BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchinmom

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on July 06, 2007, 07:50:49 AM
Pitchinmom, you may be a bit happier after you see the pitching lines on this link:

http://www.frontierleague.com/2007scores/wcy7050.html

Here's the article from the O'Fallon Journal after Miller's first professional start.  There's a pretty cool picture in the article as well!
http://ofallonjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2007/07/10/sports/sj2tn20070710-0711stc_ras.ii1.txt

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

Good fall season for McMurry.

They scrimmaged Cisco JC on ?Friday?.

Ralph Turner

McMurry's 2008 Schedule

Coach Driggers knows how to build a schedule!

Forty games, only Marietta and the mid-week game versus NAIA Wayland Baptist are not in-region.

He has perennial powers Chapman and George Fox on the non-conference schedule.

Just_Some_Guy

Texas Lutheran Baseball Schedule

Looks like new head coach Greg Burnett finally did something Miller was never willing to do.  He got rid of the two useless Huston-Tillitson games in favor of a west coast run-in with La Verne (2) and the Redlands (2). That's a tough weekend for the Bulldogs, but good to see them playing some stiffer competition AND more importantly adding 4 in-region games to the schedule to accompany their lone 2 games with Trinity every year.

JSG

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on December 10, 2007, 12:57:55 AM

Looks like new head coach Greg Burnett finally did something Miller was never willing to do.  He got rid of the two useless Huston-Tillitson games in favor of a west coast run-in with La Verne (2) and the Redlands (2). That's a tough weekend for the Bulldogs, but good to see them playing some stiffer competition AND more importantly adding 4 in-region games to the schedule to accompany their lone 2 games with Trinity every year.

JSG
JSG, congratulations to TLU!

That is a great schedule!  The Bulldogs open against in-region AC.  The midweek non-in-region games versus Wabash, Concordia NE and Sterling KS are the only non-in-games present.

This may be the difference in boosting the ASC schools over Chapman in seeding.

Here is McMurry's.  Note the three game series with Chapman and hosting George Fox for 3 games!

BigPoppa

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on December 10, 2007, 12:57:55 AM

JSG

I am looking forward to catching those games as it will give me a more rounded view of the region's teams. It is always hard to catch the Texas teams unless they travel to the greater- Los Angeles area.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

indian4life

I know this is early but are there any predictions for the upcoming season on how the conference will turn out?

And I love the fact that mmore ASC teams are playing tough games early on in the season.

tball275

Ozarks first game is Feb. 5 vs. Hendrix.  Should be a good game to open up the season for the Eagles.

Mack09

Quote from: indian4life on December 10, 2007, 09:19:02 PM
I know this is early but are there any predictions for the upcoming season on how the conference will turn out?

And I love the fact that mmore ASC teams are playing tough games early on in the season.

I know it is probably too early to make any predictions, but I am going to take a crack at it to spark some discussion.

West

1. Tx Lutheran
2. McMurry
3. UMHB
4. Hardin Simmons
5. Concordia
6. Schreiner
7. Howard Payne
8. Sul Ross

East
1. Tx Tyler
2. Tx Dallas
3. Ozarks
4. Miss. College
5. La. College
6. ETBU
7. Letourneau

I know these are pretty close to the finishing standings of last season, but I feel like it could be an accurate finish to the season again this year.

On a side note I really feel like the west can be a toss up this year between McMurry and TLU.  I'm taking TLU because McMurry has to travel to Seguin, and (correct me if I am wrong) has never won a series against TLU since the Bulldogs joined the conference.

Tyler is likely to be a powerhouse again with a new load of JuCo talent, but we'll see if they can come together.  I think the Ozarks and UMHB are teams to watch.  They both had improving seasons last year.

I think the champions (and it is way too early for this) could be either McMurry, Tyler, or TLU.  It will all depend on which team can come together and get hot at the right time.

BigPoppa

Just looking at the talent in the ASC is scary. It is still hard to believe they only get one Pool A bid. Most eight team conferences get one as well so it is hard to justify only giving one to the ASC's 17 team conference.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mack09

I agree with you entirely BigPoppa.  I also think that the ASC does not get the recognition it deserves as being a tough conference.  A perfect example came last year when UTD beat TLU in the regionals but finished third in the conf. tournament at their own park.  On top of that UT Tyler was the best team and didn't even get a chance to go.  It is unfortunate but you just have to play the hand that is dealt. 

I think there should be a legitimate case for three teams to come from the ASC this year depending on how some teams fair early in the year in those in region games.  It will be fun to watch.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Mack09 on January 28, 2008, 07:17:54 PM
I agree with you entirely BigPoppa.  I also think that the ASC does not get the recognition it deserves as being a tough conference.  A perfect example came last year when UTD beat TLU in the regionals but finished third in the conf. tournament at their own park.  On top of that UT Tyler was the best team and didn't even get a chance to go.  It is unfortunate but you just have to play the hand that is dealt. 

I don't know if the MAC Freedom and MAC Commonwelath were one conference in the past - I suspect so.  If you split the conference in two, you get two automatic bids. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on January 28, 2008, 07:44:44 PM
Quote from: Mack09 on January 28, 2008, 07:17:54 PM

I don't know if the MAC Freedom and MAC Commonwelath were one conference in the past - I suspect so.  If you split the conference in two, you get two automatic bids. 
For ASC fans, the challenge of getting two conferences is that several schools need to add other sports, and it is prudent not to have the "minimum" number of teams in the conference.  The migration from the MAC Commonwealth has left them with only 5 schools.  They need to find two affiliates or new members/programs to get to the seven necessary for the AQ by the 2010 season, or they move to Pool B.

If we had 2 more schools on the West and probably 3 more on the East, then creating a new conference might be wise.

I keep asking UT-Tyler, is your 7,000 student state supported school really a peer institution to the University of Ozarks or Louisiana College?

Also, I would love to have the correspondence from the president of UT-Dallas on on UT-Dallas letterhead stating that all of the ASC schools that are considered peer institutions in the fields of neurological sciences, psychology and computation sciences.   :D

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 29, 2008, 12:32:13 AM
I keep asking UT-Tyler, is your 7,000 student state supported school really a peer institution to the University of Ozarks or Louisiana College?

Also, I would love to have the correspondence from the president of UT-Dallas on on UT-Dallas letterhead stating that all of the ASC schools that are considered peer institutions in the fields of neurological sciences, psychology and computation sciences.   :D

Don't even get me started.  ;)

I am primarily familiar with the West Region and the SCAC schools. What are some other examples across the nation
of really good programs that can attribute some of their success to the fact that they're state-supported, cheaper tuition,
and easier admission standards? Let's be honest -- some of these schools can go get guys (including JUCO guys) that
would never have the financial means or the grades to get into some of the other ASC schools?

Also - in the ASC what schools are definitely at a disadvantage in terms of admission standards,
cost of tuition, etc. when it comes to other sports? Some more than others?

JSG