MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noonhooper

Totally disagree that Wiley is the best player "by miles". If you like scoring, he can get a bucket on his own pretty regularly and that is great. But what is also great is defending three or four positions (sometimes even five depending on the matchup), rebounding and scoring. Both players are important to their success but Wiley has been out for some games or struggled in some matchups and they have done fine without him. I seem to remember you touting leading scorers in the past as "the best player" and I think the way Swat plays makes that not necessarily true.

Swat Fan #1

Quote from: noonhooper on January 02, 2019, 06:02:05 PM
Totally disagree that Wiley is the best player "by miles". If you like scoring, he can get a bucket on his own pretty regularly and that is great. But what is also great is defending three or four positions (sometimes even five depending on the matchup), rebounding and scoring. Both players are important to their success but Wiley has been out for some games or struggled in some matchups and they have done fine without him. I seem to remember you touting leading scorers in the past as "the best player" and I think the way Swat plays makes that not necessarily true.
I have never said that. However, a guy who leads a team in scoring, assists, and steals and is the clear leader of the team is the best player. He was chosen as an All-American. You have no idea what you are talking about.

noonhooper

Wiley is scoring 1.3 points more than O'Dell, and is actually FOURTH in steals while O'Dell leads them (not that steals mean much considering Swat has never gotten many steals in their defense). And )'Dell leads the team in rebounds and blocks and Wiley leads in assists. Why would you say he is "the clear leader"? The best thing about Swat is that they are equal-opportunity on offense and play great team defense. I was just saying that Wiley isn't "miles" better than other guys on the floor. It isn't a solo act. Both guys are good and both are necessary for the team to do well. As is Shafer's defensive presence as a shot-blocker, and Harkins as a shooter, and Abass as an on-ball defender. Wiley and O'Dell will get recognition at the end of the year if they keep playing like this.  I think I have some idea what I am talking about, thanks!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on January 02, 2019, 08:16:26 PM
Quote from: noonhooper on January 02, 2019, 06:02:05 PM
I have never said that. However, a guy who leads a team in scoring, assists, and steals and is the clear leader of the team is the best player. He was chosen as an All-American. You have no idea what you are talking about.

He was an All-American two years ago.  I don't like to criticize student athletes too much, so I'll just say O'Dell has and continues to grow into his potential and expand his game.  I stand by what I said; I think he's the best player in the conference, perhaps the entire Mid-Atlantic region.  A really talented, well-rounded player who keeps improving.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

noonhooper

Agreed, I felt a little icky even comparing the two, just thought they both deserved credit for the good Swat start.

I am excited to see this conference get started and see who will separate themselves from the middle group of Ursinus, Dickinson, Muhlenberg and Gettysburg (the Devils already have Ws against two of the other teams). Out of the presumed best teams the first semester conf schedule was kindest to Hopkins, can they keep it rolling? Ursinus has the deadly Tue/Thu/Sat week with both JHU and F&M coming up. If you can go 2-1 in that stretch you gotta feel good about yourself!  A great thing about this league is that every "top level" team has a weakness and usually there is a bad matchup lower in the standings they have to overcome. That will make it fun!

Gabriel

Quote from: noonhooper on January 03, 2019, 11:43:15 AM
Agreed, I felt a little icky even comparing the two, just thought they both deserved credit for the good Swat start.

I am excited to see this conference get started and see who will separate themselves from the middle group of Ursinus, Dickinson, Muhlenberg and Gettysburg (the Devils already have Ws against two of the other teams). Out of the presumed best teams the first semester conf schedule was kindest to Hopkins, can they keep it rolling? Ursinus has the deadly Tue/Thu/Sat week with both JHU and F&M coming up. If you can go 2-1 in that stretch you gotta feel good about yourself!  A great thing about this league is that every "top level" team has a weakness and usually there is a bad matchup lower in the standings they have to overcome. That will make it fun!

The Ursinus trifecta next week includes McDaniel at McDaniel (never ever easy), JHU at Ursinus and F&M in Lancaster.  The scheduler did them no favors.

diplomaniac1

The box score shows that Slyka did not play at all for F&M against Neuman on Thursday night. Does anyone know why? Injury? Other? Thanks.

Eric

njf1003

Quote from: diplomaniac1 on January 05, 2019, 08:51:26 AM

The box score shows that Slyka did not play at all for F&M against Neuman on Thursday night. Does anyone know why? Injury? Other? Thanks.

Eric
They just said on the broadcast tonight that he's battling an injury and was cleared to play.

Swat Fan #1

What a wild Tuesday night. Hopkins is on a downward spiral, F&M loses a game while opponent shoots 33% and 15% from 3, and Gettysburg puts up absolutely no fight against Swat in the second half. The standings bunched up last night.  Can anyone from JH explain their downward trend. They were playing some really good ball before the holidays.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on January 09, 2019, 05:41:16 AM
What a wild Tuesday night. Hopkins is on a downward spiral, F&M loses a game while opponent shoots 33% and 15% from 3, and Gettysburg puts up absolutely no fight against Swat in the second half. The standings bunched up last night.  Can anyone from JH explain their downward trend. They were playing some really good ball before the holidays.

Connor Delaney hasn't played the last three games.  I'm not sure how bad his injury is, but that takes some adjustment.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 09, 2019, 06:32:31 AM

Connor Delaney hasn't played the last three games.  I'm not sure how bad his injury is, but that takes some adjustment.

He's out for the season ... as discussed in both games in Vegas :)

He had surgery on a broken foot during the break - can't remember the cause of the break, but stress fracture or something comes to mind.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Didn't mention the insane game at McDaniel with Ursinus in town. Second half was tight, then the Green Terror go on a ... sorry, tear and take a 12 point lead. It waffles between six and eight for a good long while then suddenly the Bears go on their own run. Closing minute, Ursinus looking to ice the game leading by two have their pockets' picked ... McDaniel doesn't see the wide open man on the break and eventually call time out. Out of the break, a hell of a play gives McDaniel the chance to tie it inside and a huge block ... and Ursinus survives. It was crazy.

Ursinus has Hopkins and Swat ahead in the next three games.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gabriel

While watching the F&M game last night, I thought I saw Glenn Robinson on the bench.  Is he back?

noonhooper

He IS back! Glad he is healthy and returned to the sideline. Not a Dips fan, but its more fun when he's over there yelling and complaining haha.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

He returned to the bench for their game on 12/28.