MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

I totally agree with you about this BS rule.  If they shift, go with the old-timers motto: hit 'em where they ain't!  Instead of an unenforcible (and wildly subjective) rule about defensive shifts, why not just add 2-3 extra fielders? (That's known as sarcasm, folks! ;))  COMPLETE BS!!

Mr. Ypsi

Back to MLB.  The first HR of this season came yesterday by my man Miggy! ;D  It occurred during a snow flurry so strong that neither Miggy, the outfielders, or the umpires were sure whether or not it was a HR!  It bounced back onto the field, so Miggy went from a trot to a sprint and slid into second.  After about a minute, it was officially ruled a HR, and the 2nd base umpire told Miggy to get up and trot on home!  That (plus Matt Boyd having a 5.2 inning outing of shut-out ball) bodes well for Detroit exceeding (dismal) expectations.  I'm gonna be wildly optimistic and predict c. .500 rather than the last place nearly everyone else is predicting.

Mr. Ypsi

Since opening day, Miggy has shown his age.  My new favorite Tiger (tentative - don't want to commit after only 8 at bats!) is Akil Baddoo.  Akil was a Minnesota Twins draft choice stuck in Single A.  The Tigers apparently saw something in him and selected him the draft.  He was so impressive in spring training, that he was on the major league roster.  On Sunday, he hit a HR on the first pitch he ever saw above class A.  On Monday, he hit a grand slam against his former organization (but the Tigers were down 16-1 at the time, so the Twins were probably not particularly worried).  Today, he entered as a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the tenth and singled in the winning run. ;D

I suspect the Twins are wondering "what the f*** have we ignored! :o

RogK

Mr. Ypsi, on this web site, you can spell out "fern" ... you don't have to use asterisks.

Mr. Ypsi

'fern' was NOT the word I had in mind! ;D  But Akil Baddoo may have been a one-week phenom - he's been in a deep slump for about a month now. :(

A reminder not to get too excited by short-term results.  Spencer Turnbull was 0-5 going into Tuesday - he threw a no-hitter that night. ;)

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Caz Bombers

Bombers to Bombers: Tim LoCastro (Ithaca) traded from Arizona to the Yankees.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 21, 2021, 05:34:22 PM
'fern' was NOT the word I had in mind! ;D  But Akil Baddoo may have been a one-week phenom - he's been in a deep slump for about a month now. :(

A reminder not to get too excited by short-term results.  Spencer Turnbull was 0-5 going into Tuesday - he threw a no-hitter that night. ;)

Reminder to self: don't get TOO carried away with one-month results, either.  Akil Baddoo has now become a very legitimate lead-off hitter, and a dark-horse candidate for ROY.

Meanwhile, Miguel Cabrera has risen from the dead and gone from well below the Mendoza line to the .240s - hitting well over .400 for the last 10-15 games.  Before the season, the 'experts' predicted he would achieve 500 homers before the end of the season, but not reach 3,000 hits until next season - I now think he will achieve both milestones before the end of 2021 (barring injury, f course).

Mr. Ypsi

Bizarre game in Minneapolis this afternoon.  The Twins hit SEVEN home runs - and lost by a field goal! :o  The Tigers win 17-14 (MUCH more likely score for a Lions-Vikings game than Tigers-Twins)! ;D

It's been 60 years since the Tigers scored that many runs without a single homer.  I've found no mention of whether a team has ever hit seven HRs and lost before, but that has just got to be damn near a record.

mr_b

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 29, 2021, 12:22:32 AM
Bizarre game in Minneapolis this afternoon.  The Twins hit SEVEN home runs - and lost by a field goal! :o  The Tigers win 17-14 (MUCH more likely score for a Lions-Vikings game than Tigers-Twins)! ;D

It's been 60 years since the Tigers scored that many runs without a single homer.  I've found no mention of whether a team has ever hit seven HRs and lost before, but that has just got to be damn near a record.

This happened to the White Sox back in 2016.  They hit seven homers against Toronto and still lost, 10-8.  Here is the box score:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=201606250CHA

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mr_b on July 29, 2021, 11:21:21 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 29, 2021, 12:22:32 AM

This happened to the White Sox back in 2016.  They hit seven homers against Toronto and still lost, 10-8.  Here is the box score:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=201606250CHA
I would expect 6-3 to be an average score in a Vikings-Lions game.  :)

Mr. Ypsi

It felt like forever (Miggy went on a 4-33 slump after hitting #499), but Cabrera finally punched HR #500 in Toronto today.  He's only the 28th member of that rather exclusive club.

Sometime later this season or early in 2022 he should join an even more exclusive club - he is just 45 hits shy of becoming only the 7th player in history with 500 HRs and 3,000 hits.

Mr. Ypsi

In last night's game against the Jays, Victor Reyes hit a go-ahead inside-the-park HR pinch hitting for Zach Short (fantastic name for a shortstop - if only he could hit ;D).  According to Jason Beck's write-up, it is the FiRST go-ahead, PH inside-the park HR of the expansion era (since 1961).

Something my computer skills are not up to determining - just HOW rare are inside-the-park home runs?  According to another story I saw, this was only the second by a Tiger this year - the other one was by CATCHER Eric Haase (an inside-the-park HR by a catcher must be downright vanishingly rare! :o)  Unless I hear otherwise, I'm gonna assume inside-the-park HRs are far more rare than grand slams, but not quite as rare as triple plays; anyone got stats on this?