Tyler supporter (believe it or not) and a neutral observer.

Just_Some_Guy

Schreiner 7 - East Texas Baptist 5

STORY:
http://www.etbu.edu/Current+Athletic+News/sports_item.htm?SportsID=1221

BOXSCORE:
http://www2.etbu.edu/content/sports/baseball/030207.htm#GAME.NCA

Concordia 7 - Ozarks 4
Ozarks 14 - Concordia 10

STORY:
http://www.ozarks.edu/athletics/news/news_story.asp?iNewsID=1695&strBack=%2Fathletics%2FDefault%2Easp

UTD Sweeps Hardin-Simmons

http://cometsports.utdallas.edu/NEWS/BASE/0303hsu.htm

Still tough to get a grasp on what to expect from the ASC this year.

I'm going to try and get some Just Some Guy's Regional Rankings out by Tuesday evening. We'll see.

Bearkat00

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 04, 2007, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: Bearkat00 on March 02, 2007, 03:52:15 PM

- UT Tyler is the better team at this point in the season.
- Texas Lutheran was pretty competitive on Saturday playing two very close games (and having a chance to win in both), despite not having their best player SS Jake Kaase in the lineup.
- UT Tyler is as deep as anyone in D3 on the mound with a very good bullpen and any number of guys they can go to.
- That the umpiring seemed to favor UT Tyler quite a bit (even expanded zones until the third game with Besa on the bump).
- UT Tyler's coach was bunting in the bottom of the 8th up nine runs in the first game.
- Copeland played well, but Damewood (along with Elizondo) might be better hitters in the ASC East.
- UT Tyler's score keeper called a LOT of errors hits including 4-5 that were hit to Kendall Fox, but that both teams looked pretty vulernable defensively eventhough the boxscores don't necessarily show that

-There is no doubt that UT-Tyler is the better team up and down the line-up.  The scary thing is I only think UT-Tyler is going to get better.  While I don't think that first game of the series was a testament of how good TLU really is, I do think that UTTYLER is the best team in the conference. 

-Losing Kaase is a huge blow to TLU and I think that if he is in the line-up on Sat., TLU gets one of those games.  Not taking anything away from UTT, but I really feel he is the heart of that team.  He left in the 8th inning of Friday's game. 

-Tyler's pitching staff is amazing.  They have two aces in Campbell and Holland and two closers that were bringing it in the mid to low 90's.  It's crazy, but there are more guys on the bench who could probably be #1 starters for a lot of teams in our conference. 

-Home field advantage.  Scorekeeping and umpiring, but that's not what won or lost the game for UTT.  They were the better team this weekend.  That's not to say that TLU doesn't sweep them at their place, it's just this week I think UTT was more pumped up about this game than TLU.  That's always going to be scorekeeping issues, just ask any SID, espically when the individaul is bias.  I've done scorekeeping for my team before, and a couple of times I gave our players hits when it could've gone either way. 

-No one likes it when coaches bunt with a 8 run lead, but he was looking at it as TLU has a powerful offense and every run counts.  To show you how important this game was, Coach Vlade brought in his closer into the game with an 8 run lead to shut them down.  While I don't neccasirly agree with bunting, however there is some logic to it.  I think against a team like LETU, you wouldn't bunt with an eight run lead.  I've played against him and he really is a good dude, just very competitive. 

-Copeland, while he is an amazing talent and probably a top 5 player on the East side, isn't the best player in conference right now.  I really hate saying any player is the best conference b/c it's all about who is consistent over a 40 game season.  I would say any Coach would love to have Copeland on his team, but it's early to say who the best player in conference is. 

UTT played with a lot of passion this weekend, something I haven't seen from this team in their first 5+ years of playing ball.  It's a shame they can't play in the tournament this year b/c I'd like to see what they can do on the National stage.  TLU is going to be fine and I don't think that UTT is so much better than them that they would get swept.  Once they lost Kaase, it seemed that they lost a step to their game. 

Just my opinion. 

Bearkat00

LETU - 6
HPU - 0
Game 1

LETU - Wolfers goes the distance with a complete game shutout.  Cravalho gets clutch 2 out, basesloaded hit to seal the deal.

HPU - 9
LETU - 1

LETU - held to 1 hit through 9 innings, however, 8 BB's and 5 HBP provide plenty of baserunners.  LETU played brutal in the field. 

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Coach Lee Driggers on getting his 300th win last night over SRSU, 9-1.

Clint Johnston got the complete game, allowing one run on 6 hits!

CUAfan

CUA 14, Schreiner 7

Miller strikes out 10 and walks 3 in a 6-earned-run complete game. And no, I don't know why Miller was left in for all 9. Looking at the box score I would've thought Coach would have used a reliever or two, but that's just nitpicking. :P

At the plate, Jacobs went 1-of-3 with 3 walks and Thielepape went 3-of-6.

Wish I was in Kerrville for the DH today.....
Let's go 'Nados!

Bearkat00

UTTyler sweeps MC

LA College takes 2 of 3 from LETU.

LETU gets Game 1 on a walk-off Grand Slam by Soph RF Ed Hurta to win the game.  LA College comes back on Sat. to sweet the DH pretty handily. 

Blackcat00

Concordia is off to a pretty good start. Damn this next weekend against TLU is going to be huge.

Member of the only ASC team to go to the World Series in Wisconsin!

Concordia (02)

Bearkat00

LETU Splits with Wiley

Game 1
Wiley - 6
LETU - 2

Wiley scores 5 unearned runs on 4 LETU errors.  Freshman Kaminski throws a complete game and pitched very well

Game 2
LETU - 7
Wiley - 6

LETU scores 4 runs in the bottom of the 7th for a comeback win, capped off by a 3 run homer by Soph. Hybner.  Senior Caleb Melbom gets his 1st win of the season with a 2 2/3 innings pitched in relief. 

Just_Some_Guy

Texas Lutheran finally got their game schedule for Monday in yesterday and won 10-9 in extra innings over a Concordia Seward team that was 0-11. They emptied out the bullpen one day before taking on conference foe Concordia-Austin in what will be a HUGE series for both teams. They used seven pitchers including who I believe is their closer, Conley, 3.1 IP. Also SP Kyle Newman (who didn't get out of the 1st inning against HSU) entered the game and walked a batter and hit a batter.

SS Jake Kaase went 3-5 elevating his average to .492
C Josh Moreno and RF Ryan Nokelby also added 3 hits a piece.
1B Jason Foley was 2-3 w/ 3 walks

Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy

Howard Payne 5 - Schreiner 3

WP: Davies 9 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 10 SO
LP Armijo 1.2 IP, 6 H, 4 ER

1B Cable and RF Langston had 2 hits a piece for SU
CF Kasey Black was 4-4 and DH Kyle Lloyd was 2-4 in the win for HPU