BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bman3

Quote from: fungoman on March 26, 2008, 07:33:41 PM
I will agree that UMHB MIGHT lose an ASC championship game to Ozarks or UT Tyler, but I do not think we could even suggest Concordia being there.
Quote from: fungoman on March 27, 2008, 12:13:32 AM
Hey you Concordia folks are the ones that penciled in UMHB in the finals and said they would get smoked by one of the east powerhouses.
No, fungoman...it was definatley you who put them in the championship game...where they, MIGHT, lose to Ozarks or UT-T. you speak of this, MIGHT, as if they should just stop playing now and give them the trophy! as if Ozarks or UT-T are the only teams who have any kind of slight chance to beat these guys. they are having a GREAT year and i look forward to them going forward, but lets let it play out a little before we start handing hardware out!

HAMBONE

Quote from: fungoman on March 26, 2008, 07:33:41 PM
I looked on the schedule page and noticed that the soft SWAGU game was postponed the first game of the season, and this was probably a makeup, but I can't expect someone with your intelligence level to comprehend that, hambone.

You are right and I am wrong.  It was a rescheduled rainout.  I do believe you dont give yourself enough credit though, by setting your expectations so low about my intelligence.  

Quote from: fungoman on March 26, 2008, 09:12:51 PM
Blackcat,

How do they not have experience? Does that mean that Concordia doesnt even have experience in making the conference Tourney? Or UT Tyler since they havent been there either? Pretty stellar comment there...

They do not have very much post-season experience and thats a fact.  It was a statement based on facts not a judgement call.  Last year was their first appearance, that is how they do not have experience.  Quite possibly someone with your intelligence level may not be able to comprehend that.  Do some more of your cutting-edge research and make some educated stellar comments of your own.

Quote from: fungoman on March 27, 2008, 12:13:32 AM
Hey you Concordia folks are the ones that penciled in UMHB in the finals and said they would get smoked by one of the east powerhouses. Now they dont have the experience to get there? And Concordia, with possibly just a handful of players that have any conference tourney experience, has enough experience to get it done? Which is it now?

Noone eluded to the fact that UMHB didnt have the experience to get there.  You dont need experience to get there, you need enough wins.  The experience part comes from performance production, which is when big time players make big time plays in big time situations.  Experience also determines the coaching strategies with pitching matchups and strategic substitutions.  Also, noone on here has made the statement that CTX will get it done at the ASC tournament.  Since I lack the intelligence, I had to ask somebody, but what I found out was its a 6 team race in the West....so only time will tell who the 4 teams are that make it.

Quote from: fungoman on March 27, 2008, 10:29:49 AM
Thank you JSG...it is good to see some real analysis instead instead of all the past smack talking we have gotten from the Concordia group. But I guess we have to listen to it, because they did go to the world series in 2002, and they have all the experience in the world.

If you do not like the smack talk then do not read it.  if you would like it to stop, then stop responding to it.  JSG has a great unbiased point of view and provides us with spectacular udates and scouting reports.  We may not have all the experience in the world smart guy, but im pretty sure that Bman3 and myself have more than you do in the ASC, and some pretty solid career #'s that not only speak for themselves but also give us the right to open our mouths.

baseballfan24

Anyone feel like throwing out some predictions for this weekend?

JSG, Ralph

I'll take the following:

McMurry sweeps Shreiner

UMHB wins 2 of 3 over TLU

Hardin-Simmons gets 2 of 3 from Concordia only because it is in Abilene - not sure if I believe my own prediction on this one

HPU wins 2 of 3 at Sul Ross

Tyler sweeps UTD in Tyler - but watch out for Cox he is pretty good

LC wins 2 of 3 at ETBU

Ozarks sweeps Leteurneau

and Mississippi is playing Spalding - I know nothing about them

Any thoughts?

indian4life

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 27, 2008, 09:15:54 AM
Quote from: fungoman on March 26, 2008, 07:56:56 PM
Ralph, what can you tell me about UMHB?

I'll try to take this one off of Ralph's hands.

Obviously they can swing the sticks with the team .354 batting average, but they have been shut down by good pitching this year.

Todd Koch 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 9 K
Curt Dixon 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 7 K
Cody Curry 7 IP, 3 H, 9 ER, 5 K

Because of this notion and the fact that they played a very weak early season non-conference schedule leads me to believe their stats are a bit inflated and that they would struggle with the Ozarks again, and definitely the UTT pitching staff in any kind of tournament situation.

That said, the top of that order can swing it pretty well and will all run once they're on the sack. Froeschl, Villegas, Volz, White (usually one or the other hitting up there), and then Reinlie has been decent in the clean-up spot. Of course, you also have Pena hitting 9-hole that will murder bad pitching.

They've been pretty solid on the bump, but again, have shown some vulnerability against better hitting teams. If Tumlinson is healthy they have a little more depth, but with only 12.0 IP I don't know that he has been or is at all at this point.

It's clear that they're usually going to try to out slug a team though. White has 13 errors at SS and is fielding .849 and Whitehead has 9 at 3rd for a .918 clip.

Do I think they're the best team in the West?
It's hard to argue with what they've done thus far especially the fact that they took 2 of 3 from McMurry, but I'm still a little hesitant to annoit them the best team in the west. I'd say because of the way this year has gone in the west virtually anything could happen. If I was coaching and had to pick I'd probably rather play UMHB then McMurry right now but ask me again in two weeks.

Either way, I envision either the Ozarks or Tyler to come out as the ASC champions, but with the lack of true pitching depth in the entire conference, there's really no telling.

JSG

First JSG I wanted to correct you and say that Curry did not give up a single run against UMHB las weekend...just a lil fyi.

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 27, 2008, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: Sader22 on March 27, 2008, 06:11:10 AM
Quote from: HAMBONE on March 26, 2008, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: Bman3 on March 26, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
THE_CRU_WHERE_ARE_YOU

I think I hurt THE_CRU_05's feelings.  i got on him pretty hard for messing with Infielddad and JSG.  Im sure he is aware that if the Cru does actually make it to the championship game of the asc tournament that 1 of those east powerhouses will man-handle them.  where is that pansy?  light us up on this message board....we are ready for your cocky-typing to make us think differently about your club.  afterall they did put a beatdown on a strong NCCAA team last night.  maybe they will get an intramural championship t-shirt for their efforts?

I know it is still early and we are only half way through the season and yes I know CTX has a great track record and all of these other teams in the East are great squads, but you have to give the CRU and Wells the credit they deserve.  He has done a great job turning the program around in Belton.  Yes you guys did smoke us every year and I played in those days when you, White, or Decker would go 4-5 with 2 bombs against us.  It just seems to me being a Baseball fan you really have to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I might be wrong about this but wouldnt you say at this point that UMHB is the powerhouse in the West.  I mean look at their team numbers it is kind of ridiculous.  I believe that when they make it to the Championship round no Team is going to handle them.  I believe that it is going to be a very good tournament. 

Im just saying everybody in here is not giving them any credit and they really do have a great team down there this year, I think it makes for an interesting tournament and could be one of the best divisions in the West that we have had in a long time. 

I like to see that our conference is getting stronger every year and that all the teams are getting better, I mean Sul Ross is even a little more talented than the have been.

All I ask is give them a little credit I mean we always gave the teams that smoked us every year the credit, CTX, TLU, MCM, HSU have always been the top dogs and now its nice to see other teams up there besides those guys every year. 

Please let me know your thoughts, just trying to get a little insight from other former players in this conference.

We do give them credit.  They are having a great year which makes it fun to talk a little smack to see if they will shut me (us) up.  You dont see anyone on here lubing up Sul Ross State do you? That wouldnt be any fun. Trust me when I say, you are not alone knowing or excited that your alma matter is having a successful year.  Success in sports is what makes it fun, and i believe without a doubt those kids are having the time of their lives right now, and I am glad they are tasting a piece of the sweet goodness.  winning is contageous and losing is a disease, both spread equally as quick, and only the mature ballclubs know how to respect and keep the momentum when they get it. Do you really need the reassurance from us to know UMHB is having a great year?  They are clearly on the National Rankings and have one of the best records in the conference, that alone speaks for itself.  Now can they continue their success with the competition heating up?  That is where they lack the experience and it will be fun to watch.  They took 2 of 3 from a hot McMurry club....may be a different story if the Indians host the conference tourney.  I dont see any Indians on here talking smack after getting beat either.  Where you at Indian4life?

Dear Mr. Hambone,

Frankly I do not like what happen to my team last weekend, but I will say we never gave up and I still love our chances.  If you look at the past years there has only been 1 team since the new millenium lose less that 5 games and get 1st place on the west side of the conference TLU (2003,2005,2007) So I like where we are sitting.  UMHB is a good ball club and a very very hot ball club weather or not they can keep it up that is all up to them. And we do not know how they will play in a tournament.  And if you really want to know why I have not been around lately it is because I am tired of all of this childish arguing that goes on.  Yes it can be fun but these boards are about the players and whats going on in the year.  I do like the post from ralph, CUA fan, JSG, give me something with substance instead of a lot of trash talking and ill post more often.  In conclusion last weekend was a rough loss for my INDIANS but I believe we will bounce back fine and be a force that no one will take lightly when it comes tournament time.

i4l

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: indian4life on March 27, 2008, 03:25:42 PM
First JSG I wanted to correct you and say that Curry did not give up a single run against UMHB las weekend...just a lil fyi.

Thanks for the heads up Curry. Made that post really quickly at work, and in my efforts to hurry I accidentally hit the 9 instead of the 0.

Obviously, since I was talking about the fact that they had been shut down by good pitching, I wouldn't have intentionally used someone who gave up 9 ER as an example.

Again, I appreciate the heads up. I've fixed it now.

JSG

HAMBONE

Dear Mr. Hambone,
And if you really want to know why I have not been around lately it is because I am tired of all of this childish arguing that goes on.  Yes it can be fun but these boards are about the players and whats going on in the year.  I do like the post from ralph, CUA fan, JSG, give me something with substance instead of a lot of trash talking and ill post more often.
i4l
[/quote]

Cm'on Indian 4 life, its all in good clean fun.  If you want something of substance I suggest you read a book; perhaps maybe you have read too many books of substance in Law School and have just set the bar too high for the rest of us....but I guess that's for you to determine what exactly substance is for you.  For me, I will probably never grow up....so I guess you will just have to deal with it for now.  Good to hear from ya and we're all glad you are still around.

Bman3

My picks for this weekend:

McM sweeps SU
HPU 2-3 SRSU
CTX 2-3 HSU
TLU 2-3 UMHB

OU sweeps LeT
UTT 2-3 UTD
LC 2-3 ETBU

Blackcat00

I Believe this is a weekend of alot of upsets. You hit it on the head hambone. Indian you wuldnt survive one day on Texas orangebloods.com. This isnt anything compared over there, and those guys know their baseball, football, and basketball. I think this board has been alot of fun.

indian4life

Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 27, 2008, 06:12:17 PM
I Believe this is a weekend of alot of upsets. You hit it on the head hambone. Indian you wuldnt survive one day on Texas orangebloods.com. This isnt anything compared over there, and those guys know their baseball, football, and basketball. I think this board has been alot of fun.

Thats because i have more class than the tsipping idiots on that web site.

And HAMMY if you want me on your level you can have it all you have to do is ask. I don't mind it but really who gives a rats butt about your 2002 team anymore that was 6 seasons ago that is enough for now im reserving my big guns for later.

fungoman

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 26, 2008, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: Bman3 on March 26, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
THE_CRU_WHERE_ARE_YOU

I think I hurt THE_CRU_05's feelings.  i got on him pretty hard for messing with Infielddad and JSG.  Im sure he is aware that if the Cru does actually make it to the championship game of the asc tournament that 1 of those east powerhouses will man-handle them.  where is that pansy?  light us up on this message board....we are ready for your cocky-typing to make us think differently about your club.  afterall they did put a beatdown on a strong NCCAA team last night.  maybe they will get an intramural championship t-shirt for their efforts?

Hambone is the one that brought up the "Cru" in the chapmionship. I am still stunned by the lack of intelligence supposed college graduates have. Do they teach you guys anything at Concordia, or did the 2002 world series trip get you a degree?

Last time I checked the coaches do not actually go up to the plate or pitch on the mound during championship tournaments. Gardner may have the experience, but his players dont. Do we really want to talk about his prestigious resume? Or should we keep that one quiet?

Blackcat00

Class? They do have a few share of bad apples, but they do know their baseball here in austin, and do follow the succes of Texas basball

Blackcat00

Yeah lets talk about his prestigious resume. First for South Houston high school he had the number one team in the country in 5A, how many national championships did he win at San Jancinto college when coaching, then going to the SouthWest Conference as a coach for The University of Houston. Then to top it off he gets ASC's only World Series participant to Wisconsin. You might want to do your homework before you talk out your you know what fungoguy.

OWNED

Sader22

I agree this is all in good fun and if you really take all the trash talking and stuff to heart then maybe you really should not post anything else on here.  They say Baseball is suppose to be fun and so is this.  I think Indian is just sulking a little bit and cant handle that his team got beat. 

So guys how do you think the Conference shapes up after this weekend.

fungoman

Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 27, 2008, 08:13:53 PM
Yeah lets talk about his prestigious resume. First for South Houston high school he had the number one team in the country in 5A, how many national championships did he win at San Jancinto college when coaching, then going to the SouthWest Conference as a coach for The University of Houston. Then to top it off he gets ASC's only World Series participant to Wisconsin. You might want to do your homework before you talk out your you know what fungoguy.

OWNED

Do you have first hand knowledge of why he left San Jac? Maybe things we hear need to stay to ourselves, right HAMBONE?

mcm505

First off, you guys really ought to back off Coach Gardner.  The guy is a class act, good guy, and a hell of a baseball coach and this is coming from someone that played at McMurry.  And why should those that participated in 2002 DIII World Series not brag about it?  They made it there, a feat not equalled by even my McMurry Indians.  I was fortunate enough to play an insignificant role on the 2004 ASC Championship team, and I still would talk about that experience, even when we got knocked out fast in Bloomington.  Point being, I give tons of credibility to what comes out of the mouths of people that have not only talked about this, but played it and lived it.  It really seems like the "Cru" fans are coming out of the woodwork.  I am glad to see their rise in the ASC, b/c it is great for the conference, but this rise needs to be taken a bit more humbly by the fan base.  Also, might want to ease off Hambone a bit, anyone that knows him understands that he liked to tease and make jokes.  Everyone taking his remarks so seriously really ought to consider he is just giving ya'll a hard time. 

And Hambone, I take offense to those law books remarks.