MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on February 13, 2020, 06:13:52 PM
Thanks Dave!  I guess I can see that in a big Division I gym, but it seemed strange having it on the wall like that. 

I'll reserve judgement for when I get to a set-up like that.

That is the second one just in the Baltimore area for DIII schools.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

noonhooper

One week left in the regular season. Would be interested to hear some picks on the end of season awards. A lot of great individual players in this conference and a lot of teams that stepped up.

Wednesday's big game is Mules vs Bears. While in natural world this would be an easy pick, on the hardwood the Mules have a chance to lock up a spot in the tournament and send the fifth-place spot into a complete guessing game going into the last weekend. Exciting finish ahead!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

COY: Patrick Doherty (Haverford)
POY: Conner Delaney (Hopkins)
ROY: Justin Allen (Muhlenberg) ... maybe?

ROY I am less sure about.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gabriel

COY: Doherty (Haverford)
POY: O'Dell (Swat)
ROY: DeAngelo (Swat)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm not sure who to go with for COY - certainly Landry has done a pretty great job having his team ready to go, but it would also be cool to honor one of the teams that's outperformed expectations.

For me, Delaney is POY, hands down.  Deangelo has got to be ROY
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CCD3Basketball

Player Of The Year: Delaney. He's the most important player in the entire league, and it's not even close. Take him off of JHU and they aren't in the position they're in. Swarthmore is so deep that even if they lose O'Dell, they would still be okay. Not the same, sure, but not a dramatic drop off.

Rookie Of The Year: Yeah, it has to be DeAngelo. He's been the guy now whose been pegged to fill the shoes of Cam Wiley and he's responded well.

Coach Of The Year: Doherty. Yes, if the Garnet finish off the undefeated regular season he'll get a lot of looks, and he should, but the Garnet were SUPPOSED to be good this year. But did ANYONE see Haverford being two wins shy of their school record, in the season after they graduated not one, but TWO 1,000+ point scorers? For that, it has to be Doherty, for me.
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

ronk

Quote from: CCD3Basketball on February 17, 2020, 07:17:28 PM
Player Of The Year: Delaney. He's the most important player in the entire league, and it's not even close. Take him off of JHU and they aren't in the position they're in. Swarthmore is so deep that even if they lose O'Dell, they would still be okay. Not the same, sure, but not a dramatic drop off.

Rookie Of The Year: Yeah, it has to be DeAngelo. He's been the guy now whose been pegged to fill the shoes of Cam Wiley and he's responded well.

Coach Of The Year: Doherty. Yes, if the Garnet finish off the undefeated regular season he'll get a lot of looks, and he should, but the Garnet were SUPPOSED to be good this year. But did ANYONE see Haverford being two wins shy of their school record, in the season after they graduated not one, but TWO 1,000+ point scorers? For that, it has to be Doherty, for me.

So, how much weight should be given that(relative value to your team) vs whether one is the most outstanding player regardless of how much your teammates depend on you?

CCD3Basketball

It's all relative and different based on whose looking at it, I suppose. I just look at it from the standpoint of, Delaney's numbers are outstanding and he elevates the play of everyone around him, while also carrying the team at times when he has to. Whereas with O'Dell, the Garnet can have him off the floor for a while and they still click and roll along because that team is so incredibly deep.

I'm only mentioning these two, by the way, because I think it's between those two as to who wins it

And honestly, O'Dell might wind up being the guy who wins it, and I also wouldn't argue with it either. It's just, for me watching as many games as possible from afar (and seeing all of these guys in person once a year when they come to my gym), and for really anyone whose closely paid attention to the Blue Jays the last two years, I think we all know just how drastically different the Blue Jays have been, with and without Delaney on the floor, and that alone combined with his numbers is enough to push it over the top for me. But again, if it winds up being O'Dell, it wouldn't surprise me, and I couldn't argue too terribly much about it.
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

noonhooper

Funny to me that a team who might go unbeaten in conference could have zero major individual awards. But I think that is more a testament to the style of play and kind of players they have at Swarthmore. Everyone touches the ball, everyone contributes, and on any given night you might have the best game on the team. Hard to prepare for that. I do hope that Zac, Connor, Nate, Visconti, DeAngelo get some pub for the great seasons they have had but I know that all those guys raising a trophy will be the only thing they care about.

I was shocked at how mediocre JHU looked when Delaney has a bad stretch. They are such a good team and they play so well but he really is the spoon that stirs the drink for the Jays.

I am always against the idea of just giving the coach from the first place team COY and definitely think Haverford has exceeded expectations. On the other hand, winning every game is pretty darn hard to do. Hard to fault Doherty or Landry as a choice

Hank Mardukas

As I read the recent post on this blog, I see a lot of unfamiliar faces. As I look to my right I don't see my allies Hoopdog & HopkinNest7. I can only hope that my arch-nemesis Corporal Hicks lost his eyesight so he can no longer live stream Centinal Conference basketball from his mother's basement and make his sophomoric posts. 

As Jay Wright is gearing up to accept the New York Knick's Job, the Villanova head coaching job becomes available. As we all know, Villanova likes to recruit local and I have a credible source (Not Ryan Arcidiacono) that stated Landry is the top candidate to move up the street and take over the Wild Casts. Well deserved is all I can say, although Landry is boring and somewhat dull, he can sure coach a hell of a basketball game and he truly inspires and motivates his players. 

The question is who takes Landry's job after he leaves? Some of the more recent fans might not remember this name, but he was Cesar before Brutas brutally betrayed him. Scott Fitzgerald McClary.

The Cent needs Coach McClary back and this move makes more sense than purchasing bitcoin in the spring of 2018. McClary perfected the 3-2 zone defense even with unathletic guards like John Schreer and Michael Cera. This is all adding up to an amazing 2021 season and the rise of the Centinal Conference.
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Hank Mardukas on February 18, 2020, 09:05:02 PM
As I read the recent post on this blog, I see a lot of unfamiliar faces. As I look to my right I don't see my allies Hoopdog & HopkinNest7. I can only hope that my arch-nemesis Corporal Hicks lost his eyesight so he can no longer live stream Centinal Conference basketball from his mother's basement and make his sophomoric posts. 

As Jay Wright is gearing up to accept the New York Knick's Job, the Villanova head coaching job becomes available. As we all know, Villanova likes to recruit local and I have a credible source (Not Ryan Arcidiacono) that stated Landry is the top candidate to move up the street and take over the Wild Casts. Well deserved is all I can say, although Landry is boring and somewhat dull, he can sure coach a hell of a basketball game and he truly inspires and motivates his players. 

The question is who takes Landry's job after he leaves? Some of the more recent fans might not remember this name, but he was Cesar before Brutas brutally betrayed him. Scott Fitzgerald McClary.

The Cent needs Coach McClary back and this move makes more sense than purchasing bitcoin in the spring of 2018. McClary perfected the 3-2 zone defense even with unathletic guards like John Schreer and Michael Cera. This is all adding up to an amazing 2021 season and the rise of the Centinal Conference.

I thought that pompous only showed up on the NESCAC boards!! ;)

Swat Fan #1

Well that is pretty wild rumors. So much so, I had to call my son at 12:30am to let him know about them.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on March 01, 2020, 12:30:03 AM
Well that is pretty wild rumors. So much so, I had to call my son at 12:30am to let him know about them.

Having grown with the Wright's (Jay babysat us and Derek is one of my best friends to this day), I'm in a decent position to comment on these "rumors". Jay has felt the tug a few times, but he is "King" at Nova and has a job for life (talk to Nick Saban about the grass being greener). He is a College Hall of Fame level basketball coach. If given the choice between staying at Nova, going to the 76ers or Knicks..............here is the order:

1. Stay at Nova
2. 76ers
3. Knicks

Now, if Crazy Dolan throws enough money (and stock) at him.........who knows. But it is a family decision and he loves life on our beautiful Main Line. New York is fun to visit, but to live........give me the Main Line any day of the week.

Also, Landry is about 8th in line out of 7 potential replacement candidates. That part is complete phooey................unless the first seven were to all turn the opportunity down.

I could tell you right now and right here who Nova's next coach (if he were to depart after this season), as well as who has been tabbed to take over for the legend himself, the Shot Doctor, my man Herbie Magee, at Jefferson University. I won't....................because Kate (his daughter, not the poster from the MAC board) would kill me!! ;)