1   Chapman   24-9   24-9
2   Trinity (Texas)   29-8   30-9
3   Texas Lutheran   27-8   27-8
4   La Verne   25-9   25-9
5   Concordia University Texas   27-9   27-9
6   Cal Lutheran   23-11   23-11
7   Occidental   23-11   23-11

108 Stitches

If both Trinity and TLU make it to the SCAC championship game they both should make a regional, which is good to see.
If Chapman wins SCIAC it might be tough to see two SCIAC teams in regionals.
NW conf ....smh

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 25, 2019, 12:29:29 PM
If both Trinity and TLU make it to the SCAC championship game they both should make a regional, which is good to see.
If Chapman wins SCIAC it might be tough to see two SCIAC teams in regionals.
NW conf ....smh
I think that the NWC is becoming more balanced. Interleague play shows fairly good results, but they seem to beat themselves up.

Remember. We go to the super-regional format this year.  There are 13  four-team regionals and 3 two-teams regionals playing a best-of-five

We will likely see two Best of five series among 4 teams in Texas and probably a best of 5 in California.  The

I am hoping for an outside team to come to Texas.

Ralph Turner

Whitman knocks off #1 seed Whitworth to earn the NWC Pool A bid.

108 Stitches

Trinity beats TLU in game 1 of the SCAC championship 9 - 3 to force final winner take all game 2. TLU still has the edge in pitching depth but Trinity got 8 innings out of starter Arjun Thakar which should even up the pitching match up a bit.

https://www.scacsports.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/boxscores/20190505_b03a.xml

I would think that both TLU and Trinity should qualify for a regional spot based on previous rankings.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 05, 2019, 05:26:34 PM
Trinity beats TLU in game 1 of the SCAC championship 9 - 3 to force final winner take all game 2. TLU still has the edge in pitching depth but Trinity got 8 innings out of starter Arjun Thakar which should even up the pitching match up a bit.

I would think that both TLU and Trinity should qualify for a regional spot based on previous rankings.

Game 2 has been a good one so far.  As I type this, the TLU 2b boots a routine chopper, base hit, base hit with an awful throwing error, another throwing error to load the bags with 0 out.....and now they reversed the call. And now a 2-run double.  TLU has done everything to give this game away, and Trinity has absolutely pounced on TLU's generocity.

If things hold up the way they are right now, I could see the winner of the SCAC Trinity hosting a 4-team regional with both SCAC schools as the 1 and 2 seed, Concordia (TX) as the 3 seed, and a second SCIAC school as the 4 seed.  The SCIAC getting a second team seems "somewhat" safe right now, but it also depends on Pool C from all over the country.  La Verne or Oxy needs to play in the SCIAC to feel like they have a good shot.  If neither makes the title game, it's going to be a real stressful wait. 

This weeks Regional Rankings will tell the story but I could see the following:

1. Chapman
2. Trinity
3. TLU
4. Concordia
5. Oxy
6. La Verne

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 05, 2019, 07:53:13 PM

Game 2 has been a good one so far.  As I type this, the TLU 2b boots a routine chopper, base hit, base hit with an awful throwing error, another throwing error to load the bags with 0 out.....and now they reversed the call. And now a 2-run double.  TLU has done everything to give this game away, and Trinity has absolutely pounced on TLU's generocity.

If things hold up the way they are right now, I could see the winner of the SCAC Trinity hosting a 4-team regional with both SCAC schools as the 1 and 2 seed, Concordia (TX) as the 3 seed, and a second SCIAC school as the 4 seed.  The SCIAC getting a second team seems "somewhat" safe right now, but it also depends on Pool C from all over the country.  La Verne or Oxy needs to play in the SCIAC to feel like they have a good shot.  If neither makes the title game, it's going to be a real stressful wait. 

1. Chapman
2. Trinity
3. TLU
4. Concordia
5. Oxy
6. La Verne
Do we see 2 SCIAC teams in the playoffs going for a best of 5?

I think that they fly Whitman to Trinity to fill a regional along with Pool C TLU and probably Pool A CTX/(LeTU).

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 05, 2019, 08:31:04 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 05, 2019, 07:53:13 PM

1. Chapman
2. Trinity
3. TLU
4. Concordia
5. Oxy
6. La Verne
Do we see 2 SCIAC teams in the playoffs going for a best of 5?

I think that they fly Whitman to Trinity to fill a regional along with Pool C TLU and probably Pool A CTX/(LeTU).

If so, that would really stink for the SCIAC as it sets president for the NCAA to repeatedly do that if/when multiple schools from the same conference in the West qualify for the regionals.  Other regions have many more options to bus schools around.  I am ok with multiple teams from a conference playing in a regional, just not a 2-team best of 5 series.

Ralph Turner

Oh I agree. Life is tough out here on the archipelago!

I would like for a SCIAC team to come to Texas.

There are 3 two-game pods to be played.

There may be a travel orphan out of the South in which one of the pods needs to be played.

The third pod might be used in either the Central or Midwest Region.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 05, 2019, 08:35:49 PM
If so, that would really stink for the SCIAC as it sets president for the NCAA to repeatedly do that if/when multiple schools from the same conference in the West qualify for the regionals.  Other regions have many more options to bus schools around.  I am ok with multiple teams from a conference playing in a regional, just not a 2-team best of 5 series.

I think the NCAA agrees with you. They will do what they need to do for competitive regionals. Years ago, they started adding more than the minimum flights so I do not see either the SCAC or the SLIAC playing each other in a two team regional.

I expect to see two SCIAC and SCAC schools selected along with Whitman and the ASC winner awarded bids and nothing this weekend has convinced me different.  Look for TLU and Whitman to fly to So. Cal to play at Chapman (assumes Chapman gets to the SCIAC title game) with the ASC winner playing Trinity at Trinity (Trinity will be top 2 in West regional rankings).  This is the cheapest way to avoid a single conference two team regional and rewards the top teams in the region with home games.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 06, 2019, 12:39:18 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 05, 2019, 08:35:49 PM

I think the NCAA agrees with you. They will do what they need to do for competitive regionals. Years ago, they started adding more than the minimum flights so I do not see either the SCAC or the SLIAC playing each other in a two team regional.

I expect to see two SCIAC and SCAC schools selected along with Whitman and the ASC winner awarded bids and nothing this weekend has convinced me different.  Look for TLU and Whitman to fly to So. Cal to play at Chapman (assumes Chapman gets to the SCIAC title game) with the ASC winner playing Trinity at Trinity (Trinity will be top 2 in West regional rankings).  This is the cheapest way to avoid a single conference two team regional and rewards the top teams in the region with home games.

Is it fair to assume that you believe it is cheaper to fly teams to LA and not San Antonio?

Ralph Turner

I took the position that one flight was cheaper than two with the bulk pricing that the NCAA has with the airlines.

Candidly, I have seen so many times when I felt like the West Region/ ASC/ SCAC has gotten the wrong end of the 50/50 call, so that 50/50 is more like 40/60 in real life.

If Jim is correct by his logic, then I applaud his insight and the wisdom of the NCAA.

Ron Boerger

Good thing the championships don't start this weekend .. Texas has been inundated with rain for the last month and it's supposed to rain every day through the weekend.   Hopefully it will dry out before next weekend

Jack Parkman

New Regional Rankings are out...

1. Chapman
2. Trinity
3. Texas Lutheran
4. La Verne
5. Occidental
6. Concordia (TX)
7. Cal Lutheran