BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Blackcat00 on May 10, 2007, 12:31:25 PM
Also what I noticed that is unbelievable is how Coach Mike Gardner from Concordia hasn't received coach of the year at all. That be saying hes the only coach from the ASC conference to reach the Div3 World Series. Makes you think is there some bias because they love Mueller at TLU and they are the Buffalo Bills of the ASC when it comes to the regionals.
Tom Landry never was Coach of the Year!

CUAfan

Quote from: Blackcat00 on May 10, 2007, 12:25:37 PM
I really think Miller deserved it. Plus im hearing he is suppose to be drafted this year in the draft. That will make two years in a row that Concordia has someone go in to the minor league system. COngrats to MIller.

Drafted? I hadn't heard that, but it would be great for the program. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got a free agent deal though. For that matter, so should HSU's Simpson, at the very least.

And don't forget that one Scott Linebrink spent a couple years at CUA before heading to Texas State Southwest Texas. :P
Let's go 'Nados!

Warren Thompson

Also what I noticed that is unbeleivable is how Coach Mike Gardner from Concordia hsnt received coach of the year at all. That be saying hes the only coach from the ASC conference to reach the Div3 World Series. Makes you think is there some bias because they love Mueller at TLU and they are the Buffolo Bills of the ASC when it comes to the REgionals.

Wow! You put your finger right on it. The anti-Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod conspiracy amongst the ASC coaches rears its ugly head ... again.  :o

pitchinmom

Quote from: Blackcat00 on May 10, 2007, 12:25:37 PM
I really think Miller deserved it. Plus im hearing he is suppose to be drafted this year in the draft. That will make two years in a row that Concordia has someone go in to the minor league system. COngrats to MIller.
Not that I'm biased or anything, but I'll agree with you!   Now, if I only knew what you knew about him being drafted!  This is all new to me and I'm not sure exactly how the draft process works!  Perhaps you have a crystal ball and can let me know which team is going to draft him and what round!  And, what do you mean go to the minors.  He's going straight to the big show!!!!  LOL :D  In all seriousness, perhaps you can educate me on the process.

pitchinmom

Quote from: Warren Thompson on May 10, 2007, 05:14:35 PM
Also what I noticed that is unbeleivable is how Coach Mike Gardner from Concordia hsnt received coach of the year at all. That be saying hes the only coach from the ASC conference to reach the Div3 World Series. Makes you think is there some bias because they love Mueller at TLU and they are the Buffolo Bills of the ASC when it comes to the REgionals.

Wow! You put your finger right on it. The anti-Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod conspiracy amongst the ASC coaches rears its ugly head ... again.  :o
I don't know how the Coach of the Year is selected, but Gardner is definitely more than that in my books!  He's not only a remarkable coach who is highly respected by his players, he's an all around great man.  I have seen my son mature greatly over the last couple of years and as much as I would like to take the credit, I know that Garnder has had more to do with it than anyone.  I couldn't have asked for my son to have been in any better hands. 

Shiloh

I'm a CUA fan and all that, but 5th place is 5th place. When CUA stops being scared to face left handers and stops being scared to go to Seguin, then we can talk about coaching. Just a thought, but from the talent I saw on the field in Seguin, the main difference was coaching. TLU took three that series and they're still going.

CUAfan

CUA will be ok next season, I think. The only glaring hole will be Miller's spot in the rotation. If they can get a solid guy in that spot without pulling Aubry out of the pen, I wouldn't be suprised at all if they make a good run.
Let's go 'Nados!

DIIIBaseballFan

Rumor has it that the West Regionals will be in TEXAS.

Any information on this.

indian4life

Not for sure yet but Coach Driggers put a bid in to hold it in Abilene.

What are the chances that UTD gets and at large bid?

Spence

Indian...pretty good, I think.

BigPoppa

Quote from: DIIIBaseballFan on May 11, 2007, 11:44:53 AM
Rumor has it that the West Regionals will be in TEXAS.

Any information on this.

It would be nice, but then I could not make the 15 minute drive to Chapman to watch the regional. I have watched every regional game at Chapman the past few seasons.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Blackcat00

Not to take anything away from this years team, but I went to at least 5 or 6 games and its not at all the coaching. THe talent is down from the teams a few years ago. But also when Gardner took over the program in 2001 he brought in almost all JUCO transfers from the Houston area, and had some guys that had no business playing Div 3 baseball. But thats my opinion.

About Miller From what I heard from one of the coaches in mid season it was stated that Miller was going to be possibly drafted.. Im not sure but from who, what I see yeah he could probably get a free agent deal. Ive seen guys get drafted before that you just couldnt beleive would in later rounds so he def. has a chance.

Blackcat00

The oly downfall about having the regional in Texas is the heat. The West regional we played in 2003 in Georgetown at Southwestern was I beleive in the 100's. But this year should be fine.

Just_Some_Guy

I'm trying to discern how this is pertinent information at all. TLU's Miller wasn't even coach of the year this year. The coach of the year was Wells from UMHB who got them to the playoffs. It had been the same four teams for the last few years.  It's hard to argue with the success Miller has had winning at least 30 games every year for the last 15 years, and 6 of the last 7 ASC West titles. Miller, Driggers, Gardner, and Coleman off have solid track records, and YES Concordia is the only ASC team to make to a Div III world series, but it's hard to argue with the success the Bulldogs have had the last couple of years.

Some_Guy

canpickit

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on May 11, 2007, 05:07:11 PM

I'm trying to discern how this is pertinent information at all. TLU's Miller wasn't even coach of the year this year. The coach of the year was Wells from UMHB who got them to the playoffs. It had been the same four teams for the last few years.  It's hard to argue with the success Miller has had winning at least 30 games every year for the last 15 years, and 6 of the last 7 ASC West titles. Miller, Driggers, Gardner, and Coleman off have solid track records, and YES Concordia is the only ASC team to make to a Div III world series, but it's hard to argue with the success the Bulldogs have had the last couple of years.

Some_Guy

I have been reading and listening to opinions on where the West Regional is going to be played the last couple of days.  With it looking more and more likely that 3 Texas teams are going to get in (TLU, UTD and Austin), I'd say there is at least a 75% chance the regionals will be held at McMurray.  My only feeling is that after looking at the 10 day weather report for Abilene, it looks like rain, thundershowers and more rain non-stop.  I think it would be an ultimate travesty if the regional was in Texas and teams and games were affected by the weather.  I know Chapman has hosted the regionals the last 4 years, but they do a good job running them, the weather is going be perfect (blue skies and high 80's temps), the field is gorgeous, there is plenty of lodging and the school and administration know how to run the thing like the back of their hand.  I think in a year where Chapman will be the #1 seed and weather could be a factor, playing the games in CA makes the most sense.  Also, I think if George Fox makes it, that might play into the picture and the fact maybe Austin gets shipped to the South region if only Millsaps OR Rhodes gets a Pool C.  I don't know, all I do know is that it would be brutal if a West Region team started their ace in a game, and he went 4 and then it started pouring and it altered everything and they couldn't bring that guy back, I think it would affect all 6 or 7 teams drastically.  Anyways, McMurray's stadium is legit and a great place to play, I just think more attention should be paid to weather, who the #1 seed is and logisitics.  I think money is a huge factor as always.  Any thoughts on if weather or Fox or 6 vs 7 team regional will affect location?