FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Doolittle

Cal Lu also hired a new O-Line coach with Mac leaving.   Sutherland from NAU.

olddog

Maybe the guy played at UR, but for the last couple years only three coaches have left and that was for other jobs in the area, family situations.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

hazzben

Quote from: jknezek on July 05, 2021, 06:24:03 PM
While I agree Region 6 is ludicrously tough, it is important to remember that regions have nothing to do with the playoff pairings. ...

MIAC, WIAC, ASC... it's a ludicrous Region in terms of depth of quality. Annually there are at least 2 playoff quality teams in each of those first 3 conferences, and probably 3 or more that would easily throttle a significant number of other conference champions.

Not entirely true. Regional Rankings matter, especially Results against Regionally Ranked Opponents (RRO). I know you're aware of this, not trying to sound pedantic. With one region being artificially strong, and also including more teams and conferences than the other 5, it makes the RRO metric for seeding and at large bids, skewed against Region 6 teams.

Outside the Crate

Quote from: Gray Fox on June 29, 2021, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: Dr. Doolittle on June 28, 2021, 12:00:46 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAIA_Division_II_Football_National_Championship
1971 National champs
This championship literally saved the school.  Enrollment was not covering expenses, and it was facing bankruptcy.

Bob Shoup began the football team from scratch in 1962.  The publicity from this victory increased enrollment to bring them in the black.  Shoup was promised a lifetime job as a result.  Success continued, and the Kingsmen even moved to D2 for about five years.  They were expecting more and built a nice stadium.  A group was formed to study the future, and they decided to move to D3. Shoup left in 1989.  They joined the SCIAC in 1991. I remember that one of those interim years they tried six different starting QBs.

There is almost nothing about this that is correct.  CLU's new president had something to do with the improving financial condition, and without a million dollar loan from the national church body the college would have closed.  Also, the new stadium came long after the college returned to D3 -- perhaps 10 years ago.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Outside the Crate on July 17, 2021, 04:59:34 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on June 29, 2021, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: Dr. Doolittle on June 28, 2021, 12:00:46 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAIA_Division_II_Football_National_Championship
1971 National champs
This championship literally saved the school.  Enrollment was not covering expenses, and it was facing bankruptcy.

Bob Shoup began the football team from scratch in 1962.  The publicity from this victory increased enrollment to bring them in the black.  Shoup was promised a lifetime job as a result.  Success continued, and the Kingsmen even moved to D2 for about five years.  They were expecting more and built a nice stadium.  A group was formed to study the future, and they decided to move to D3. Shoup left in 1989.  They joined the SCIAC in 1991. I remember that one of those interim years they tried six different starting QBs.

There is almost nothing about this that is correct.  CLU's new president had something to do with the improving financial condition, and without a million dollar loan from the national church body the college would have closed.  Also, the new stadium came long after the college returned to D3 -- perhaps 10 years ago.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-08-09-sp-73-story.html

"Shoup started the Cal Lutheran football program in 1962 with a $5,000 budget, borrowed equipment, a Navy bus rescued from a war-surplus store, and a field cut out of an orange grove. Nine years later, the Kingsmen won a National Assn. of Intercollegiate Athletics championship and in the process gave the financially strapped school such a public-relations boost that it was saved from extinction."
Fierce When Roused

Gray Fox

I went to the SCIAC composite schedule on their website.

https://www.thesciac.org/sports/fball/2021-22/schedule

It shows some games between conference opponents but not marked as "*Conference".  The later games count in the standings. 
Fierce When Roused

Dr. Doolittle

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 19, 2021, 03:44:29 PM

It shows some games between conference opponents but not marked as "*Conference".  The later games count in the standings.
It appears that several schools are playing each other twice to get 10 games in, so I am assuming the first game will not be a conference game?

Gray Fox

Quote from: Dr. Doolittle on July 19, 2021, 07:09:19 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on July 19, 2021, 03:44:29 PM

It appears that several schools are playing each other twice to get 10 games in, so I am assuming the first game will not be a conference game?
That looks correct.  I'm not sure about ten games.  The SCIAC has normally played nine games.
Fierce When Roused

territorysooner

Teams were still allowed 3 non-conference games. For reasons unbeknownst to me, some schools (maybe all?) are not traveling outside the state. They were allowed to schedule a "non-conference" game against a conference opponent to make up for what would have been the 3rd non-conference game. They also scheduled another "non-conference" game against a conference opponent to make up for the Oxy game, but again this game will not be included in the conference standings or records. This allowed each team to have a 10 game schedule.

olddog

2023 and 2024 will be a pivotal year for football in the SCIAC, we will be in an economic slow down, and many school Presidents will have to decide if they keep FB. The math works in FB favor  but the right side do not apply logic very well.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Dr. Doolittle

Quote from: territorysooner on July 19, 2021, 11:38:13 PM
Teams were still allowed 3 non-conference games. For reasons unbeknownst to me, some schools (maybe all?) are not traveling outside the state. They were allowed to schedule a "non-conference" game against a conference opponent to make up for what would have been the 3rd non-conference game. They also scheduled another "non-conference" game against a conference opponent to make up for the Oxy game, but again this game will not be included in the conference standings or records. This allowed each team to have a 10 game schedule.
Cal Lu is traveling to Puget Sound this year and having a home and away with Southwestern U (TX) this year (home) and next year (AWAY).  They are also playing Pacific Lutheran at home this year.
Redlands is going to George Fox and hosting Linfield and Puget Sound this year.  Other teams are playing the likes of  Pacific and Whitworth, so they are playing outside the conference.

territorysooner

Outside the Crate

"Shoup started the Cal Lutheran football program in 1962 with a $5,000 budget, borrowed equipment, a Navy bus rescued from a war-surplus store, and a field cut out of an orange grove. Nine years later, the Kingsmen won a National Assn. of Intercollegiate Athletics championship and in the process gave the financially strapped school such a public-relations boost that it was saved from extinction."

This just goes to show that sportswriters often go for the dramatic and what's in their wheelhouse.  I was a vice president at CLU for several years, a good friend of Coach Shoup (still am) and a fan of the football team...BUT, the college was not saved by the football team's championship although the championship and the team's success did give the institution a nice boost (and continued to do so for several years).  However, without the million dollars from the Lutheran church CLU's campus would be a housing development today.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Outside the Crate on July 23, 2021, 03:20:16 PM

This just goes to show that sportswriters often go for the dramatic and what's in their wheelhouse.  I was a vice president at CLU for several years, a good friend of Coach Shoup (still am) and a fan of the football team...BUT, the college was not saved by the football team's championship although the championship and the team's success did give the institution a nice boost (and continued to do so for several years).  However, without the million dollars from the Lutheran church CLU's campus would be a housing development today.
Maybe you are just overstating your own importance. :D
Fierce When Roused

Outside the Crate